Monday, February 1, 2016

Mixed Media Card Challenge - Feb 2016 - Red - Optional: Hearts

It's the first day of the month - and time for the February Mixed Media Card Challenge!  The challenge this month is Red - Optional elements: Hearts - just in time for Valentine's Day - although as you can see in the inspiration photo - it doesn't have to be for Valentines!
I'm making Valentines to sell at my church next week - so I did go with the Valentine Heart theme for my card.  My card is larger -  6 1/4" "x 6 1/4" to accommodate this lovely Heart and Flowers Stencil from Stencil Girl.  First, I stenciled on a panel of white card stock using the  Wendy Vecchi Check Mate Stencil with Wendy Vecchi Geranium Ink,  Then I laid the heart stencil over the panel and went over it with Wendy Vecchi White Embossing Paste.  I doodled a dotted line around the heart to more clearly define it using a black Stabilo pencil.
I used Tim Holtz Movers and Shapers Mini Lovestruck dies to cut the cupid and heart out of red Kraft Core Cordinations papers.  I lightly sanded them after cutting to reveal some of the kraft core.  I glued the heart to cupids hands and layered them over the  embossed heart with foam dots.  I stamped the sentiment directly onto the panel.
Since my card is oversized - instead of making it a card that opened - I made it an easel card that will stand up for display by adding a die cut easel on the back.  I also die cut a tag and adhered it to the back so the giver could write something to the receiver.   The to: and from: are from Tag Collection 1 by Waltzingmouse.  I looped some Maraschino twine through the hole and adhered the tag with foam dots.
You'll find the Mixed Media Card Challenge and link up here.  You will also find lots of inspiration from the rest of the very talented Design Team there!
Stamps:  Crazy Talk - Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous, Tag Collection 1 - Waltzingmouse
Paper:  White, True Black - PTI, reds - Kraft Core Coredinations.
Ink:  Wendy Vecchi Archival Geranium Red, Archival Jet Black, True Black - PTI
Accessories:  Heart Grid Stencil - Stencil Girl, Check Mate Stencil - Wendy Vecchi/Stampers Anonymous, Dies - Movers and Shapers Mini Lovestruck and Small Easel Die - Tim Holtz/Alterations, Tage Sale #2 - PTI, mini sander - Ranger, Palette Knife, Black Stabilo Pencil, foam dots, Maraschino twine - The Twinery, red rhinestones - Kaiser Craft, white embossing paste - Wendy Vecchi.

10 comments:

Lee-Anne said...

Love the look of the stencilled heart over the graphic paper! And of course, the little cupid completes this beautiful valentine! I have no doubt your card sale will go well, Julia!

Words and Pictures said...

Just love how that stencilled heart appears to be cracking up - and it works brilliantly over the patterned paper - fabulous! Good luck with the card sale - I'm sure you'll do well.
Alison xx

Brenda Brown said...

A fabulous design and wonderful crackled heart Julia and I love that it stands rather than opens. Good luck with the sale.
hugs Brenda xxx

Redanne said...

I love cards that are a bit 'different' so the easel really appeals to me. The check background looks beautiful under the crackled heart and the little cherub holding the heart is a delight - I hope you did lots for the sale, you are going to need them! Hugs, Anne xx

Annette Allen said...

this is so awesome.. I love that big heart..

Loll said...

LOVE that checkerboard design behind the pretty paste embossed heart. How cool is that stencil??!! I always have bleed from my inks through to the white embossing paste ... but I see yours didn't do that. Is Wendy's ink permanent? Guess I could look that up. :)

Great design, love the easel back and tag included. xx

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous Valentine Julia! Love the stenciled heart and sweet cupid!

Pamellia said...

Fabulous card Julia! I love the checkerboard background and the semi transparent heart design over top. Very lovely. hugs :)

Deb said...

Wonderful Julia, great idea to make it into an easel card and love the heart! Deb xo

Grá O'Neill said...

Beautiful card, great idea to put the tag on the back :)