Saturday, March 2, 2024

Feb 2024 Card Chain Challenge Reveal

 It's time for the Feb 2024 Card Chain Challenge Reveal!   For February, I sent a card to Viv in the UK and I received a card from Hilary in the UK!

This is a fun world wide card exchange challenge, where each month you can sign up to send a card and receive a card.   We are given options to use on our card design each month -  we only have to use one of the options but can use as many as we want.

This month, I used several:  the colors, the sketch, theme options of Balloons and Friendship and Product option of Twine!  



And here is my card:

The parakeet is a multi stamp/and die from Papertrey Ink both called Feathered Friends Mini 5.  They are older sets but still available (and on sale!).  The paper is from Petite Places Patterned Paper Pad (no longer available).

I die cut the Woodland Branch from Memory Box out of brown card and adhered it across the landscape.

I popped up the bird over the branch on foam dots.

I die cut the balloon, sponged it with ink, tied the twine around it and popped it up in the sky with foam dots.  I looped the twine under the birds feet so the balloon won't fly away!

I stamped the sentiment from the bird set in the corner and added 3 enamel dots in the colors along the roll of the hillside.

I sponged around the edge of the panel with Gold Pigment ink to add definition.

As I have been doing with many of my Card Chain Challenge cards lately, I adhered the panel to a mini easel so it stands up rather than having it on a folded card.


A couple of side notes:  

We feed the wild birds in our backyard year round - and one day, several years ago,  I looked out and saw the bright colors of a  parakeet, like this one, on one of our feeders. I knew it must have escaped from someone's home and his wings were probably clipped so he wouldn't be able to fly very well - but I was unable to catch him.  I felt badly for the family that would be missing him. 

I originally bought the stamps and die because my niece and her family bought a parakeet (because their daughter is allergic to dogs).  I made them a welcome Rocky card and haven't used the bird again until I made this card!  And since I had all the colors and stamps out to make the bird- I made 4 cards this time for my stash!

So please check out all the cards exchanged in February - and sign up to participate in March!  You'll find all the details over at the Card Chain Challenge!.


Also linking my card to:

Double D Challenges - Patterned Paper

ends 3/3


Die Cut Divas: Anything Goes Ends 3/31

Krafty Chicks - Anything Goes  ends 3/6




Stamps:  Feathered Friends Mini 5 - Papertrey Ink.
Paper:  white, Dark Chocolate, DP Petite Places Patterned Paper - Papertrey Ink.
Ink:  Nocturne - Versafine Clair, Teal Cove, Lime, Fresh Lemon, Cloudy Sky, Marigold, Chamomile - Altenew, Gold Pigment Ink - Color Box.
Accessories:  Feather Friends Mini 5 die, Birthday Balloon Die - Papertrey Ink, Woodland Branch die - Memory Box, Small Easel Bigz Die - Tim Holtz/Sizzix, yellow twine, foam dots, Enamel Dots - Altenew.

16 comments:

Pia S said...

What a bright and beautiful card! I love the parakeet and its colors, so glad you were able to use it again, and it deserves many more inkings. Fun idea adding the balloon too.

papierelle said...

This is a particularly adorable card idea and design.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Such a sweet parakeet image and I love the colors you used, Julia - beautiful take on the sketch!!

Bonnie said...

This beautiful parakeet brings back memories of some my Grandma had. They had free reign in the house and it's a wonder they didn't escape. I LOVE how you've colored this guy and how is he holding down the string of the balloon so it doesn't float away. I'm sure Viv is thrilled with this card!

Angelnorth said...

Certainly made me smile Julia! Love the parakeet with her balloon, she could get a boost when her wings get tired!

Lisa Elton said...

What a cute little parakeet! I like the setting you've designed for him to perch in. Hope that real little fella found his way home!

Gail said...

Great colors!
I love the bird and balloon!
Pretty scene!

HilaryJane said...

This is such a fun card. I love it, especially the balloon with the string. We have bright green and yellow Parakeets now living and thriving wild in London. They can often be seen in parks and other open spaces. They were originally kept as pets xx

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful colourful card and love the cute parakeet.
Carol x

Imke said...

Julia, this is such a cute card and you did a great job with the colors !

Imke ~ MY CRAFTY PLACE

Dotty Jo said...

Hi Julia, your card is gorgeous and I love how you've incorporated a budgie. I work at an animal rescue and we've just had a lost budgie brought in. He/she has just gone into foster, but I feel that this may be a permanent home for the little sweetie. I've just read your comment on Gail's Viking card and it made me hoot! I shall have to make a Viking card with the sentiment 'Have a Norse Day.' Just brilliant! Thanks for playing at CCC again, and thanks for giving me a chuckle, Jo x

Michelle N. said...

I love that parakeet-great colors you used! Thanks for joining us at Die Cut Divas!

Arlene said...

As soon as I saw this card, my face lit up with a smile. It did its job very well. Smiles all the way!

Christine Alexander said...

Beautiful parakeet, I love the colours xx

Birgit said...

What a darling card! Your brightly colored parakeet is precious. I used to have parakeets when I was younger and loved them so much. Your card brought back fond memories for me. Thanks for linking up to Double D Challenge. Best of luck to you!

Arlene said...

I'm so glad you entered your Card Chain Challenge card to the Die Cut Divas challenge. It's bright, cheerful, fun and cute.