Thursday, April 4, 2019

April CAS Stencil Card Challenge - Pastes and Gels

Wow - how did April get here so fast -  although isn't it great to be coming into spring and saying goodbye to winter?!  

It's also time for the April CAS Stencil Card Challenge!  Barb is our creative host this month and she would like us to use pastes or gels with our stencils! 
I was excited to get out my recently purchased Nuvo Expanding Mousse paste and try it out for this challenge.  When you dry it with your heat tool, it puffs up!  If you leave it to dry naturally - it's still thick but flat. 
I decided to make Easter cards since I will be needing them to send out in a couple of weeks!
I used my old Nestability Egg die to cut a Pale Peony egg.  I laid it under the Abstract Petals Stencil (older from MFT) and spread the Worn Linen Expanding Mousse over the stencil with a plastic spatula.  Here's how it looked when I lifted off the stencil.  (wash your stencil and spatula immediately!)
I dried the mousse with my heat tool and it puffed right up, see below (if left to dry naturally, it dries flat, pretty much like it looks above.)   I sponged the edges of my eggs (I cut another one out of Blueberry Sky) with the matching inks to give them a little depth.
I added 2 thick (3/16th") foam dots just to the center of the back of the eggs and I curved the edges of the egg down a bit.
I adhered the die cut frame (Papertrey Ink) flat on the card base, then added the egg (with just the foam dots as shown above)  I stamped and die cut the sentiment banner (Waltzingmouse retired) and layered it over the egg with regular thin foam dots.
And here's the blue one!

So please join us in April - and show us how you use paste or gels with your stencils.  Link up your CAS designs at CAS Stencil - where you will find links to technique videos and wonderful inspiration from the creative Design Team!   
You have until April 24th.
We also have a wonderful Guest Designer joining us this month:  Bobby (Bits & Pieces)

I'm also linking my cards to:
Country View Challenges
Easter/Spring

Stamps:  Good Egg - Waltzingmouse (retired)
Paper:  White, Blueberry Sky, Pale Peony - PTI
Ink:  Pale Peony, Blueberry Sky - PTI
Accessories:  Nested Eggs - Nestabilities, Good Egg Dies - Waltzingmouse (retired), Pierced Feature Frames: Rectangles - PTI, thick foam dots, foam dots, plastic spatula, heat tool, Nuvo Expanding Mousse Worn Linen, Abstract Petals Stencil - My Favorite Things (retired).

19 comments:

Mac Mable said...

Your two Easter cards looks amazing. The colours are fabulous, love the stencil you've used and the dimension looks great. The Nuvo expanding mousse is new to me so thank you so much for the wonderful inspiration. Such beautiful cards....both of them x

Barb Ghig said...

I love the puffy texture of Expanding Mousse with your Easter Eggs, Julia! The flower petals are so pretty and are perfect for an Easter card! I also love how you sponged around the border of the eggs...it adds so much dimension to your design! Beautiful cards!

Robyn Oliver said...

I think your Easter egg cards are stunning Julia, look really elegant - I've not heard of this mousse but it works beautifully and then your sponged edges and added curve and thick pop dots, and frame - lots of dimension, lovely cards

JoAnn said...

Love the dimension of your pretty eggs and your great use of the stencil. Very pretty cards.

Cathy said...

What great Easter cards, the eggs look fantastic with the puffed stencil design and the curved edges, Cathy x

Loll said...

Beautiful design Julia. This would look good in any colour. The expanding mousse is interesting. It really does puff and give extra texture. It's great to have the option depending on the look you want. I love the simple white framing of your eggs so that they are the stars of the cards. xx

Christine Alexander said...

Love the ink blending on your Easter eggs Julia, it adds so much shape :)

nancy littrell said...

Beautiful stenciling on colored CS with your Nuvo Expanding Mouse in Worn Linen. I think there is going to be a run on that cool product, my friend:-) Love your simple framing, sponging, shaping and sentiment that really makes your eggs pop. TFS my friend. Hugs..Nancy

Sue said...

Lovely dimension and stencilling on your pretty Easter cards, Linda.

Bonnie said...

Beautiful eggs, Julia! Love all the dimension and colors! They made gorgeous Easter cards!

BożenA said...

Great two cards. I love these eggs, adding shading on the edge made the eggs optically an extra dimension. Great designs, great inspiration.
Hugs,
BożenA

Susan said...

Love those pretty Easter eggs in the lovely blue and pink. I haven't heard of that expanding mousse - will have to investigate as I really like the texture you got.

Trina P. said...

I’ve never heard of this puffy paste, but it’s so cool. Gives amazing texture for your lovely eggs.
I’m having trouble with Google/Blogger and commenting, so I’m hoping this will work. xx

Papercraft Boutique said...

Beautiful Easter egg cards, Julia! I love the pretty puffed stenciled pattern and your beautiful sponging. Together with the foam dots, the eggs look so dimensional. The sentiment strip in a matching color is a wonderful touch! Thanks so much for the photo tutorial and the tips!
Hideko xx

Linda said...

These look fab ..... love the look of the expanding mousse and your stencil design looks so pretty on the eggs xx

Brenda in IN said...

These eggs are beautiful with so much texture. I love how you framed them and they make wonderful Easter decorations.

Miriam said...

Lovely cards - thank you for joining in with the Country View Crafts challenge.

Teresa said...

Thankyou for joining in the Spring/Easter challenge at Country View Challenges - good luck and hope to see you again. Teresa DT xx

Monika Gulyas said...

Congratulations on winning one of the Top 3 badges at the Country View Challenges!!! Thank you for playing with us!!!