Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A Little Box of Bits and Bobs

Ok - so about a year ago, a friend at church gave me a bag of these unfinished boxes (probably from Michaels?). She was going to make something with them but never did and was cleaning up her room and decided she wouldn't be using them after all.

She asked me if I might like them - and of course I said 'Yes' ! (having no idea what I would do with them!! LOL!)


Fast forward a year or so - and along comes our Claire who creates a wonderful stamp set called Little Box Labels (which you may have noticed I can't seem to put down!?) and suddenly I have an idea of what to use these for!!! I run up to the attic to retrieve these little saved treasures.

And here is my little "Bits and Bobs" box!

I painted it up with some acrylic paint, sprayed it with a matte finish and cut panels of Cosmo Cricket designer paper to glue on each of the 6 sides of the box. I just traced the edge of one panel and cut 6 pieces of DP slightly smaller on all sides and glued them on - easy peasy! I sponged all the edges with More Mustard Ink - punched the edge of the paper, added a library clip, a paper clip and a flower and tucked it behind the ribbon!


The box is about 3" high and 4" across at the top - it tapers down a bit to the bottom.


You probably all recognize the 'bits and bobs' inside my box (I just grabbed a lot of stuff from my stamping table!) This will look so cute on my work table, or on the kitchen counter, or on my desk, or on dear husband's workbench (ok, so maybe I'll make one in 'manly' colors for his workbench!) but you get the idea - this will look cute (AND be useful) anywhere you put it!!


Thanks so much for coming by today - I hope you are inspired by my little box and this really fun stamp set!!

Stamps: Waltzingmouse Stamps - Little Box Labels
Paper: DP'Cosmo Cricket - The Boyfriend/homework, Early Bird/Cherry Pie
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, More Mustard - SU
Accessories: saddle stitched pure poppy ribbon - PTI, Library Clip - SU, ink dauber, distresser - Heidi Swapp, wooden box - Michaels?, Delta Ceramcoat Acrylic paint - bright red, clear acrylic spray sealer matte finish, Primas, spiral punch - SU, brad - Basic gray, Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Julia. It is like watching your creative process before our eyes. It is gorgeous. Connie NH

suezie said...

Gee I sure hope your friend gets a decorated box as a gift - what a lovely surprise that would be a year on. Very cute idea - love it.

Bonnie said...

This is gorgeous Julia! Gotta love a spot for all those Bits & Bobs!

Busym1 said...

I love it! I would love to see a "manly" one! So cute! Hugs, michelle

Crystal said...

Julia waht a fantastic idea...I just love this, my teacher friend would go crazy over this one!!! AWESOME project and thanks for the inspiration!

crafticious said...

Hi Julia

It's fantastic - gorgeous with an inventive twist - as always! How many do you have?

If I managed to visit every day I don't think I could keep up with you.

Mum and I have an award for you on our crafticious blog

Don't mind if you don't have the time but we've featured you because you're 'BRILL'!

Elaine X

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

You always have the BEST ideas!! I'd like to just borrow your brain for a day or two to see what it's like!!!LOL! Great project!!!

Lynn McAuley said...

What a transformation!! I love what you have created using this box and a few bits of paper and ribbon!! Absolutely delightful!!

Unknown said...

julia, this is magic, your finished box looks brilliant, what a transformation!!!!! Gorgeous, who wouldn't want one!!

Allison Rankin said...

OMG...Julia, I love this. I want you to send it to me...right now! Off to post it!

Marge said...

This is fabulous, Julia! I'm so inspired by Claire's stamps & your creative ability -- just haven't figured out how to "inspire" my bank account to "GROW" -- LOL!!!

Joan B said...

Perfect use of this set. Gorgeous.

Heidi said...

If I hadn't already ordered this set, your project would have sent me after it! What an adorable box! I love how useful and pretty it is. You're so creative!

Beverly said...

I love it Julia!! What a fabulous little box - excellent idea!

Velta said...

You are so creative...this is adorable...and useful as well!!

rumma said...

nice work.

Carolina said...

Well you know how much I love altered items and you just nailed this one!!! Gorgeous while useful too!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a stunning box!! I just love it!! The colors and paper are beautiful! The tag you added with the sponging, spirals and added details is fab!

anya said...

Julia, you are just awesome! I love this - simple, yet it transforms that box! The little library card is a perfect touch. You have just been rockin' this set! I love everything you've made :)

Cindy Haffner said...

Julia what fun, I love this.

Denise Marzec said...

Oh my gosh, LOVE LOVE LOOOOVE this!!

Kelly S. said...

You are just the Queen of Templates and Altered Thingies! This is sooo cute, and love the Cosmo Cricket/Waltzingmouse combo!

Susie Sugar said...

Wow this pot is amazing
I have just been going through you blog your cards and projects are stunning
Hugs Susie xx