Monday, December 6, 2010

Welcome to Day 1 of the Waltzingmouse Twelve Days of Christmas!


Normally at this time, we'd be previewing new stamp sets for release. However, there will be no release this month in order to allow Claire time to focus on a few "behind the scenes" plans that will take us to the next level in the new year.

It's all very exciting, so we ask that you bear with us! It will be worth it! Instead, we're coming together to bring you some ideas and inspiration for holiday crafting (and beyond) which we are calling 12 Days of Christmas Waltzingmouse Style! Each day will showcase a different design team member, so be sure to check back daily through December 17th for the links... and enjoy!

Welcome to the 1st day of the Waltzingmouse 12 Days of Christmas!


Today - I'm sharing some really easy wrapping ideas!

Please note: you can see the supply list and links for all projects at the end of my post.

My first project is OH SO simple! I just printed out a sheet of Claire's Celtic Squares Digital Patterned Paper (I printed it on a sheet of off white stationary that is slightly heavier than plain computer paper - I got a package of it at Staples some time ago) When you print it there is a small border all around so I just cut that off. This is a 4"x4"x1" jewelrey box and it fit perfectly on this sheet with a little to spare. (If your box is bigger - you can just tape pieces of the DP together - I'd use Scor tape to be sure it's a good hold and overlap the edges)

I just wrapped the box and tied this lovely wide striped ribbon around with a knot.

Then I stamped my tag and cut it out with a Circle Nestability. Above you can see what I stamped on the back of the tag. And below is the front (Nutcracker Sweet set)

Thought I'd share how I attach a tag to a ribbon as I'd often have trouble having it 'sit' straight and found that this method works well. I took my twine and folded it in half - put the loop through the hole from back to front - then pulled the open ends through the loop and pulled up to close the loop. Then I tied the ends around the ribbon. I left long ends on my twine but you can also cut them close if you don't want it to show as much.

Next up is a masculine wrapping idea! Keeping it plain and simple, I used some brown packing paper that came in one of my 'ordered way to much craft stuff' packages - I always save the paper and finally had a reason to use it!! First I ironed the paper quickly to smooth out some of the bigger creases in it. Then I wrapped up my package.

I wanted to make a belly band - so I measured around the box. Again I'm using another color of Claire's Celtic Squares Digital Patterned paper. I printed out a sheet and cut 2 panels each 3" wide. (ok so these panels are the same size below even though the bottom one looks bigger! - it's like one of those 'optical' puzzles!?!)

I taped the panels together so it would be long enough to go around my package. Then I stamped my images (with the Celtic Square pattern it's SO easy to line up your stamping!) These stamps are from Nutcracker Sweet.

To be sure the panel would stay on the package - I used ScorTape to adhere it - placing a strip a little in from both top and bottom edges. I lined up approximately the center of the panel to the center front of the package being sure the design was where I wanted it - then pressed it on around each side - overlapping at the back.

Instead of fancy ribbon - I just wrapped some twine around 3 times and knotted it - leaving long tails.
To give a nice finished look to the top I cut a square of the digital paper and stamped my 'tag' right on it! No extra fluff for the guys!

A nice, no fuss, masculine gift wrapping don't you think??

For my final gift wrapping idea I used Claire's Freebie 3 Kings template. Maybe some of your friends do not celebrate Christmas and a New Year's gift is more appropriate? This could be used as a gift card holder or as a treat holder at a party.

I printed Claire's template on white card stock, scored all the dotted lines and cut out the two diamond shapes with my xacto knife.

This time I used Claire's Victorian Digitial Patterned paper - cutting 3 panels 2"x3 1/2". I then made a pattern for the 'crown' panels - tracing one piece of the crown template -then drawing a line 1/8" inside each edge (so it's smaller than the template) - cutting it out on that inside edge then tracing that 3 times on my digital paper.

I stamped the snowflake from Very Vintage Christmas randomly on my cut out panels and adhered them onto the template. Then I folded up the template and adhered the edges using ScorTape to ensure a good hold. The bottom opens up so you can tuck a gift inside!

I tied a luscious piece of black silk ribbon round the 'neck'. I die cut the biggest Nestie snowflake out of white cardstock and sponged the edges. Then I die cut the next size snowflake out of the digital paper and over layed the sentiment. The sentiment stamp, from Asian Garden Additions, is all on one line - so I just inked the 'happy' and stamped it - then inked the 'new year' and stamped it underneath - punched it and sponged the edges

Does my treat box look 'big' from the back?? LOL!!
Tomorrow, Anya will hosting the 2nd Day of the Waltzingmouse Twelve Days of Christmas. On any day you can click on the icon at the top of my right sidebar to find out who's hosting - you won't want to miss one day! I hope you are inspired by my wrapping ideas today!
The Green Box
Stamps: Waltzingmouse - Nutcracker Sweet
Paper: Vintage Cream - PTI, Digital Patterned Paper/Celtic Squares - Waltzingmouse
Ink: Memento Bamboo Leaves
Accessories: Twine - PTI, striped ribbon - Stamp Simply Ribbon Shop, Circle Nestabilities
The Brown Paper Box
Stamps: Waltzingmouse -Nutcracker Sweet
Paper: Brown packing paper, Digital Patterned Paper/Celtic Squares - Waltzingmouse
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: Twine, scortape

Three Kings Box
Stamps: Waltzingmouse - Snowflake - Very Vintage Christmas, Happy New Year - Asian Garden Additions
Paper: White - PTI, Digital Patterned Paper/Victorian - Waltzingmouse
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Ranger Distress Weathered Wood
Accessories: xacto knife, Create a Snow Flake - Spellbinders, small oval punch - SU, Satin Ribbon - Stamp Simply Ribbon Shop, foam dimensionals, Scortape, 3 Kings Template - Waltzingmouse

40 comments:

A Consuming Passion said...

