Friday, August 2, 2024

July Card Chain Challenge Reveal - Home is Where Your Birds Sing

 Today is reveal day over at the Card Chain Challenge - where we see all the cards that were exchanged in July.

 I sent a card to Linda in Michigan and I received a card from Dagmara in Germany!

This month I used the suggested sketch, and the theme of feathers (my bird!)


I always save little strips of  leftover DP from projects and that is what I used on my bird - I took a panel of 4 1/4" x 4 1/2" white card and adhered strips of DP to fill the panel and then I die cut the panel with Tim Holtz/Sizzix Bigs Die - Bird Silhouette.  

Every time I do this - the bird looks different because the strips of DP are always different - it's really fun to see how the birds  look after they are cut.

I die cut a circle (JUST realized it really should have been an oval!?? for the sketch)  out of the floral panel from Untamed Meadows by Unity with a circle Nestability and layered it over a piece of Bitty Box Basics DP.  Then I layered the bird over the panel with foam dots.  I added a thin strip of brushed gold card under the birds feet to ground him.

I adhered the card panel to a panel of watercolor paper to make it sturdy and adhered a die cut easel to the back, as well as stamping a bird.

We hope you'll check out the Card Chain Challenge and join us any month!  You'll find all the details over at the CCC blog.  You have until Aug 6 to sign up for the August exchange!

I'm also linking my card to:

1st time using the Untamed Meadow DP 



Inspired by 'somewhere"  home  and 'Summer' - Birds and flowers

Seasons Delights - summer feeding the birds    ends 8/9

In the Garden ends  8/5





Stamps:  Backyard Bird Friends Stamp and Die Combo - Ellen Hutson (retired)
Ink:  Nocturne - Versafine Clair
Paper:  White - PTI, watercolor paper - Canson Cold Press, Brushed Gold - Stampin Up, DP Untamed Meadow - Unity, Bitty Box Basics - Papertrey Ink, strips of scraps from my stash, 
Accessories:  Circle die - Nestabilities, Bird Silhouette Bigz Die - Tim Holtz/Sizzix (retired), black enamel dots - Altenew, foam dots.

19 comments:

papierelle said...

I'm really impressed with how you designed the bird. The beautiful flower meadow in the background fits perfectly.

HilaryJane said...

What a great way to use up those left over strips. Your bird looks great. Love that background paper too xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful card! I love how you created the bird with the different papers, it's a great way to use up those leftovers 😊. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

Viv said...

Just wonderful Julia! Thanks for sharing with us at TIOT!

Lisa Elton said...

What a fun and creative bird! Terrific card, Julia!

Gail L said...

This is so great!
I too die cut a circle!!
Fabulous image!

Darnell said...

Great take on the sketch, sis, and how fun that you made this pretty bird design with an easel stand! I commend you for saving and actually USING those little strips of pp! Thank you for inspiring everyone to use their NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

Loll said...

Such a lovely card with your gorgeous background and that sweet bird make from strips of patterned paper. So creative and fun! xx

Susan said...

What a brilliant idea for using up scraps of dp! I love the sweet bird in those colours / stripes! Beautiful choice of papers for the background.

Arlene said...

I love the bird and I didn't even notice it was a circle because the bird is placed perfectly for an oval.

Bonnie said...

That's a fantastic way to use up little scraps of patterned paper and it makes an interesting one of a kind bird! I'm sure Linda is delighted to receive this!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Just love your paper-pieced bird, Julia!! Great idea for using up scraps!! I replaced the oval with a circle too, Julia - artist license!

Pia S said...

I love how the bird of scraps turned out, and the paper with meadow print makes a nice background for it. A decorative card.

Sarah said...

A great card and the bird is wonderful. thank you for sharing at Allsorts. Sarah DT

Christine Alexander said...

A wonderful way to use up DP, I love the card ♥

Dotty Jo said...

This is gorgeous, Julia! I always love your cards so much. Thanks for being a link in our CCC chain of friendship and fun, Jo x

Kate said...

Your bird is lovely Julia and what a great way to use up those scraps - some are just too pretty to throw out aren't they! And your fabulous bird looks right at home on this DP! Thank you for sharing with us at Time Out Challenges!
Hugs, Kate (DT Time Out Challenges);

Imke said...

Lovely bird, Julia. I like that technique - a great way to use scraps.

Happy to be also part in this FUN swap. Love it to join each month.

Quillish said...

What a cool idea to use scraps and an awesome technique! Love the way you designed the card and also made it an easel card! Thank you for joining us at Time Out challenges :) Hugs ~ Ishani