Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Courage with Faux Patina

My goodness - what a fun Try a New Technique challenge we had over at Split Coast this week!  Faux Patina!! Have you tried this before???

Here's how I made mine based on Judy Rozema's instructions for the challenge.   It looks like a lot of work - but it doesn't take much time at all.  I listed the colors that I used - but you can use any combination you want!

1. I ran my River Rock ink pad over the inside cover of my Patchwork embossing folder, inserted my white card stock panel and embossed it.  This colors the background of the embossed panel and not the pushed up parts (clean the ink off your folder as soon as you emboss the paper).

2. Next I sponged Taken With Teal Ink over the embossed panel.

3. Then I sponged Always Artichoke over the embossed panel.  

Sponging with all these colors gives a wonderful mix of color -  you can see how it mixes as you go along so you can sponge more or less depending on how you want it to look!

5. I lightly brushed my embossing ink pad (Versamark)  over the raised areas of the embossed panel, then I sprinkled the panel with gold embossing powder (you can use any color metallic embossing powder you want to).  It will probably stick to most of the card - so brush off most of it with a cloth or brush (you only want the gold here and there) then emboss it with your hot gun.

and you have a lovely faux patina!   

My Rubbernecker sentiment says "Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow". "   I gold embossed it on a piece of Ocean Tide card stock, cut it with a rectangle Nestability, sponged the edges with Bundled Sage before taking it out of the die and layered it to a gold card stock panel.   The crown is from Heart & Wings Tim Holtz die.  I buy my pretty wrinkled seam tape from Prairie Bird Boutique Etsy shop.

Thanks for stopping by today!


Stamps: Rubbernecker - Courage #582-13

Paper: White, Vintage Cream, Ocean Tide - PTI, Gold paper from my stash
Ink: versamark, River Rock, Taken with Teal, Always Artichoke - SU, Ranger Distress Bundled Sage.
Accessories: Rectangle Nestability, crown from Heart Wings Sizzix Tim Holtz Alterations die, gold embossing powder, patchwork embossing folder - Tim Holz Sizzix, Wrinkled Seam tape - Prairie Bird Boutique Etsy Shop, hot gun, foam tape

14 comments:

Annette Allen said...

wow wee I am so impressed right now...this is so amazing...love this

anya said...

Julia, this is fantastic! What a fab technique, it looks so awesome! Great embossing folder to use for this, too. Love it!

Pauline said...

This is a great technique, and one you have carried off to perfection! A love.y card Julia!

Elizabeth Cooper said...

What a fun technique! I'm adding this to my list of things to try this week. :-) I love your card! So, so pretty!

LeAnne said...

Wow, this is GORGEOUS!

scrappymo! said...

Oh my gosh...this is gorgeous. Thanks for the clear directions...I think even I could try this...you make it sound possible!
Beautiful card.

Jeanne J. said...

Wow this turned out great Julia - I will have to give this a try. You made it sound simple and the results are fantastic. I love the gold you added to this - but then I'm such a magpie when it comes to shiny things!

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous card Julia! Love the Vintage vibe and the beautifully embossed background! STUNNING!

Clare said...

Just beautiful. Loving the sound of this technique.

Judy Rozema said...

Really love how this turned out!

Jodi Collins said...

How GORGEOUS! What a stunning technique!!!

Joan Ervin said...

This turned out fabulous, Julia....the colors are sooo regal and rich and I love the embossing folder you used!!!!

Basslady said...

this card is such a masterpiece!

awesome and totally striking!

hugs and kisses from germany,
silvi xoxo

Shari said...

Awesome card, love the technique! Thanks for sharing...