Beautiful gift wrap Julia!!! I'm just now searching for Christmas paper........thanks for the inspirations!

Chris said...

Beautifully wrapped and wonderful ideas, Julia.

Off to find some brown paper...

Chris

Joan B said...

Beautiful -- as always!!

Smilie girl said...

Awesome!
Thanks so much for inspiring!

Trude Julie said...

My oh my how beautiful! Thanks for showing these.

Deborah Frings said...

I think your ideas are great! I already have a huge roll of brown paper in my craft room for wrapping presents this year. I'll be using a mixture of WMS and SU images on the packing!! Thanks for the inspiration.

Dee in N.H. said...

Julia, this is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for the inspiration!

Cassie_lu said...

beautiful ideas and thank you for letting us know what kind of paper you printed on.

Peggy said...

Gorgeous wrapping ideas Julia! Love them!

Bonnie said...

Bravo Julia! Just gorgeous and excellent tutorials!

Pauline said...

Fabulous Julia, some great ideas for wrapping, which reminds me I still have lots to do! xx

Valerie said...

Lovely ideas Julia,I especially like the celtic paper and tag.
I also love your photo of Glendalough, my favourite place :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous projects as your packaging looks so pretty!! Thanks for sharing everything!!HUGS

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

How fabulous these ideas are! Where were you when I was wrapping gifts for everyone????? Now it's mostly checks, and that's not much of a wrapping job!! These gifts look absolutely amazing. TFS, GF!! Hugs!

Libby O said...

I love your work Julia!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

What beautiful presents!! I love making the gift wrapping "special" and you've certainly created some treasures here! Thanks for the ideas!!

anya said...

These are beautiful, Julia! They add an extra special touch to the gifts and really stand out! Fantastic job!

Riet said...

This is so beautiful Julia.

Hugs Riet.x

Lisa Hjulberg said...

Awesome packaging items Julia! And so well explained! Thanks for all the great tips!

Carly said...

Wonderful gift wrapping ideas - such great inspiration!!!

Crystal said...

Oh WOW GREAT tutorials Julia and fabulous projects!!!

Anonymous said...

Great ideas and I love using the WMS paper as wrapping paper. Thanks for sharing :)

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous gift wrap Julia! What a fabulous way to personalize my gifts! Thank you so much for sharing the process and for the inspiration!

Alice said...

beautiful gift wrap idea, Julia! love them!

Lenet said...

Awsome giftwrapping Julia!! Thanks for the insiration.

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous set of gift wrapping ideas!!! Brilliant tutorials and beautifully done! Now, get some rest!!!!! Hugs!

Isabel Z said...

Oh my, these are too pretty to open!

Joanne Gilch said...

My plan this year is to use brown paper and some very Christmasy ribbons, but this is a great idea to add some printed paper!

Amy said...

Love all the gift wrap ideas, especially the 3 kings box from Claire. You have decorated it so beautifully! Thanks for sharing!

Joan Ervin said...

You always come up with the most awesome gift ideas, Julia...I just love your gift packaging ideas...I never would have thought to make a belly band around a gift...thanks for the inspiration!!!

Kelly S. said...

You should become a professional wrapper (not a RAPPER, ha!) in your spare time! These look amazing! That Three Kings Box is so beautiful how you embellished it with the snowflake images and the ribbon. FAB inspiration, Julia!!!!

Betty Wright said...

WOW! These are gorgeous and fabulously done, Julia! I really need to check out that three kings template! Great ensemble!

B said...

Lovely gift wrap Julia! Just lovely!

Carol's Ink Spot said...

All the ideas presented are super! Love your 3 Kings Box and the simple dressing up of the brown paper package. TFS!

Wanda Cullen said...

Delightful and impressive gift wrapping ideas! Thanks for the wonderful inspiration, Julia!

Stampersue said...

Lovely gift wrapping Julia - the ideas are inspirational.

Thanks
Stampersue
X

Poppit said...

Gorgeous wrapping. LOVE the box!

Karin Ã…kesdotter said...

Oh WOW!!
This is soo beautiful! Have to try it!

slbt17 said...

what love you put into your wrapping!
Sandra

LaurieJ said...

Hi Julia, I'm finally getting the chance to hop around to all of the 12 Days posts. I love your packages. The Celtic paper is perfect for Christmas! I especially like the 3 Kings box. Very pretty!