Monday, August 28, 2023

Group of Seven Cardmakers - Ink Blending with Dox Inks

This month, the Group of Seven Cardmakers is sharing a second way to do Ink Blending.  This time we are working with DOX Inks, embossing and water lifting! 

You will find links to several videos over at the GO7 blog showing this technique.

Basically, you blend 3 DOX inks over a white card panel.  Dry the ink panel, rub over the panel with an embossing pillow, stamp the image with Versafine add the embossing powder and heat (I used black embossing powder but several people used white).  Then you  'paint' over the inside of the images with water on a brush (a small section at a time) and press a clean towel over the watery section to 'lift' the ink, leaving a lighter shade of the color inside the image.

So I started planning by looking for outline flower stamps that filled a whole A2 panel - and found out I don't have any? How can that be?? 
 
So then I looked for any nature stamps that are outlined with open centers and I made the following three cards.

This card is 4"x4".  I used white card and blended DOX inks Seedless Preserves, Picked Raspberry and Crackling Campfire (top to bottom)

For this  A2 size card I used DOX inks Spun Sugar, Picked Raspberry and Wilted Violet.


This A2 card has DOX inks Scattered Straw, Worn Lipstick and Festive Berries.

Then I tried using a more detailed block stamp to see how it would work.   It's a pretty stamp and I like the fall colors I used  - but you almost can't tell I tried to lift the ink with water and a brush on all the spaces inside of the frame.  These two are 4"x 4"

I think they are pretty cards - but it isn't obvious I used the technique??

Dox Inks Rustic Wilderness, Rusty Hinge, Crushed Olive

Dox Inks: Fired Brick, Ripe Persimmon, Dried Marigold.

NOTES:  

1.  On a couple of first tries -  I had trouble when embossing my image - the embossing powder stuck all over the panel even if I dried the panel with my heat tool and had used the powder pillow.   So I started just letting the inked panel sit for a couple of hours, Then used the powder pillow and embossed the image.

2.  One time I think my heat tool was too hot (I wanted to dry it quickly!) - and a smoky mist started coming off the panel - and brushing inside the image with water did not remove any of the ink color.  I started using a lower heat option on my heat tool.

3.  For unknown reasons - even when I created the panels the same - the ink did not noticeably come off with the water and brush on some of them (see my last two Give Thanks cards). 

4.  It's also been very humid here this summer, outside and in my craft room - so this makes all inks more juicy and take longer to dry - so that could be part of my issues.


You'll find lots of variations by the rest of the Group of Seven over at the blog where there is also a Mr. Linky where you can link your project showing everyone how you created with this technique!  

Let's go see how the rest of the Group of 7 used this technique!  
Hope to see you there!

I'm linking my Best Wishes card to
Wednesday Challenge - Bright and Cheerful





Best Wishes
Stamps: Watercolor Poppies (the outline stamp of a two stamp set) - Rubbernecker
Ink: Ranger DOX inks: Seedless Preserves, Picked Raspberry and Crackling Campfire, Versamark, Nocturne - Versafine Clair.
Paper: White - Papertrey Ink
Accessories: Blender brushes, paint brush, water, paper towel, black embossing powder, heat tool, embossing pillow.

Live in the Sunshine
Stamps: One With Nature - Simon Says Stamp
Ink:  Ranger DOX inks: Spun Sugar, Picked Raspberry and Wilted Violet, Versamark.
Paper: white - Papertrey Ink
Accessories:  White POSCA Pen, Blender brushes, paint brush, water, paper towel, Black embossing powder, heat tool, embossing pillow.

Explore Nature
Stamps: Natures Wonder (leaves) Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous, sentiment from One With Nature - Simon Says Stamp
Ink:  Ranger DOX inks: Scattered Straw, Worn Lipstick and Festive Berries, Versamark
Paper: white - Papertrey Ink
Accessories:  White POSCA Pen, Enamel Dots - Altenew,  Blender brushes, paint brush, water, paper towel, Black embossing powder, heat tool, embossing pillow.

Give Thanks Cards
Stamps: Give Thanks - Peddlers Pack (red rubber on wood stamp)
Ink:  1st card Dox Inks Rustic Wilderness, Rusty Hinge, Crushed Olive;  2nd card Dox Inks: Fired Brick, Ripe Persimmon, Dried Marigold, Versamark
Paper: Bristol Smooth Surface Strathmore
Accessories:  Tiny Gems - Gina Marie Designs, Blender brushes, paint brush, water, paper towel, Black embossing powder, heat tool, embossing pillow.

11 comments:

Darnell said...

These are all awesome, sis! And I love how you laid out the process and the results so the technique is clear and informative! Hugs, Darnell

nancy littrell said...

Beautiful cards and fabulous description of the techniques of each card, Julia:-) TFS your perfect cards and your cards that did not show off the water lifting techniques. It is always so much fun to experiment. I only got to make 1 card..(so far), but learned key steps..especially how important it is to dry the blended DOX colors!!! I explained in my description:-) I loved the color lifting effect and will do more of that in the future... Also all the videos by Kristina really helped with my ink blending! It takes LOTS of ink, but the effect is beautiful. Your 1st card was my favorite, but I learned from all your cards and appreciate you sharing. Love and Hugs...Nancy

HilaryJane said...

I think all these cards look gorgeous and thanks for sharing your experience and tips. I just want to give this a try, hope i manage to find time xx

Christine Alexander said...

Beautiful collection of blended cards Julia, your colour combos are stunning ♥. I especially like the Rustic Wilderness, Rusty Hinge and Crushed Olive.

For the first time ever I left mine dry overnight. I had a busy day so I did my blending and came back to heat emboss. I used my embossing buddy and had no problem with excess sticking of the powder, I normally get tons. So from now on I think I'll blend one day and heat emboss the next.

Loll said...

Beautiful cards Julia. I think the black embossing is very dramatic with your gorgeous, bold colours. So lovely!! All your colour combinations are beautiful, but I especially love your first one ... my fav colours! :) The colour did lighten a lot on your last two cards, but I think with the more intricate design in black, it just isn't as obvious. You have a wonderful variety of cards using these techniques, my friend! Love, Lolly

Bonnie said...

Great backgrounds, Julia! Your inking is so smooth! I had trouble getting the ink to lift sometimes. Thanks for sharing all your techniques and findings with each card. All those tips will help with future attempts, my friend.

Lisa Elton said...

Wow, what an incredible line-up of cards! Each one is a lovely as the next, Julia!

Susan said...

I agree that your first card is the best - love those colours and those flowers. Also love those abstract flowers in the second card. Thanks for all the hints and tips you give in your post!

Brenda in IN said...

What a beautiful array of cards you made with this technique. I love the stamp on the first card and all the blended colors you used are lovely. I think it's easier to lift some colors but not all. Bonnie's way of embossing first, then inking is a good idea.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Fabulous set with that lift technique, Julia - especially love the second one with the modern leaves!!

Papercraft Boutique said...

All these ink blended cards are gorgeous, Julia! It's wonderful that you made them in different styles. I especially love the second one (my favorite color combo and the cool design of tree images)!
Thanks for sharing your learnings and tips! They'll be very helpful when I try out this technique!
Hideko xx