Thursday, December 18, 2008

Happy Chanukah and a Spellbinders DT Call

A couple of posts ago I showed you the cute Dreidels I made as part of Chanukah gifts I was making for the doctors I work for. I finally finished all the treats and thought I'd share them with you. I got these pretty baskets at Christmas Tree Shop for $1.99 and they worked just perfectly to present all my treats! These are the dreidels again - I found the pattern on Marthastewart.com under crafts/dreidel. I filled them with a bag of sugar spiced nuts that I made using the wonderful recipe that Denise (peanutbee on SCS) published on her blog. I printed labels on my computer to label each item.

I wrapped up some Biscotti in these fun bags that I got from Papertrey Ink and then just tied a pretty red ribbon around it. You can see the recipe for the Biscotti on this post
Next up - I made these delicious Oatmeal raizin cookies from a recipe I found last year in Martha Stewart's magazine. The article also showed how to use window CD envelopes to make each cookie a little present in itself! I decorated mine using the Mazel Tov stamp set from Papertrey Ink. I embossed the image with silver embossing powder and then colored the candles with Copics. The framing scalloped circles were punched using Marvy punches.

I just love this little cake box container that I found while blog hopping - it's made from one 8.5" x 11" sheet of card stock. You can see the tutorial for this on Mary Jo's blog here. I used Ballet Blue card stock. The designer paper is Snowy Day from Stampin Up. I punched the lacey edges with a Martha Stewart punch. Inside is a yummy loaf of banana bread that I made using whole wheat flour instead of white. They came out a little more dense and have a subtle nutty flavor. I just attached a ribbon around the bread and a printed label saying what it was.

And the last treat is a yummy rum cake with pecans on the top that you make using a yellow cake mix and instant vanilla pudding (and rum of course!). I wrapped the bundtlette cake in cellophane then placed it in this flat bottom clear bag that I got from Clearbags.com. I cut a blue piece of card stock to go over the white piece that was already on the bottom of the bag. The top was made using a Labels One die from Spellbinders and my cuttlebug. I stamped the dots from the Polka Dots Basic set using Vintage Cream ink from - both Papertrey. The sentiment is from the PTI Mazel Tov set and punched with the curvy edge frame punch from Stampin Up

Since Chanukah starts this Sunday - I gave the baskets to the doctors today - and they both absolutely loved them and appreciated that I had made all the treats and the packaging as well. One of them said he didn't even want to eat the treats because it would ruin the beautiful presentation - a most satisfactory response for a crafter don't you think??!?!? It's so nice when our efforts are appreciated!

And I appreciate that you stop by here to check out what I'm up to! I'll be by to visit you too!

Oh!! and check this out - Spellbinders is looking for new Design Team Members they have some super perks if you make the cut! (is that a pun?!) I just love all the nestabilities and spell binder dies don't you!? I used the Labels one die on the rum cake packaging just above.

6 comments:

Theresa Momber said...

Wow! Love the basket of goodies. These are all fantastic!

LeAnne said...

Julia, these are wonderful! Thanks for the link to the little bread container--I just made 8 mini pumpkin breads--now I can make some fun packages for them!
LeAnne

Bev J. said...

What a great presentation and the baked goods look yummy! tfs

Joan Ervin said...

Julia...you are amazing!!! I can't believe all the work you put into the wonderful gifts for your bosses...I know they will appreciate every one!!!

Shirley said...

Wow! Julia, you are something else. I can tell you the doctors were beside themselves with happiness that someone was that thoughtful! How beautiful your gift is. I can believe what the doctor said about not eating it and why.

Jami said...

I'm so amazed at all the projects you create - and they are presented so wonderfully in that basket!! Beautiful!!
hugs, Jami