Wednesday, August 28, 2024

August Group of 7 Cardmakers 8/24 - Product Spotlight - Embossing Vellum

 The Group of Seven Cardmakers post for August is up - and this month we are playing with embossing Vellum.  There are links to videos for several different ways to emboss on vellum over at the blog so be sure to check them out for some new ideas.

It is recommended to use a thicker vellum (they come in several thicknesses) as the vellum can crack when you emboss with a folder if it's thin.  

The vellum I used on the Monstera card was dotted and a little thinner than the plain vellum I have and it did 'punch through' on a few spots - but nothing that ruined it!  So you just need to try it out on the vellum you have.

  The dots on the vellum show up on the embossed green inked leaves.

Just a few photos of how I made my card.

Emboss the vellum using Monstera Frame 3D embossing folder from Altenew.  I used a white dotted vellum.

Die cut the Monstera leaf from The Greetery out of hammered white card.  Rub ink pad over the leaf to color.  The hammered cardstock gives it a nice mottled effect. Glue the vein piece over the leaf.

Rub ink pad over the embossed areas of the vellum - dry with heat tool (don't hold over one area for too long or you might burn the vellum.  Heat from both front and back.)  It didn't matter that some ink got on the center of my vellum since it was covered with the die cut leaf.

I gold embossed the sentiment on a 3/4" x 4 1/4" strip of plain vellum and adhered it below the leaf with Glue Dots.  I adhered the monstera leaf to the center with foam dots and used Glue Dots to adhere the panel to the white card base.

I made this Christmas Snowflake card by simply embossing a panel of vellum and layering it to a blue panel that was die cut with a scalloped frame. I adhered the vellum panel to the blue card with Glue Dots. The blue card shows through the embossed vellum giving it a subtle color. I layered the panel to a white card base. 

My next 4 cards show how different a card can look using the same stamp with different color Copics.  I used the same technique on all 4 - stamping an image with Nocturne Ink on vellum and embossing it with clear embossing powder - turning the panel over and coloring the image from the back with Copics.

For the two cards below, I stamped the Daisy Days cover stamp from Unity onto two vellum panels using Nocturne Versafine Claire ink and embossing with Clear Embossing Powder.  I used a pink and teal Copic on the first card coloring over the image on the back of the panel and a yellow and orange Copic on the 2nd card..  I adhered these panels to the white card base with Glue Dots on the corners, sides and center.
I adhered a panel of vellum to an Adhesive Sheet from Sizzix and die cut the two sentiments.  I peeled off the back  and adhered the sentiments to the cards.

I used the same technique on the floral cards below -  stamping  the floral from Dearest Friend by Altenew in Nocturne ink, embossing with Clear Embossing Powder and coloring with Copics on the back of the panel. 
For these two cards,  I adhered the inked panels to Adhesive Sheets and then die cut the frame.  Then I removed the backing and adhered the panels to white card bases.
I used 3 colors on this one.
I used just two colors on this one.

We'd love to see what you create with any of the ways of embossing vellum.  There are links to YouTube videos showing several techniques over at the blog.  You will find the videos, lovely creations by the rest of the GO7 team and link up over at The Group of Seven


I'm linking my Monstera card to:

first time using the Monstera Embossing Folder

I'm linking my Christmas card to:

ends 9/6

Anything Christmas Goes  ends 9/7

ends 8/29


I'm linking my pastel floral card to:

ends 9/2



Monstera Card

Stamps: Ways to Say: Get Well Soon - PTI
Ink: Vintage Jadeite - PTI, Versamark
Paper: Hammered White - Amazon, Sheer Basics Vellum (dots/stars/stripes) - PTI, clear vellum from stash.
Accessories: Monstera Frame Embossing Folder - Altenew, Large Leaves - Monstera die - The Greetery, gold embossing powder - Ranger, heat tool, embossing pillow, glue dots, foam dots, enamel hearts - Altenew.

Snowflake Christmas
Stamps: Christmas Cheer - PTI (retired)
Ink:  Blueberry Sky - PTI
Paper:  white, Blueberry Sky, Vellum Card Stock - Papertrey Ink, Hammered White - Amazon
Accessories:  Winter Snowflakes 3D Textured Impressions embossing Folder - Sizzix,  Christmas Cheer Die - PTI (retired), Nested Stitched Scallop Dies - Amazon, glue dots, Enamel Dots - Altenew.

