Wednesday, February 17, 2016

PTI Make it Monday - Customize Patterned Paper

I'm joining along in this week's PTI Make It Monday Challenge -  Lizzie Jones is showing us how Customize Patterned Paper - by adding colors or lines.
So I'm looking through all of my PTI patterned papers and I came upon this piece of red with a white grid-like pattern on it from the Nostalgic Notions Patterned Paper Collection. It already had a busy pattern on it but it was just red and white -  I wondered what it would look like if I drew thin black lines diagonally from one top corner to the opposite bottom corner and then from the other top corner to the opposite corner - and here is how it came out!  Pretty COOL huh?! 
I used an S fine point Black PTT Artist Pen by Faber Castell with a ruler and just drew the lines - the white pattern helped me stay even - I didn't want to measure anything -  I just eyeballed it so the spaces between the black lines aren't all the same - but I think it came out great -  It made the paper look really masculine.
I cut the paper into two pieces - and then cut off a little more from the bigger piece to make a space for the sentiment.  I die cut the thank you out of black cardstock and glued it to the top panel.  The red panels are up on foam dots so the stamped sentiment (from Birthday Cheer) is recessed. Then I added 3 black rhinestones to draw the eye around the card.

I'll be looking at all of my patterned papers with a new eye from now on to see how I can make them pop in a new way!

We have until Monday 6 am EST Feb 22nd to enter the challenge - a random winner will get a $25 PTI gift Certificate!
Stamps:  Birthday Cheer - PTI
Paper:  White, True Black, Nostalgic Notions Paper Collection - PTI
Ink:  True Black - PTI
Accessories:  Wonderful Words Thankyou die - PTI, black rhinestones - Kaiser, foam dots, PTT Black Artist Pen S - Faber Castell, Fine Tip Glue Pen - SU

15 comments:

Jeni Jenne said...

Fabulous card! I was just in MA this past weekend;) My husband and I were in Boston (our daughter goes to Boston University) during one of the coldest days! There was a wind chill of -24! Now that is ridiculous!
Your card is really creative and the thin black lines which are perfectly drawn really do add a pop for this card!

Birgit said...

this looks great! The black stripes really add visual interest to this printed paper. Love it!

Samra said...

What a great masculine card Julia! Love what you did with the patterned paper and the design. So simple, yet so striking! Very handsome card :)
Hugs


Samra
Paper Talk with Samra

Luanne said...

Delightful! I love the red, white, and black color combination too. Awesome card!

Nancy Penir said...

Looks like the patterned paper came that way! So perfectly done, Julia. Gorgeous for a man or woman!

Marcia Hill said...

I love the look you created just using a black pen on this patterned paper...what a change just a few lines made!! Great card!! :0)

Unknown said...

Love how your paper turned out. It really looks like that should be the pattern. With the busy paper I really like the simple layout and design. Super cute!!!

Loll said...

So clever to make your own background paper. This is awesome with the black lines added. And I love the design with the split for the sentiment. Need to CASE this awesome design! xx

Linda said...

The black lines look like part of the pattern. Great job.

Deb said...

Great job Julia, I never would have known the black lines weren't part of the original patterned paper, they look fabulous! Deb xo

paperkicks said...

The black lines you added do enhance the patterned paper. Lovely card!

Diana K said...

Love how you transformed your paper. What a totally fabulous card!

Betty Wright said...

This is fantastic, Julia! The custom pattern is really striking! Great card!

Kim Heggins said...

Fabulous paper...love your creation.

Kristii said...

What a great take on the challenge! Fabulous!!