Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Home Sweet Home

I used a newly learned technique on my card background today.  
Over this past weekend I attended 2 workshops by Wendy Vecchi (see this post and this post) and one of the myriad of techniques she taught us was this wonderful 'marble-look' background.  To make it you first need Ranger Specialty Stamping Paper - that is somewhat like glossy card stock - but not as glossy (it may work on glossy card stock - I haven't tried it yet!).  You pour a puddle of rubbing alcohol on a non-stick craft mat and mix a drop of Archival Reinker into it (I used Cornflower blue - you can use more colors if you want).  Then you drag your paper through it and dry it with your heat gun tilting it to move the drips around and dropping more alcohol right on the paper if you want to change the look.  Then you dry it completely with the heat gun
I then used Ranger Distress Stains to color two of my chipboard houses and one I inked with Cornflower Blue Archival Ink.  I layered them to the panel with foam dots.   I stamped the sentiment from Waltzingmouse on white card stock and punched it with a circle punch.  Then I simply layered the panel to a white panel and then to the blue card base.

I was inspired by the following challenges for my card today:
The Jugs Inspiration Photo - I was inspired by the blues and the patterns of the sky
Less is More - to use 3 of something -  I used 3 houses and 3 colors of blue.

Stamps:  A Cottage Home - Waltzingmouse
Paper:  White, Blueberry Sky - PTI, Specialty Stamping Paper - Ranger.
Ink:  Cornflower Blue ink pad and re-inker - Archival, Ranger Distress Stains - Salty Ocean, Tumbled Glass.
Accessories:  Rubbing alcohol, foam dots, Glue N Seal - Ranger, 1 1/4" circle EK Success, non-stick Craft Mat - Ranger, heat gun, chipboard mini houses - Maya Road.

17 comments:

Deepti said...

This looks awesome :) the marbled BG... Wow !! I am glad and thankful u shared this technique with us, will have to try it !

Sharyn Polesel said...

I love your wonderful blue background. Thanks for sharing the technique! Thanks for joining us at Just Us Girls!

Annette Allen said...

WOW this is amazing.. I love that background and the added houses are perfect.. FABULOUS card..

jo anne78 said...

thanks so much for sharing the WV class artwork!!! she is my very favorite. I live in CO, so couldn't attend the classes, darn it. I have been a rubber stamper (greeting cards) for about l4 yrs. and now have switched entirely over to all the TH Distress products and stamping techniques plus WV stamps, Archivals, stencils, etc. love it!


Sue VanDeVusse said...

Very cool background! Thanks for including the how to do it. So glad you joined us this week at JUGS!

dpkennedy said...

Ooh, love that cool background! Sweet card lady!

Nancy said...

Love that background looks like marbleizing...Great card! Thanks for playing along with the Girls and I at JUGS~

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful Julia! Love the gorgeous background and the sweet felt houses!

Anne said...

Absolutely stunning background, gorgeous card, thanks for sharing. We do like to see some "white space" for LIM cards though...
Thanks so much for joining us at LIM
Anne
LIM Guest commenter

Chrissie said...

I'm sorry I was MIA as far as commenting was concerned during my recent holiday in Australia, but hopefully I'll now be back up to speed once more!
This is fab as ever... love the background but it would be great to see a touch more white space!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Mary Marsh said...

Love the bg you created Julia-sounds like a great class you attended

stampwithsandy said...

Love your marbled background technique, Julia! Great job combining challenges, too. Thanks for playing along with my sketch challenge this week at The Paper Players!

Joni Andaya said...

So GORGEOUS with the Background :)

Vicki Dutcher said...

Awesome background!! Thanks for joining in with JUGS~

wendy vecchi said...

very nice Julia!
it's a fun technique!

Kim Heggins said...

Gorgeous card and what a stunning background...so inspiring!

Shirley said...

Love that BG and the house colors are wonderful with it! Great card!