Friday, February 19, 2016

Tim Holtz Feb 2016 Tag

Well, more than half of this short month of February is past - so I thought I'd better get shaking on making my Feb Tim's Tag!  I love both of the techniques he has reintroduced - Monoprint from his June 2014 tag and Embossed Texture Paste from his March 2015 tag.
See his instructions here and this is a photo of Tim's Tag.
Since Valentine's day is long gone  - I decided to use an Easter theme for my tag.  For the monoprint background - I first sprayed my tag with Antique Linen Spray Stain and water - then dried it with my heat tool. 
I used the Blossom Stencil with Mowed Lawn, Salty Ocean and Shabby Shutters Distress inks rubbed on the back of the stencil - spritzed with water - then pressed onto the tag.  I used the same Blossom stencil for the Embossed Texture Paste technique using Wendy Vecchi White Embossing Paste and Ranger Gold Embossing Powder.  I rubbed a little Frayed Burlap Ink through the Burlap Stencil along the left side of my tag. I thought it might give the illusion of a woven basket.
For my bunny, I used Tim's Rust Effect Technique (found on page 44 of Vol III Compendium of Curiosities) I took a piece of mat board and  covered it with Cracked Pistachio and Weathered Wood Distress Paints, dried it with my heat tool, then rubbed Antiqued Bronze Distress paint to cover the panel - immediately spritzing it with water and then pressing a paper towel over it and removing it quickly.  I die cut the bunny and bow from Movers and Shapers Mini Bunny and Bow.  For the eggs, I used the Sized Ovals - Medium and Small dies cutting them out of mat board.  I rubbed Salty Ocean on the small one and Mowed Lawn on the medium one - flicking water on them to create water spots and drying with my heat tool.  I sponged the edges of the eggs with Distress Ground Espresso ink. 
For a little dimensional decoration - I die cut 3 small butterflies (Movers and Shapers Small - heart, butterfly and star) out of the same colored mat board I used for the bunny, folded their wings up gently and adhered them just along the middle body to my tag.  
I added some Small Talk/Occasion stickers that I cut and sanded as well as a Vial Label with a Bontanical Remnant rub on it.  I colored the Crinkle Ribbon with Salty Ocean and Mowed Lawn inks spritzed with water.
I had so much fun playing with these techniques on my bunny tag.  What a great idea Tim had to revisit and revise techniques from past tags for 2016!
Paper:  #8 Manilla Tag - Ranger, True Black - PTI, Little Sizzles Matboard - Sizzix
Ink:  Ranger Distress Mowed Lawn, Salty Ocean, Shabby Shutters, Ground Espresso, Frayed Burlap
Accessories:  Blossom and Burlap Stencils - Tim Holtz, Movers and Shapers dies - Small/Butterfly and Mini Bunny and Row, Ranger Distress Paints - Cracked Pistachio, Weathered Wood, Antiqued Bronze, Antique Linen Ranger Distress Stain, Idea-ology - Vial Labels, Remnant Rubs/Botanicals, Crinkle Ribbon, Small Talk/Occasioins, foam dots, Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive, Wendy Vecchi White Embossing Paste, Ranger Gold Embossing Powder, Tiny Twinkles - Taylored Expressions.

11 comments:

Marybeth said...

Love the golden butterflies and pretty bunny! Gorgeous tag,Julia!

A Pink said...

A lovely take on Tims tag! Julia good luck x

Anonymous said...

So cute!!!

Jenny Marples said...

Oh gosh that's fun Julia! Love this version! Jenny x

Loll said...

Love the layers of goodness and saturated colours on this awesome tag Julia! xx

Pamellia said...

Oh my gosh Julia, this is amazing!! I love that you took the Easter route for this tag. Your bunny and egg are just so much fun! Great take on the original. hugs :)

Kim Heggins said...

Love your beautiful Easter tag!

sarascloset said...

Julia, your tag is one of my favorites and I love that you went with a Easter theme--one I struggle with. I tried using that blossom stencil several times, before giving up and going with my tag. Great colors and fabulous eggs! Love it! Pinned! Hugs!

Redanne said...

Oh I love your tag Julia, the colours and theme are wonderful! I think the stencilling does have a 'basket' look too - very clever! I really must get mine done..... Hugs, Anne xx

Lee-Anne said...

Love this! Wonderful to see an Easter design! Love the marbled bunny and the butterflies that look like they're about to fly off the tag :)

Lucy said...

I just saw your tag, I'm trying to make an Easter tag as well. I'm a little artistically delayed in terms of using stencils so it's not working great yet, but your tag is a real inspiration. Very nice.