Saturday, July 6, 2019

Adventure Awaits Notebook Journal

Today I have a Notebook to share that I made using lots of Eileen Hull's products - her Sizzix Notebook and Passport Dies, several of her new Blends 2 inks and several of her Molten Dimensions embossing powders!
I cut the cover using Eileen's Notebook die out of a light cardboard similar to the weight of a cereal box.  I covered it with this beautiful wide washi tape called Nebular from Altenew.
I folded the washi tape over on the edges to the inside of the cover, snipping the corners so they would lay flat.
I die cut the pages from Eileen's Passport Die out of watercolor paper.
I sponged two of the pages and the inside front and back cover pieces using Eileen's new Clearsnap Blends 2 Inks using Sunshine, Melon, Leaf, Hydrangea, Pansy, Coconut and Flagstone (on the outside edges).  This ink is so thick - it's almost like a paint!  I spritzed water into each color so I could blend them easily.
First I sponged on watery Sunshine. 
I cut up two round yellow art sponges into 4 pieces to sponge the colors, pouncing one color at a time on the watercolor panel.  I love the bubble spots it leaves from the holes in the sponge .
Next I sponged on watery Melon
then watery Leaf
and watery Hydrangea
Finally, I sponged watery Pansy over the bottom, sides, top edge and through the middle in spots.  I was looking to create a solar sky to go along with the Nebular Washi Tape cover.
I dried the panel with my heat tool then mixed a few drops of Coconut Blends 2 with water, picked some up on a small paint brush and tapped it against my finger to splatter 'stars' on the panel.
I dried the panels with my heat tool then adhered them to the inside covers to hide the turned over edges of the Washi tape using ScorTape.
I did the same sponging process on the first and last page of the two signatures.  I attached the signatures with black elastic cord wrapped through the middle of each signature and around the binding of the Notebook.  I stamped various celestial images and sentiments on the pages including the plain pages
 The stamps above and below are all from Upon a Star from Lawn Fawn.
 The stamp on the back inside cover is Infinite Universe from Lesia Agharda Design.
 The Zodiac Celestial stamp is from Star Gazer Additions from Papertrey Ink.
 These next two sentiment stamps are from Starlight Starbright from Verve.
Below is the center of the first signature and you can see the elastic cord in the middle. The sentiment is another one from the Star Gazer Additions Set.
Here you can see the two elastic cords knotted on the outside of the binding,  I added a little passport charm to one of the knots.  I looped a piece of paper string through the cords to wrap around and tie the journal closed.
Now I'd like to show you how I made the embossed ATC circle on the cover.  I saw this YouTube video on how to melt embossing powders using an electric platter.  I actually bought this electric pancake platter from Walmart to use specifically for this purpose!
 (you can't use it for food once you've used it to melt powders.)
So I laid my craft mat over the platter that was heated to 300 degrees F.  I placed ATC coins cut out of MDF that I purchased.  I think you can just use cardstock if you want - but I wanted something a little more sturdy.  So first I spooned on Eileen's Glistening Glass Molton Dimensions over the coins and let them melt totally clear.  Here they are all partially melted.  It just takes a few minutes to totally melt.
Then I spooned on various amounts of Black Magic, Polished Silver and Aqua Splash Powders and let them melt.
Here they are (along with one I did earlier using Golden Rod rather than black powder.  I used a metal pick to make the squiggles, just running it through the colors.
This is the one I chose to use on the cover as it looked the most like outer space!
I adhered the circle to the cover with both ScorTape and Matte Multi Medium to be sure it stuck to the washi tape.
The sentiment is from Big World stamp set by Altenew.  I embossed it in white on a black strip.
Please check out Eileen Hull's blog this month to see how the Inspiration Team is using several of her new dies and products!

Also linking my journal to:
Creative Artiste Mixed Media
Anything Goes

Time Out Challenges
inspired by the word Moon


Stamps:  Big World - Altenew, Infinite Universe - Lesia Zgharda Design, Upon a Star - Lawn Fawn, Starlight Starbright - Verve, Star Gazer Additions - Papertrey Ink.
Paper: light weight cardboard (from packaging I had), watercolor paper - Canson
Ink:  Clear Snap Color Box Blends 2 Sunshine, Melon, Leaf, Hydrangea, Pansy, Coconut, Flagstone - Eileen Hull/Clearsnap, Versamark, True Black - PTI, Hero Hues Black.
Accessories:  Nebula Washi Tape 6 3/4" wide - Altenew, Notebook Die, Passport Die - Eileen Hull/Sizzix, ATC MDF - Top Flight Stamps, electric pancake plate, Molten Dimensions Black Magic, Polished Silver, Aqua Splash, Glistening Glass - Eileen Hull/Emerald Creek, art sponges, water mister, Matte Multi Medium, ScorTape, white embossing powder, black paper string - Ranger, Clear Glitter Wink of Stella, black elastic cord, passport charm - unknown.

12 comments:

~amy~ said...

wow! Such an amazing project Julia!

Bonnie said...

Amazing book, Julia! I love the outer space theme and all the different techniques! I actually use my griddle for pancakes as well as crafts. I use a craft mat under the parchment paper on the griddle to keep the craft goodies off. So far, so good.

nancy littrell said...

Wow..."Out of This World" celestial book, Julia. Your Washi Tape and faux enamel circle really made your book Stunning, my friend. Your inside painted pages were gorgeous as well. TFS your step by step photo tutorial too. Hugs...Nancy

Papercraft Boutique said...

An amazing outer space notebook journal, Julia! I love it!
The washi tape is perfect for the cover, the sponged galaxy pages with splatter "stars" are gorgeous, and the little passport charm is a great addition to the journal. The embossed circle itself is a piece of art! The pattern the embossing powders made does look like outer space. Fantastic design and execution!
Hideko xx

Mac Mable said...

Stunning mixed media project. Wonderfully creative and love the heat embossing with the the pancake maker...so unique and fabulous x.

Loll said...

This is an AMAZING journal, Julia! I LOVE your design and construction. That washi tape is beautiful for the front. The panels you made for the inside look just like it --- great work, my friend. And I LOVE your planet coin. So very cool. I think most of our team have bought the griddles - so fun to use. Wonderful images on the inside with the black elastic cords holding everything in the right place. You are a master at creating journals. Thanks for the step-by-step photos! xx

Anita in France said...

What a fantastic notebook, Julia ... each element is so beautifully put together with thought and wonderful attention to detail! Thanks for sharing how you created the moon ... it's perfect for this celestial project! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Time Out! Anita :)

Andree said...

A fabulous notebook. The depth of the colours is wonderful and the embossed circle looks amazing.
Thank you for joining in with our July challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x

eileen hull said...

That is such a cool Notebook Julia! I love how you brought all of those products together to create such a cohesive book... and those round outer space coins- WOW@ Just bought my own griddle but have not tried it yet. Now I have to get it out :-)

Lisa Kind said...

Wow Julia! This is chock full of goodness! So much fun things to look at and I love the medallion you created for the front. A creation to cherish for sure! Thanks for playing our Time Out challenge!

Craftychris said...

This is amazing! I love the medallion on the front, super cool. xxx

Lys said...

Adventure is on the way, for sure with this space theme notebook. Great process, thanks. Thanks for joining us at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge!