Friday, July 28, 2023

Group of Seven Cardmakers - July 2023 Coloring Dry Embossed Images

Bonnie chose the technique for us at the Group of Seven Cardmakers this month and that is Coloring Dry Embossed Images.  

The three techniques listed over at the blog are: sponging, water coloring and inkpad swipe.   There are also instructions and links to videos. 

I used ink pad swipe on one card and water coloring on two cards.

I  used the same 3D embossing folder on all my cards,  Rose Bouquet from Altenew,  so I could focus on the technique used and not different embossing folders.  It will be fun to try others though and see how they look!  

Tip: It is best to use 3D embossing folders as they give a deeper impression.

Tip: If you do the water coloring technique and the paint goes over the raised edge of the embossing, you can remove the paint with a clean damp paint brush if you do it right away.

For my first card, I embossed on Hammered White Cardstock and simply rubbed an Altenew Misty Morning mini ink pad over the raised embossing.  I stamped the sentiment and popped it up on foam dots.

For my 2nd card I embossed on watercolor paper.  Then I water colored the raised parts in blue and green, drying with my heat tool between colors.  Then I water colored the background with yellow.  When that was dry, I splattered over the panel with a White POSCA pen, then added the printed sentiment up on foam dots.
For my third sample - I embossed on black Mixed Media paper and then water colored with Niji Pearlescent Water Color paints.  These paints really show up and pop off the black background!
It's hard to appreciate the depth of the 3D embossing in the photos above -  so I took the photos below, with the cards laid down, to better show the wonderful dimension!  Makes you want to run your finger over it doesn't it?!


We hope you will try some of these coloring of  3D embossed panel techniques - you'll find lots more inspiration from the rest of the 7 over at The Group of Seven Cardmakers blog.
  
Mr. Linky is set up if you'd like to link up anything you create!  We'd love to see it!


I'm linking my Sympathy card to:
anything goes

Linking my Anniversary card to:
Anything goes




Anniversary
Stamps:  sentiment from Damask Designs - PTI (retired)
Paper:  White hammered card - Amazon
Ink:  Misty Morning - Altenew, Ocean Tides - PTI
Accessories:  3D Embossing Folder Rose Bouquet - Altenew, foam dots.

Birthday
Paper:  water color paper - Canson Cold Press
Accessories: 3D Embossing Folder Rose Bouquet - Altenew, water color paints - Winsor and Newton, paint brush, water, white POSCA Pen, printed sentiment strip, foam dots.

Sympathy
Stamps: Simple Strips: Sympathy - Taylored Expressions.
Paper:  Black Strathmore Mixed Media Paper, white - PTI
Ink:  Brown - Altenew
Accessories:   3D Embossing Folder Rose Bouquet - Altenew, Niji Pearlescent Water Color paints, Simple Strips Die -  Taylored Expressions, foam dots.

12 comments:

HilaryJane said...

Three beautiful cards Julia. It looks like you have well and truly mastered that technique. I think I like the first card best and the textured card adds that little bit of something extra. thanks for the tip re cleaning off colour where it is not wanted. That's what happens to me xx

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Three amazing examples of this technique, Julia! Even the simple ink swiping adds so much - that anniversary card is stunning! I love the delicate watercoloring on card two and the pearlescent colors on card three too!! Thanks for the inspiration - will have to check out the rest on GoSC!!

Christine Alexander said...

three beautiful examples. The hammered card is stunning, I will definitely be trying that one, I would have thought the EF would take out the texture♥

Loll said...

Three beautiful cards Julia! I LOVE the first one with the ink swipe of soft colour over the white embossed image. It's very ethereal, calming ... so many wonderful occasions you could use this for. The watercolouring is beautiful. Amazing how changing up the colours makes such a contrast. Thanks Julia! xx

Darnell said...

Your artistic creations this month are sensational, sis! I really like that you took the extra photos so the 3D effect with your excellent coloring really shows up! Hugs, Darnell

Brenda in IN said...

I love that Misty Morning ink over white. It made a terrific card and you got great, clean results by swiping. The watercolor blue and green is pretty and thanks for the tip about getting the paint off quickly. That's what I couldn't figure out, how to keep the color on the raised parts. I must try the pearlescent on black, it is stunning.

Bonnie said...

I love that you tried all three techniques with the same embossing folder, Julia! It shows the differing results beautifully! You did an awesome job of ink swiping! I love how it shows the wonderful texture! The watercoloring is so pretty and the wash in the background gives a great finish! The pearlescent watercolor on the black is awesome! I love all the shimmer and the contrast!

Susan said...

Beautiful cards, Julia! My favourite is the first one - love that soft grey over the white. It is so classy. The hammered cs adds wonderful texture to it.

Melanie Hungerford said...

What gorgeous cards, and wonderful samples of the technique you are sharing. I am so happy you joined us at Can You Handle the Pressure!

Trina P. said...

WHOA! All are amazing! My favourite is your first card… so classy and elegant!

Lisa Elton said...

Each one is as pretty as the next and so elegant!

Papercraft Boutique said...

All three cards are stunning, Julia! Each card showcases its unique beauty. The first card with inkpad swipe creates a dreamy and serene feeling. It's very simple and elegant, and I love it!
I never thought of painting the background (the second card). I'm sure it took time and effort, but it was definitely worth it. So beautiful!
The shimmer and contrast of the third card are amazing! Thanks for adding the photos of the side shots! They show the wonderful deep impression so well!
Hideko xx