Friday, December 4, 2009

Little Box Labels - New Waltzingmouse Set!

I am so excited to show you my project made with some of the stamps in Claire's new set being released this weekend called Little Box Labels from Waltzingmouse Stamps! I used the label, two of the words, and the great jug of cooking utensils on this fun recipe box. The little mit and cup are chipboard shapes from The What's Cookin set by Maya Road that I covered with designer paper (the back side of Basic Grey/Nook & Pantry/Teapots) .

I inherited my mother's recipe box when she passed 7 years ago and I thought it would be nice to have a special place to put my favorite ones so I could find them easily.
I am just so thrilled that Claire, who's from Ireland, spelled Mum with a 'u'. Even though we live in the US - my family always spelled 'mum' this way - (it wasn't until I was older that I realized it was because of our English/Irish/Scotish heritage!) And, of course, most published stuff in the US spells it 'Mom' so I would always be crossing out the 'o' and inserting a 'u' when I gave anything to my Mum! (this was in my pre-card making days!)

I found the instructions for this little box over on Sharon's No Time to Stamp blog over a year ago. I had printed it out then knowing that SOME DAY I'd want to make one! It's really simple to put together.
You start with a 10 1/4" x 7 1/2" piece of cardstock. Holding the short edge against the top ruler on your Scor Pal, move the left edge of the cardstock over to the 1/4" mark, then score at 3" and 5".

Turn the paper so the long side is against the top ruler and score at 2". Slide the cardstock to the right so the right edge is all the way over at 12 and score at 10".

Cut on the score lines as shown below and trim a little bit off of the center pieces so it folds up easier.

Attach Scor Tape to the edges and fold up your box!

I used this wonderful Designer Paper from Basic Grey called Nook and Pantry/Beaters for the fronts and sides. I think it gives the perfect nostalgic look for these old, well used recipes! The front & back panels are 2 1/2" x 6" and the side panels are 1 3/4" x 2 1/2". Be sure you are holding the DP the correct way when you cut if the pattern has directionality to it's design!

I made my cards by cutting white card stock into 4"x6" pieces. (you could also use 4x6 index cards) The DP border is 1 1/4" x 6". After I attached the DP - I cut the corners with my Zutter corner rounder. I'm not sure yet if I will use these tabbed cards as dividers for all the recipes - or if I will attach the recipe right to them and put the name of the recipe on the tag.

Below you see the box from the back - I used a 24" piece of saddlestitched ribbon and knotted it in the back so even the back looks pretty!

I used the Round Top Tab punch from SU for the tabs and I just stapled them onto the cards.

So be sure to hop over to Waltzingmouse Stamps to check out this set as well as her new Labels set (they fit the Labels Five Nestabilities as does the label in the set I used today!) - Claire's stamps seem to sell out quickly so if you like it - be sure to put it in your cart!!
She's posting the new sets either Friday or Saturday - so if they aren't there when you look - be sure to check back!

And also take a peek at the other Design Team members listed on my side bar - we'll all be showing projects using the new stamp sets over the next week or two! (as well as Claire herself!)

Thanks so much for coming by - I'd love to hear what you think of the recipe box as well as the stamps!
ETA: please go and check out Anya's gorgeous card using this new set!

Stamps: Waltzingmouse - Little Box Labels
Paper: Terracotta Tile - PTI, Wild Wasabi - SU, DP Basic Grey/Nook & Pantry - Beaters, Nook & Pantry Tea Pots (the back side)
Ink: Chai, Terracotta Tile - PTI, Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: Terracotta tile ribbons - PTI, Scor Tape, Scor Pal, Cropadile, big eyelet - SU, What's Cookin Mini Chipboard Set - Maya Road, Labels Eight Nestability, paper piercer, Zutter Corner Rounder, Copics: E11, E13, E33, E40, YG03, Stapler, Round Tab punch - SU, glue dots, foam dimensionals, silver spica.

16 comments:

anya said...

Julia, I love it! The design is just fabulous and I think it is wonderful that you have created something special in which to keep the recipes you inherited. I know how meaningful it must be to have all those hand-written recipe cards. Anyway, I love it and thank you for the mini-tutorial as well! Great job, girl - I can't wait to see what else you've made!

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

What a wonderful project to house your Mum's handwritten recipes!! I love the dp you used, and won't this be lovely sitting out on your counter to use daily, and for all to see! TFS!!

Busym1 said...

What a beautiful box for your mum's recipes! I cal my mother , mum, too! Thanks for sharing this! Hugs, michelle

Niki Estes said...

Julia, I just love this! Great colors and design!

Unknown said...

Julia, this is just fabulous! what a lovely home for your mum's treasured recipes!

Unknown said...

Julia, what a wonderful little recipe box! I love that it spells 'MUM' that way because that is the way I spell it too! Great idea for your mum's recipes!:)

Pat (mspfd) said...

This is a fantastic holder for your treasured recipes. Way to go, Julia.

Heidi said...

Julia, your box is beautiful! It is such a great design. Your little jug of utensils is perfect as is the rest of the project!

farmhouse-story said...

i really like this, julia! tfs!

Bonnie said...

Gorgeous Julia! and thank you for that lovely tutorial - (I need all the direction I can get!!)
These are wonderful colours and what a tribute to your mum!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Beautiful way to hold onto those precious recipes from Mum. Love the box, thank you for the instructions, and inspired as usual! Hugs.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful and fun project Julia!! I love it!! :)

Joanne (jojot) said...

this is so wonderful ...in design and purpose...what a great repository for you fav of your mum's recipes

Marge said...

This is a wonderful project & I know your Mum is smiling down & feeling proud!!!

Renee said...

Another awesome idea and so so cute! I may have to try this out myself!

Tosha Leyendekker said...

Too, too clever, cute and beautiful!! LOVE the colors of your sweet little recipe box!! Love the mitt and mug too!! LOVE this!