Tuesday, March 28, 2023

March Group of Seven Cardmakers - Technique: Embossed Gilding Flakes

 It's time for the March Group of Seven Cardmakers Post!  This month we are playing with the Embossed Gilding Flakes technique.

Here are the two cards I created.  
This card uses the debossed panel.
I bought these Museum Bust Fancy dies from Hero Arts after Kent and I went to the King Tut Show in Boston last year.  I used the classic busts on these cards but the set includes two Egyptian busts as well.  I think they worked perfectly with the panels I created using the gilding flakes!

This card uses the embossed panel.

The black panels are embossed with Lumen Embossing Folder from Simon Says Stamp.

I die cut the statues out of Distress Woodgrain Card and then rubbed Lost Shadow Distress ink lightly over them to try to simulate marble.

Here are a few process photos creating the embossed gilding flakes panels.

I covered 2 panels of white card stock with Stick It, a double sided adhesive sheet.

I removed the top of the Stick it Sheet from the card panels and laid the panels, sticky side up, inside a pizza box to help contain the flying of the gilding flakes!  I spread the Autumn Gilding Flakes over the panels and pressed it onto the panel with my fingers.  Then I brushed the gilding flakes off with a stiff brush.  

Note:  She uses 3 colors of gilding flakes on the video but my Autumn Flakes are already a mix of colors so I just used that.

I took the gilded panels and put them together with the gilding flaked sides facing out and placed them inside the 3D Texture Fades Botanical folder from Sizzix.  Then I ran the embossing folder through my Big Shot twice to give a good impression.  That gave me an embossed panel and a debossed panel.

(The white line and spots on the panels below are places the double sided adhesive paper didn't stick- I colored over those spots with a gold metallic pen.)
I die cut arches out of the panels using A2 Arches from the Greetery.  

The final step is to rub a black ink over the panels.  On the embossed panel it hits the raised image and on the debossed panel it hits the background.  

Note:  The tutorial says to use a permanent ink like StazOn or Archival -  but I found those inks made the panels very sticky and it never seemed to dry, maybe due to whatever the flakes are made of?? maybe my inks were old?  Anyway, I decided to make two new panels.

So after trying ALL my various kinds of black inks unsuccessfully (ie they all felt sticky), I tried Memento Tuxedo Black ink and that seemed to dry. I also noticed that all the black inks seem to fade a little as they sit on the flakes.
You will find a link to a YouTube video with this technique over at The Group of Seven blog.

So please check out the rest of the Seven's creations, and if you decide to give this technique a try please link your card up over at The Group of Seven Blog

I'm interested to hear what black ink you were successful with on the embossed gilded panels!


I'm also linking my card to:

my sentiment Make each day your masterpiece.

die cuts

anything goes






Stamps:  Motivational Center Mona Lisa Moments - Cornish Heritage Farms (retired)
Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black, Ranger Lost Shadow Distress (rubbed over statures), Versamark.
Paper:  White Distress Woodgrain Card - Tim Holtz/Ranger, white and True Black - Papertrey Ink,  Metallic Gold - Parklane/JoAnn.
Accessories:  Stick It Double Sided Adhesive Sheets, Autumn Leaves Gilding Flakes - Cosmic Shimmer, Fancy Dies Museum Busts - Hero Arts, A2 Arches die - The Greetery, 3D Texture Fade Botanical Embossing Folder - Tim Holtz/Sizzix, Lumen Embossing Folder - Simon Says Stamp, Gold Embossing Powder (for sentiment), heat tool

17 comments:

Christine Alexander said...

Both backgrounds are gorgeous, I love the antique effect with the bronze/gold gilding flakes. This was a fun technique and definitely on my list to try again ♥

Darnell said...

These are really cool designs with the busts, sis! Truly works of art! I love that you took the time to photo the process and thank you for your ink research. I will give it a go with Memento next time! Hugs, Darnell

Arlene said...

The panels are beautiful. They give an old world charm. Wonderful cards. And thank you for the tips.

So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas for our “Anything Goes” challenge.

nancy littrell said...

TFS your two elegant embossed and debossed backgrounds on your finished cards, Julia. I plan to use Archival Ink when I try this beautiful technique. It has been great having you GO7 girls all your do's and don'ts on your beautiful cards. TFS all your photos too and detailed description. Love and Hugs..Nancy

Marcia Hill said...

These are beautiful Julia and I love your bust dies...so classic and elegant looking with the gilding flakes! Will definitely have to try this technique! :0)

ScrappyHorses said...

Gorgeous results on the embossing/debossing! Perfect background for the bust and encouraging sentiment! So happy you shared your technique and beautiful card at Path of Positivity! ~Katrina

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Two gorgeous gilded cards, Julia! Thanks for showing the process photos - always love that. Looks like a fun technique - one I've not tried but will give it a go sometime...

Bonnie said...

You got such beautiful results with your gilding and inking over the embossing, Julia! My black inking was kind of smeary looking and my panels felt sticky too but I think it was from the sticky paper. Maybe my gilding flakes weren't on thick enough. Love, love, love both of your cards! The arched backgrounds are perfect for these die cut busts!

Michelle N. said...

A really stunning result with those gilding flakes! They are just gorgeous! Thanks for joining us at Die Cut Divas!

Loll said...

I love that you've used the embossed and debossed for your two cards Julia. Autumn Leaves is my favourite gilding flake combination ... the colours are so beautiful. I love the way the busts look against the gilded backgrouds. What a cool set of dies! xx

Deepti Aggarwal said...

So So Gorgeous Julia... Love the embossing..Thank you so much for playing with us at Time Out. Hugsxx Deepti

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Such a beautiful and creative card. How did our challenge quote inspire you?? Thanks for playing with us at Time Out.

Kate said...

I love the arched columns you’ve created for your busts - just like being in a museum housing the great classics!! So clever of you to use the word day in your sentiment so you could play along with our Inspired By Words Challenge - we are thrilled you could join us at Time Out! Hugs, Kate!!

Brenda in IN said...

Those bust die cuts are the bomb and look wonderful against both embossed and debossed panels. They look so authentic by using the Arches die. Thanks for the tip about using Memento ink.

Trina P. said...

Fabulous cards and results with this technique. The busts are perfect for them. Love how you can get two panels from one run through.

Susan said...

Your gilding flakes panels turned out so well. I'm going to do some more and use the Memento Tuxedo Black instead of my StazOn. I love the way you trimmed them with the arched top and added the sculpture die cuts and that fabulous sentiment.

Papercraft Boutique said...

Both cards are fantastic, Julia! The embossed and debossed panels look gorgeous and perfect for the museum bust die-cuts! The shine, the depth, and the mix of colors are all wonderful! Thanks for sharing the photos of the process, and the tips on the black inks!
Hideko xx