Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Nov 2023 Group of Seven Cardmakers Technique - Smooshing with Cling Wrap

 The November Group Of Seven Cardmakers post is up today.  This month we are Smooshing with Cling Wrap.    There are full instructions and links to videos over at the blog.

Here are 3 of the cards I've created so far!   

I made many panels using the technique using different colors as you'll see below.  Now I have lots of backgrounds to create with!


Inks Used on All Is Calm
Ranger Distress Uncharted Mariner, Peeled Paint, Gathered Twigs

Ink Used on Baby It's Cold Outside
Gray Brushos
I put the white die cut panel up on foam strips over the gray panel to give depth

Inks Used on Peace on Earth
Ranger Distress Festive Berries and Pine Needles


I'm linking this card to:
I have trees, sky and snow - but my sky is red!



Here are the steps I used to create all of the panels.  
These particular colors were used on the background on the Peace on Earth card above.

1. I rubbed Ranger distress inks Festive Berries and Pine Needles onto my craft mat and spritzed with water
2.  Then I rubbed a panel of Bristol Smooth Mixed Media Paper over the inks - smooshing and pressing the panel, checking to see I got full coverage and stopping before it mixed too much
3.. I place a 'larger than the card panel'  piece of Cling Wrap over the panel .
4.  Then I wrinkled up the cling wrap over the panel with my fingers.
5.   If the panel warped a bit, I put a cutting pad over the cling wrap covered card and let it sit for about an hour. Then I removed the cutting pad and the cling wrap and let the panel dry over night before creating with it.

Here are all the panels I made using Distress Inks.
This shows how, even when you use the same inks, you get different results.

Left column - Festive Berries and Rusty Hinge
Center column - Uncharted Mariner, Peeled Paint, Gathered Twigs
Right column - Festive Berries, Pine Needles.
 
I wanted to try Brushos to see what happened with them using this technique.  
Below, I used Sand Stone and Turquoise on left, Sand Stone and Gray in center, and Gray alone on the right. 
I found the Brushos didn't melt with the spritzed water as well as Distress Inks and the colors I used didn't end up as bright. 

I made the Baby It's Cold Outside card with the panel created with Gray Brushos.


We hope you will check out all of the inspiration from the Group of Seven using this technique - and that you will try it out yourself and link up your creations so we can see them!   

Check it all out at the Group of Seven Cardmakers blog!


All is Calm
Stamps:  Cabin with Fence - Stampscapes, All Is Calm from Great Outdoors - Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous.
Paper - Bristol Smooth Mixed Media, Brushed Gold - SU, Metallic Gold - Parklane (JoAnn)
Ink:  Ranger Distress Peeled Paint, Uncharted Mariner, Gathered Twigs,  Nocturne - Versafine Clair.
Accessories:  Craft Mat, Water Mister, Cling Wrap, Snowy Stars Thinlit Die - Tim Holtz/Sizzix

Baby It's Cold Outside
Paper:  Bristol Smooth Mixed Media, White Hammered Paper - Amazon.
Ink:  Gray Brushos
Accessories:  Craft Mat, Water Mister, Cling Wrap, Lamplight Tree Collage die - Memory Box, foam strips, yellow Copic, Black and White POSCA pens, Quote Chips: Christmas - Tim Holtz/Idea-ology.

Peace on Earth
Stamps:  Peace on Earth from Great Outdoors set, trees and cloud stamps from Stamptember 2021 set - Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous.
Paper: Bristol Smooth Mixed Media, White - PTI.
Ink:  Ranger Distress Festive Berries and Pine Needles.
Accessories:  Craft Mat, Water Mister, Cling Wrap, White POSCA Pen, Nested Rectangle with Square Holes Die - Rubbernecker.

16 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

How gorgeous are these!? Julia, you 'had me' at gray! Such a gorgeous nighttime background - perfect for when the streetlamps come on!
=]

Christine Alexander said...

all the backgrounds are beautiful Julia, I love the colour combo with your peace on earth card- such a magical sky xx

nancy littrell said...

OMG..TFS your photos of your step by step beautiful Smooshing with the Cling Wrap Technique using Distress Inks and Brushos, Julia. I loved how you shared all 6 backgrounds too. Your 3 Christmas cards turned out beauifully, my friend. Thank you again for sharing..Love and Hugs and...Happy Holidays:-) Nancy

Lisa Elton said...

You backgrounds came out fabulous and so dramatic! Love the pretty lamppost card, Julia!

Loll said...

Awesome cards with Smooshing and cling wrap, Julia. LOVE how you've showed your panels using same colours with different outcomes. I thought Brushos would give you the most vibrant colours, so that's great to know that the DIs were brightest. xx

Darnell said...

You are a great instructor, sis! You'll never know how many readers you will inspire and teach with all the steps you laid out, the photos, and the stunning results! You are going to add a lot of cool cards to your stash when you make them all up. My favorite, so far, is the wintry scene with the awesome sediment! Happy Holiday Hugs, Darnell

Joanne said...

That looks like such a fun technique to try! Your cards are just lovely.

Diane said...

Wow, your cards and panels are awesome, so creative and beautiful!!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Peace On Earth!
Diane POE Co-Owner
{Nellies Nest}
{Peace On Earth}

Brenda in IN said...

I loved seeing how you did each step and the colors. That red and green card is awesome and the gray is a perfect winter sky. All your panels came out great.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Three gorgeous cards with that technique, Julia! Thanks for showing the steps and a side-by-side of your backgrounds; fun to see! My fave is the grey with the Brushos - so soft and serene!!

Sue N said...

Wow, gorgeous cards, Julia! I love the look the cling wrap gives the BG panels! What a fun technique! Into my favorites file to help me remember to try the BG technique! Thanks for the inspiration! Sue N

HilaryJane said...

These are all stunning. What amazing backgrounds that technique makes xx

Bonnie said...

Fantastic results with this technique, Julia! I love all the cells that you got with the cling wrap and three beautiful cards, so far! Can't wait to see what you do with the rest!

Marcia Hill said...

BEAUTIFUL cards Julia!! It's been a long time since I played with this technique, but will definitely have to play again after seeing all these beauties!! Thanks for all the step by step photos too to remind me of the process! Lovely, lovely cards my friend!! Hugs. :0)

Susan said...

Great work on our Group of Seven technique, Julia! Love all of your cards, but especially the first one - it has such great texture in the background. Thanks so much for linking up the last one to the Peace on Earth challenge!

Greta said...

Adding the cling wrap gives such a unique look to the smooshed panels--gotta try that! I absolutely love the look of the card made with the gray background, but all of them are beautiful!