Thinking of You and Thank You
Stamps: Daisy Days - Unity
Ink:  Nocturne - Versafine Clair
Paper:  Vellum, - PT
Accessories:  sentiment dies - Amazon, Copics Y02, Y38, R32, BG18, glue dots, Adhesive Sheets - Sizzix, clear embossing powder, heat tool.

Thinking of You and Feel Better Soon 
Stamps:  Dearest Friend - Altenew
Ink:  Nocturne - Versafine Claire, Versamark
Paper:  Vellum , White - PTI
Accessories:  Copics BG18, R32, Y38, Adhesive Sheets - Sizzix,  clear embossing powder, heat tool, Strip Sentiments - Waffle Flower, sentiment dies - Amazon


15 comments:

Loll said...

All six cards are AMAZING, Julia. LOVE the gorgeous leafy card in shades of bright green. The texture really shows through with the embossing. And same for your pretty snowflake card. Pretty blue scalloped edge! Great work on colouring the Daisy Day cover stamps with copics ... gorgeous in both colour combinations. That image makes such a statement --- and you've made STUNNING cards with your colouring. And finally, two sweet cards using copics to colour your lovely flower sprays. You've done such a great job of showing the versatility of vellum!! Love, Loll

Bonnie said...

I love the look of the patterned vellum with the monstera leaf! The vellum gives the embossed snowflakes misty look. I have the daisy stamp and I'd not thought to stamp it on vellum. Love the look! Thanks for the inspiration. You got two very different looks with the bouquet cards! Both looks are so pretty!

Christine Alexander said...

So many beautiful cards Julia, I think my favourite is the detailed flower stamps. OMG they look amazing ♥

Susan said...

What a wonderful selection of cards, Julia! My favourite is the snowflake one. Love the vellum against the blue cs and the pretty framing - great sentiment treatment. Thanks so much for linking it up with our Peace on Earth challenge. The other cards all demonstrate fabulous different ways of using vellum.

nancy littrell said...

OMG, Julia.....your Six Cards are so beautiful and show the versatility of your different and very beautiful cards:-) Such wonderful and creative ways to use the versatile and beautiful vellum:-) Thank you so much for sharing. Love and Hugs....Nancy

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Six beautiful examples of dry and wet embossing on vellum, Julia - thanks for the inspiration!! I haven't done either in ages so will have to get out the vellum :) Especially love the monstera one but all are gorgeous!!

Marcia Hill said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL cards Julia!! I love the look of embossed vellum and your leaf and snowflake cards are gorgeous! All of them are, but the first two stood out the most to me! Lovely, lovely cards my friend!! Hugs. :0)

Jeanne H said...

Really wonderful cards. TFS

Lia said...

Your christmascard is a beauty
Lia DT POE

Lisa Elton said...

You had me with that marvelous polka dot vellum, Julia but these are all fantastic! Thanks for the inspiration!

Pat said...

Six terrific cards Julia, and I love the die cut Monastera leaf over the background embossed ones, and a pretty shade of green you used, and I think the dots showing through the inked embossing is very pretty. The blue scalloped frame on the next with the embossed snowflake design on the vellum looks wonderful, and the glue dots fix the vellum well and really don't show. The large flower design on the next two with the inking on the back works really well, and the final two beautiful Altenew flowers stamped and coloured with alcohol pens on the back are gorgeous, and a great idea to stick the panel onto a piece of adhesive sheet, again seamless fixing onto the card base. x

Blažkino papirčkanje said...

I love it! It seems so simple, but is so very nice. I need to try this technique.

Valentina B said...

Many beautiful cards and a very beautful winter Christmas card.
Thank you for joining our challenge at 52CCT with your embossing on vellum. Valentina DT

Robyn Oliver said...

Wonderful inspiration Julia - all the cards are amazing and great to see the effect of using different colours to change the look, have a great day, Robyn

My Paper Epiphany said...

Stunning collection of cards Julia!