Monday, February 4, 2019

Feb CAS Stencil Card Challenge - Powdered Inks

Hi all - it's Feb 4th and the new CAS Stencil Challenge has been posted over at the blog!  Nancy is our hostess this month and her challenge is to use Powdered Inks with your stencil!
(think Brushos, Bisters, Color Bursts, Infusions, Magicals, etc.)
Since it's February - I wanted to make a Valentine as we have a card/craft sale at our church for Valentine's Day.  I grabbed an older MFT Graduated Hearts Stencil,  Brilliant Red Brushos, Love Notes Die from Reverse Confetti, Perfect Match Stamps and dies and Mix and Mat Hearts die from PTI.
I have a couple of process photos to share -  there are also several links to videos using powdered inks over at CAS Stencil for your inspiration.
Sorry for the yellowed photos - the light in my craft room isn't great for photos!
First I laid my stencil over a panel of watercolor paper.
Then I lightly sprinkled some Brilliant Red Brushos over the area, trying to get some inside the hearts (the color will spread anyway)
Then I spritzed water over the stencil.
I removed the stencil quickly and revealed this lovely stenciling!
There was so much watery Brushos mix on my stencil that I flipped it over onto another panel of watercolor paper , laid a piece of computer paper over it and rubbed over the stencil, leaving this negative watery print of the stencil.
(you can see there is still more watery ink on the stencil if I wanted to make another lighter negative print!)
Here are the two cards I made using the negative print of the stencil.  For these cards I die cut the background panel using Mix and Mat Confetti die from PTI.
And here's my first card again.
So please join us over at CAS Stencil, and link up your card using stencils and powdered inks!  You'll find video links as well as some creative inspiration from the Design Team here.  You have until Feb 24 to link up!

I'm linking my card to:
Paper Players

Just Us Girls


Stamps:  Perfect Match - PTI
Paper:  watercolor paper - Canson, White - PTI
Ink:  True Black, Classic Kraft, Orange Zest, Pure Poppy, Harvest Gold - PTI
Accessories:  Brilliant Red Brushos, Graduated Heart Stencil - My Favorite Things (retired), Love Notes Die - Reverse Confetti, Perfect Match Dies, Mix and Mat Hearts Die, Mix and Mat Confetti Die - PTI, foam dots.

18 comments:

nancy littrell said...

Beautiful positive hearts image with your die cut background layer, Julia. Love how you got 2 additional cards out of your negative image too. TFS my friend. Hugs..Nancy

Christine Alexander said...

so pretty Julia, love all the white space round those sweet little hearts :)

Linda said...

What cute little Valentine's cards ... love them xx

Trina P. said...

Such cute Valentine’s cards, Julia. You did a super job with the technique and retained the heart images perfectly. x

LeAnne said...

THese are FABULOUS! What a great little stencilled design you created, and I love that you flipped over the stencil and did some more! Great take on all the challenges, too...we love seeing you at the Players!

Loll said...

Your heart stenciling turned out amazing Julia! LOVE that you got to use the pieces to complete three cards. Grat design and such a sweet sentiment that is perfect with it's double meaning! Very creative and fun! xx

Cathy said...

Such fun cards Julia, love the "punny"sentiments, Cathy x

Bonnie said...

These stenciled hearts are wonderful, Julia! You have just the right timing to get a crisp image with the watery goodness between! I predict these Valentines will sell fast!

Barb Ghig said...

Beautiful Valentine cards, Julia! Thank you so much for sharing your step-by-step process...your hearts are so pretty and I love your sentiment!

Mac Mable said...

The one little pot of red Brusho's has produced a wonderful array of reds. Fabulous technique and such an artsy and unique effect. All three cards are fabulous Julia, with fun sentiments and love how you combined the stamps, die cuts and stencil.....Stunning x

Wanda Cullen said...

Julia, your stencilled backgrounds are all so beautiful and I love the fun matchstick image and sentiment!

Nancy said...

This card came together well and especially like that you chowed us how it evolved! So happy you joined us at Just Us Girls this week! I also saw you met Tim Holtz...Lucky!

Susan said...

Fabulous use of powdered ink and a stencil! I love both the positive and negative versions!

Sue said...

This is such a sweet card. Great design and I like how you put a match on it!

Marcia Hill said...

Two FABULOUS cards Julia and thanks so much for all the photos...I love seeing a visual!! :0)

Papercraft Boutique said...

These are super cute Valentine's cards, Julia!
The Brusho stenciled panel is so pretty and the monoprnits are artsy!
I love that the white in the background makes the heart colors really pop. The puuny sentiments add fun and cuteness!
Thanks for sharing the photos! I always enjoy your photo tutorials.
Hideko xx

Anne Marie Hile said...

What a fun technique and I just love the depth of color from the Brusho. You have inspired me to give this technique a try! I really like how everything just pops off the clean background, too. Just gorgeous! Thanks so much for joining us this week over at The Paper Players!

Robyn Oliver said...

You've certainly had lots of fun with Brusho for your backgrounds, three fabulous cards Julia