Sunday, February 3, 2019

Red and Pink Watercolor Tree

I recently purchased a lovely 3 piece stamp set from Rubbernecker Stamps called Gentle Breeze.  
I hadn't really looked at the stamp when it arrived - just put it in my floral stamp drawer to use later.  On Saturday I participated in the Inspiration Challenge over at Splitcoaststampers where we were to be inspired by the All Posters Website (wow, what a lot of inspiration there!).  
I came upon this poster 
and it made me think of my Rubbernecker stamp. So I got it out and created this card.
The stamp set has 3 stamps in it - the landscape piece, the tree piece and the grasses piece - so it's easy to get different colors on the different pieces.  
I decided to do a watercolor technique where I put one of the stamps in my Tim Holtz Tonic Stamp Platform (these stamps are red rubber but not on wood and you can use red rubber stamps in this platform.) I colored the stamp using Ranger Distress Markers in the colors I wanted, spritzed the stamp with water and then pressed the stamp on a panel of watercolor paper.  I repeated this with the tree stamp and the grasses stamp.  The Distress Markers I used are Walnut Stain, Brushed Corduroy, Spiced Marmalade, Gathered Twigs and Peeled Paint. I die cut the panel with Pierced Feature Frames: Rectangle from PTI.  

I really loved how this came out and was eager to watercolor it again!  

So I happened to check out the February CAS Watercolour Card Challenge and saw that it was to use Reds and Pinks.  I thought I'd try these unusual colors with this stamp set and created a Valentine by adding 3 stamped hearts and a Valentines sentiment after I did the water coloring.   The Distress Markers I used on this card are Fired Brick, Worn Lipstick, Festive Berries, Spun Sugar and Aged Mahogany.
 I'm linking this Valentine card to:




First Tree Card
Stamps: Gentle Breeze #1027 - Rubbernecker Stamps
Paper:  watercolor paper - Canson, White - PTI
Accessories:  Tim Holtz Stamp Positioning platform, Ranger Distress Markers Walnut Stain, Brushed Corduroy, Spiced Marmalade, Gathered Twigs, Peeled Paint, water mister, Pierced Feature Frames: Rectangle - PTI

Valentine Tree Card
Stamps: Gentle Breeze #1027 - Rubbernecker Stamps, Perfect Match (hearts and sentiment) - PTI 
Paper: watercolor paper - Canson, White - PTI
Ink:  True Black, Pure Poppy - PTI
Accessories: Tim Holtz Stamp Positioning Platform, Ranger Distress Markers Fired Brick, Worn Lipstick, Festive Berries, Spun Sugar and Aged Mahogany, water mister, Pierced Feature Frames: Rectangle - PTI

9 comments:

My Paper Epiphany said...

Beautiful cards Julia! I love the hearts added to the Valentine card:)

Bonnie said...

Love the artsy look of this stamp, Julia! What a find! I love the way you've colored it both ways and would not have thought of it as a Valentine, but I love it! Wonderfully creative!

Christine Alexander said...

I've admired that stamp for a long time, I love the effect you got with the watercolours :)

Loll said...

Gorgeous set of stamps that create such an artsy design, Julia. So pretty and tranquil with the tree and grasses. So cool how the red and pink colours look with this image too. I bet you could use all different colours and each one would have a unique look. xx

Karen Dunbrook said...

what a great stamp, so artsy and wonderful and I love how you inked it up to show the beauty it has. well done mf.
xx Karen

Marcia Hill said...

Two fabulous cards Julia! What a cool stamp set with the 3 layers, and I love the 1st card with more natural colors, but really love the pinks and red one too! Never would have thought of turning a landscape into a Valentine's card, but have to say that I really, really like it! Lovely, lovely cards my friend!! :0)

Susan said...

Both versions of your tree are fantastic! What a great idea to use it for the pink and red CWCC challenge. And I love the way you were inspired by that poster!

Mac Mable said...

What a marvellous stamp...all three parts of it. What a great way to add the different colours to this stamp. I am sure every time you use this stamp would be completely different. Great earthy colours on the first card and the pinks and reds look great on the second...Not an easy colourway to pull off and you certainly have x.

Kim Heggins said...

Simply stunning...just love both of your beautiful creations!