Saturday, May 4, 2019

May CAS Stencil Card Challenge - Stenciling Over Coloured Background

It's time for the May CAS Stencil Challenge!  Sue is our hostess with the mostest this month an she wants us to stencil over a coloured background. 
I checked out this video posted on the challenge site for inspiration:
  Stenciling over Ink Blended Backgrounds by Kristina Werner (first 3 minutes).
I created my first colored background using the same Ranger Distress Ink colors Kristina did (Wilted Violet, Picked Raspberry then Seedless Preserves through the stencil) just to see how the technique all worked!  The idea is (I think!) to use the darkest color over the stencil.  I used white card as my base - Kristina used kraft card.
I used a recently purchased stencil from AALL and Create #31 Bohemian, laying it over the panel and inking it with Seedless Preserves.
I love this stencil - not only the design, but whatever plastic it's made of.  It is very sturdy and cleans up with just a quick rinse! 
(I have found that thinner plastic stencils can lift up and bend on delicate designs when you sponge over them.)
I cut the panel in half to make my card CAS and added die cut HUGS (I layered 3 cuts to make it stand out).  I stamped the sentiment on a white strip and adhered it above the die cut.
Then I thought I'd try some lighter spring colors to see how they worked out.  I used Squeezed Lemonade and Twisted Cintron on a white card panel.
I used the same stencil.
I sponged over the stencil using Ripe Persimmon
Such a different look just changing the colors used!

Here are the two sets of cards side by side.



So please try out this stenciling technique and link up your CAS design over at the CAS Stencil Challenge Blog!  Check out all the lovely inspiration from the Design Team as well as from our wonderful May Guest Designer Michelle!  You have until 5/24 to play along!


Stamps:  Sentiment Set - Hero Arts
Paper:  White, Green Parakeet, Amethyst Allure - PTI
Ink:  Ranger Distress Wilted Violet, Picked Raspberry, Seedless Preserves, Squeezed Lemonade, Twisted Cintron, Ripe Persimmon, True Black - PTI
Accesories:  Stencil #31 - AALL and Create, Big Hugs Dies - PTI, Tombow Glue.

16 comments:

Loll said...

WOW! Stunning cards Julia! Love both the colour combinations. This beautiful stencil really makes a huge impact. LOVE the split sentiment with stamping and die-cut. Both versions of the finishing are so pretty! xx

Sue said...

Two stunning cards, Julia! Wonderful colour combinations and the die-cut sentiment is lovely.

nancy littrell said...

Two beautiful artsy stenciled card designs, Julia. TFS both your beauties. I look forward to trying your technique. Hugs...Nancy

Christine Alexander said...

Julia, your cards are so inspirational. I totally love the effect with that stencil and can't wait to give this a try :)

Trina P. said...

Agree... two beautiful and different looks with just a switch of colors, Julia. Amazing stencilling with that intricate stencil design. xx

Bonnie said...

Such a cool stencil, Julia! Love the colors on both cards that make for very different looks!

Barb Ghig said...

Great job on this technique and I love your stencil, Julia! Beautiful color palettes, too! Thanks so much for sharing your process with us and for the link to Kristina's video :)

Susan said...

Two beautiful cards in wonderful colour combinations! Love the technique of adding the stenciling to the coloured background!

Papercraft Boutique said...

These are amazing, Julia! The stenciled surface looks like suede, and I love the color combos and the stencil design! Changing the colors and die-cut sentiment fonts makes the cards look very different from each other - such a beautiful variation! Thanks for the step-by-step photo tutorial, as always!
Hideko xx

Darnell said...

Great twofer, sis!! Thanks for showing the step-by-step of how you achieved these beautiful and colorful stenciled designs!! Enjoy your week! Hugs, Darnell

Robyn Oliver said...

Fabulous set of cards Julia, works out well when you can make two and that is one really nice stencil.

Linda said...

WOW! Amazing results. Love the colour combinations and what a fab stencil xx

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Both combinations work so well! Lovely job!

Thanks for sharing, and I also want to thank you for stopping by my blog! It was great to see you!

Mac Mable said...

Stunning cards both of them with a fun technique, which looks so unique and striking x.

Cathy said...

2 gorgeous cards, love the colour combinations and great designs, Cathy x

A.Rose said...

You have certainly inspired me to try this. Thank you.