Friday, August 7, 2009

Celebrate the Journey

I was asked by a coworker to make an upbeat 50th b'day card for a friend who is going to be having a big b'day celebration later this month. He said the friend is into planes so I thought this Cosmo Cricket Lil Man designer paper would work well on it. The Ways to Use it Challenge on Split Coast was to add pleated ribbon or paper on your card - so I tried it here even though it's usually a 'no, no' to put ribbon on a guy's card - and it seemed to work - yes?


My design was inspired by this card by beccabatgirl that I found in the Split Coast gallery when I searched on birthday.


I colored the grunge board numbers with an orange Copic and I stamped Happy Birthday repeatedly over the star (can you see it there?).


Here's what I stamped on the inside of the card. A positive upbeat sentiment don't you think?!

I hope the birthday boy likes it!

We're headed back to the cottage in NH for the weekend - a big 'cousin's' party on the lake - so you probably won't see me again until Sunday or Monday - have a great weekend everyone!

And remember to check out Waltzingmouse Stamps - Claire is posting 4 terrific new sets for sale on Sunday!

Stamps: Birthday basics: PTI , Inside: Going Places: My Favorite Thing, Karen Foster Snap Stamps.
Paper: White, ripe avocado, Bity Star Basics: PTI, Tangerine Tango: SU, DP Cosmo Cricket: Lil Man
Ink: Ripe avocado: PTI, Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: saddle stitched ribbon: PTI, Tim Holtz Grunge Board Numbers, copic, spellbinders tag trio, circle punch: Fiskars, Janome sewing machine, nestability classic stars, foam dimensionals, distresser: Heidi Swapp, glue dots, dew drops, Tag Trio Nestabilities.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

It's fantastic Julia - it has that manly adventure feel!! Fab!

Crystal said...

WOW Julia this is such an awesome masculine card!! Great colors and love your ribbon treatment!!! Such a cool design!

Pat (mspfd) said...

Great card for the big "50"!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Julia,
What a wonderful card!!! I love the airplane paper - the ribbon is great - not girly - looks more like the ribbons that they put medals of honor on. The inside is way KEWL! Another WINNER!

Hope you enjoy your weekend - I'll be waiting here for your return. ;-)

Anne Harada said...

Fantastic design, the ribbon totally works on this card!! I just love the flying-planes DP, how very masculine and perfect for this card. Love the inside too! Well done my friend!!

Susan said...

you know, I stopped by last night and left my comment...don't know who swiped it!!!

love this card, Julia...that Little Man paper is just perfect and I like how you used the star

The Paper Tree said...

Okay Julia, did you do this before or after the Copic class last night? Goodness, you sure are amazing. I love what you did on the inside almost as much as the front! And the ribbon is to die for!!!

SmilynStef said...

What a fabulous concept and design for a milestone birthday ... love it.

LeAnne said...

Wonderful! That paper is so cool/vintage/retro/awesome!!!

Unknown said...

Spot on as usual I love it!

Anonymous said...

So fun, Julia!! Love the pleated ribbon treatment! Have a great weekend at the cottage!
smiles,Deena

Donna Marie said...

Wow!
I love it.
The ribbon is perfect!

~amy~ said...

gorgeous Julia! Love all the fabbie details!

Joan Ervin said...

What a wonderful, masculine birthday card, Julia!!! I love the paper, how you added the dew drops arounf the circle layer, and the fabulous pleated ribbon!!!!

Shirley said...

What a great male card, Julia! Ilove the colors and how you did the ribbon on the front. Very male and very attractive too!

dpkennedy said...

Very nice masculine card! I love the inside and that ribbon is perfect!