Monday, February 25, 2019

A Floral Storage Box for the Craft Room

This month Eileen Hull's Inspiration Team is making hearts and flowers projects using her Sizzix Dies.   
Today I'm sharing an open storage box that will use for craft storage in my craft room.  
I love to have artistic storage on my shelves!  
It makes me happy just looking at it!
I used Eileen's new Treasure Box die but didn't use the hinges or the top of the box that is included with the die.
I have some photos to share showing how I put this all together!

First I cut the pieces I needed out of Little Sizzles Mat Board.  Then I measured the panels and cut pieces of  Tim Holtz Worn Wallpaper to adhere to the sides.
I glued the tabs on the sides with Tombow Glue and let it dry a few minutes being held with clothespins.  Then I adhered the bottom piece to the tabs.
I wanted to age the look of the paper and so rubbed all the edges with Versamark Ink and poured on Vintage Beeswax Baked Texture - shaking off the excess and heating with my heat tool.  I did one side at a time.


Then I rubbed Brown Rust Effect Paste from Prima on all the outside edges with my finger and let it dry overnight.
I added Idea-ology Clawfoot Corners with long brads to the bottom corners piercing the holes with a piercing tool.
I sprayed the inside of the box with both Peeled Paint and Fossilized Amber Distress Oxide Sprays just so it wasn't stark white in there as I knew most of it would be covered with whatever I stored in there!
I also sprayed Fossilized Amber Distress Oxide Spray on all the outside panels
(rather tentatively as I was afraid I'd cover all the flowers!
Sometimes one more thing is too much, right??! )
I also sprayed the Quote Chips then adhered them to the sides with Tombow Glue.
I rubbed Prima Alchemy Bronze Age Metallic Wax over all the feet just to add another tone to the metal and I also rubbed just a little of the wax over the Quote Chip corners and some of the wallpaper.

I was able to fit 10 small bottles of Acrylic Paint inside the box which measures 5" x 3" x 3"  on the inside but I was also thinking it might be a good place to hold word dies?


Please check out Eileen's Blog where all of the Inspiration Team's projects have been posted this month!

Paper:  Little Sizzles Matboard - Sizzix, Worn Wallpaper - Idea-ology/Tim Holtz.
Ink:  Versamark
Accessories:  Treasure Box Die - Eileen Hull/Sizzix, Vintage Beeswax Baked Texture - Emerald Creek, Rust Effect Paste Brown Rust - Prima/Finnabair, Ranger Distress Oxide Spray Peeled Paint and Fossilized Amber, Quote Chips, Foundations Clawfoot Corners, Long Fasteners - Idea-ology, Alchemy Metallic Wax Bronze Age - Prima, Piercing Tool - Sizzix.

8 comments:

eileen hull said...

Absolutely gorgeous Julia- you perfected the aging process <3

Bonnie said...

What a lovely way to store your inks, Julia! Love the aged look of this and the feet finish it off beautifully. Who would suspect at first glance that this was made of paper!

Susan said...

I love your storage box! Especially the way you aged the dp and made it look so vintage. The quote chips on it are perfect and eye-catching!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

EEEK! This is fantastic!! I love how it looks like a real, old, box that you found somewhere - I can just imagine the antique store and the price tag (uh oh!) How fun to have this in the studio! Excellent work!

Pammejo said...

Genius. Love this idea and it is simply gorgeous!

Karen said...

Love this box!! What a great use for it too.

Mac Mable said...

I can see why you enjoy having artistic creations on your shelves and this sure would make me happy too x. It is so unique, beautiful and would look marvellous storing anything!! x Love it x.

Loll said...

WOW! This is amazing Julia! LOVE IT! Thanks for the step-by-step tutorial. I enjoy seeing how you use all these amazing products to create this special one-of-a-kind treasure box. Great work, as always, my friend! xx