Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Eileen Hull New Sizzix Box Stacking Drawers

Today I'm sharing a project I made using Eileen's new Box Stacking Drawers Sizzix Die, just released this month at Creativation in Phoenix, AZ.
I added a matboard backing to hold the 3 drawers together - making it like little bureau! 
The perfect size to hold smaller craft ephemera or jewelry!

Each box measures 3" x 2 1/8" x1 1/2"
The 3 boxes also fit quite nicely inside Eileen's new Treasure Box die!
First I die cut all the pieces from matboard.  
(Whoops?!! I forgot to photograph the die cut surround pieces that the drawers slide into - so you are just looking at the drawer inserts here.)
I cut pieces from Valentine patterned paper to cover the front panel.  I found that I could punch out the curve with a 3/4" circle punch - it matched perfectly!  I adhered the paper to the matboard with Tombow Glue.
I folded each drawer panel and assembled them.  Normally on a box die you would probably attach the bottom panel on the outside of the drawer,  but in order for the drawer to slide into the surround, Eileen instructed us to adhere it on the inside of the drawer if you are using the thicker matboard.
Here you see the bottom of the drawer - with the panel adhered inside the drawer so the tabs are showing.  (I had adhered it the wrong way (duh!) - so you see some glue residue here! whoops!!)
Here is the matboard bottom  adhered to the inside bottom of the drawer.
Since I had glue residue on the outside of the bottom (as confessed above!)  I adhered a thin panel of cardstock to the bottom to make it clean and neat.
SO, finally we have the 3 drawers and the 3 surrounds assembled!
I cut a 6" x 3 1/8" panel of matboard to create a backing for the stacked drawers.  I die cut the scallop along the top with Eileen's Movers and Shapers Scallop Border Die.
These stacked drawers also fit perfectly inside of Eileen's other new die - the Treasure Box but I used the stacked drawers separately in my design today.
To adhere the surrounds to the backing - I ran glue along the back edges of the drawer surrounds and pressed them against the back panel.  I also put glue on the top and bottom edges that touched each other and added clothespins to hold them tight while drying.
 (when I glued the surround edges to the back panel - I left the drawers inside the surrounds but pulled out a bit to be sure the surrounds where glued on squarely so the drawers would fit back in when dry, I pulled the drawers out after gluing the surrounds so I could add the clothespins to hold them - see photo above where drawer was left in but slightly pulled out so it didn't get any glue on it)
I dropped a few of the extra hearts into each drawer since I had a lot after cutting them with the Journaling Cards - Hearts die.
I wrapped a pretty hearts washi tape around each surround before attaching them to the back panel.  I added Eileen's Floral Arch to the top as well as a heart from Journaling Cards - Hearts.  I added an Idea-ology Custom Knob to the middle drawer and die cut 'Friend' from Floral Arch and Words and "love" from Journaling Words to the top and bottom drawers.
View from the back.
Close up of floral arch and top drawer
Close up of the 3 drawer fronts.


I hope you have enjoyed seeing my little project using Eileen's new Box Stacking Drawers die. 
I know I had a lot of fun creating with it!

Please stop by Eileen's blog to see more wonderful projects by the Inspiration Team using her  lovely new dies!

Paper:  Mat Board, Valentines Day Paperpad - Michaels, white and Pale Peony cardstock - Papertrey Ink.
Accessories:  Box Stacking Drawers, Movers and Shapers Scallop Border, Floral Arch and Words, Journaling Cards- Hearts - Eileen Hull/Sizzix, heart washi tape, Tombow Glue, Custom Knob - Idea-ology.

7 comments:

Bonnie said...

You always have the best 3D projects, Julia! This is no exception! This will be great for hiding little treasures!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous 3D project, fresh and funky ❤️❤️

Mac Mable said...

Such a special project and wow to those dies. Loving the combination of the papers, the washi tape, the floral arch and the custom knob x Wonderful inspiration, thank you x.

Christine Alexander said...

Julia what a fun 3D project so cute and perfect for little trinkets :)

Loll said...

Your three stacking drawers are so sweet Julia. What a great thing to have in your studio for little bits and bobs. Love the design and the pretty V-Day papers you've used. Great work as always! xx

Vicki Dutcher said...

Now this is a fabulous project! What a fun die.

SewPaperPaint said...

I've oogled over this on social media and just had to say how beautiful it is to me. Hugs, Autumn