Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Cheerleader, the Celtics, Santa on the Roof and a Tree

First, I'll show you my card for the Split Coast color challenge. I used Cameo Coral and So saffron but substituted Plum Pudding by Papertrey Ink for the Orchid that was listed.

I had to struggle a bit with these colors as they are not ones I'd usually reach for! I used a fun cheer leader stamp from the H&M Stamp set called a Girls Obsession that I framed with 3 pieces cut with my Spellbinders Label One. I punched the stars out of So Saffron card stock and put a little bit of gold stickles on them for some shimmer.

Stamps: H&M Stamp Company: A Girls Obsession - Sentiment: All about Birthdays
Paper: Cameo Coral, So Saffron: SU, White & Guidelines Collection DP: PTI
Ink: Plum Pudding: PTI
Accessories: star punch, foam dimensionals, ribbon: Berry Sorbet saddle stitched: PTI, Spellbinders Labels One

I bought my dear husband tickets to a Boston Celtics Basketball game for Christmas and wanted to make a card to give them to him in. So today's sketch challenge on Split Coast gave me the design for my card!There is no stamping on this - just stickers and cuttlebuging. I used the Spiderweb folder on the metallic green back ground panel to loosely represent the lines in the basketball - and the mesh folder on the two panels for the texture of the ball.

I found the Celtic logo on line and printed it on card stock. The basketball is a foam sticky.

Stamps: none!
Paper: white: PTI, more mustard: SU, Metallic foil board: Grafix
Ink: more mustard: SU
Accessories: basketball word stickers: Paper house :Michaels, sponge, foam dimensionals, Spider Web and Mesh Cuttlebug folders, Celtics logo: from website, foam basketball (Michaels)


And here is the most delightful card I just received from my SCS buddy - Cindy (Mothermark) She is truly a paper artist - very often not using stamps on her cards at all!

Inside she wrote her own little poem about the economy being so bad and postage so costly and how she decided making a card with no ribbons, brads or bows but just Santa inverted in the chimney and showing his toes would be the cost saving answer (it's a super funny rhyming ditty but I felt I shouldn't write out the whole thing - it being her own creation etc!)

And one final picture of our Christmas tree this year - it's an artificial one but I think it looks very real - it's new this year. After ALWAYS having a real tree and HATING fake trees - the cost of the real ones and the fact that they usually don't even have the wonderful pine smell anymore since they are cut so long before we purchase them - I finally succumed and bought this - and I LOVE it! and if I light my Yankee pine candle - you'd swear it was real - I keep telling DH - don't forget to water the tree!!! LOL~!!!

My kitty, Scout, loves to sit under the tree (!)

And you can see how much Boo loves her holiday Antlers!!!

Have a blessed Christmas and Happy Chanukah everyone!!

7 comments:

Heather said...

Fabulous cards and so wonderful to see your tree! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Blessings!

Heather

Lauri said...

Love your challenge card and the Celtics card is too cool!!!!! Thanks for sharing the card from Cindy, too! Have a wonderful holiday! I love the pic of your cat under the tree!

Shirley said...

Great cards, Julia! and the cat is too cute, espeically where he went to hide. LOLOLOL and your tree is wonderful too~! I love Cindy's card. Too cute~

~amy~ said...

FUN cards Julia....pretty tree and what a great cat :) Merry Christmas!!!

Rebecca Ednie said...

Boy I would struggle to use those challenge colours too! Please ask cindy if you can show us her poem. Great job!

Susan said...

Merry Christmas, my dear friend!

Love your Boston Celtics card...what fun it will be for your DH! When I first looked at it, I thought how cool you had a Celtics Stamp! I like all the Cuddle-Bugged mats!

Jami said...

Love that Celtics card - the web looks like you're looking down through the net!!

Your kitties are too cute,and your tree is beautiful!!! Hope you had a fabulous Christmas!
hugs, Jami