Friday, November 4, 2011

WMS November SoAP - Day 4 - Everything Christmas

Welcome to the final day of the Waltzingmouse November Stamp of Approval Parade (SoAP)!  I'm sure you've gotten a lot of good ideas for Christmas creations over the past 3 days - I know I have!

As usual - on the last day of our parade - we announce a CASE competition - see all the details at the end of this post!

Today I found inspiration in my Pottery Barn Catalogue with this festive 'Santa and his reindeer' pillow. 

Claire's Twas the Night Before Christmas set has the perfect images to recreate this pillow.  

First I stamped the background story image on my red panel with gray ink so it's there but just subtly.  Then I dry embossed a mega rectangle Nestability in the center of the stamping. I tied twine and a little jingle bell around the panel.   I stamped Santa and his sleigh on a Rustic Cream panel, cut it with a mega rectangle, and adhered it inside the frame using foam tape.  Inside I stamped 'Believe in the Magic' from the same stamp set.
My last inspiration for the SoAP, was again from a Pottery Barn Catalogue -  these simple brown paper wrapped boxes caught my eye!  Particularly the lighter text panel wrapped around the middle of the larger box!
I made my box out of kraft card stock using a tutorial on Split Coast.  It's an A2 card box - which means cards will fit nicely inside!  Here are 3 views of my box.  I cut panels of patterned paper for the top and sides of the cover and sponged all the edges with Tea Dye Ink.
 I tied the box with a simple narrow velvet ribbon from Michaels.

For the text panel -  I cut a piece of brown packing paper 14" x 4" (the paper came in something I ordered!)  I stamped the "A Visit from St. Nicholas' story stamp from Twas the night before Christmas set 3 times on the strip.  Then I sponged the edges with Tea Dye Ranger Distress ink.  I wrapped it around the box and adhere it to itself where it overlapped in the back. You can see I did not try to get the wrinkles out of the paper - I did smooth it with my hand to stamp it, but didn't iron it smooth!

 Here's a close up of the tag which fits the Labels 14 Nestabilities.

 And here are the 6 simple Thank You cards I made to tuck inside the box with envelopes.  I just adhered panels of patterned paper to Kraft cards and stamped Thank You from Say it Loud with black ink.  I thought Thank You cards would be a nice little gift at Christmastime - we all receive gifts or go to parties during the season that require a little note of thanks back to the giver.  But this box is also perfect for gifts of cookies, tea, candy or even a gift card!

 Here's a view of the bottom of the box.
 
 The ribbon and text panel will slide right off the box without damaging it so it can be kept for another purpose after the cards are used up!
I hope you have been inspired by my 'catalogue' inspirations these past 4 days -  remember to check out your catalogues when you need a card or craft idea!

So let's go see the rest of today's final parade on the blogs of the Design Team who are participating!

Anya Schrier
Becca Feeken
Clare Buswell
Julia Aston - you're here!
Jennifer Holmes
Kate Whelan
Kelly Schirmer
Laurie Schmidlin
Lynn Mercurio
Mona Pendleton
Sandie Dunne
Tosha Leyendekker
Claire Brennan (Owner)

INFO ON THE COMPETITION:
We hope that you have enjoyed, and been inspired, by our Stamp of Approval Parade; highlighting Claire's lovely Christmas and holiday sets. Now it’s time for you to get your craftiness on as we invite you to participate in a CASE (Copy and Share Everything) competition.

Find a card or project from any of the projects posted over the past few days by the WMS Design Team, CASE that project using Waltzingmouse Stamp images, and link it using the Inlinkz on Claire’s blog.  At the end of the competition, one project will be randomly selected to be highlighted with a Parade of its own on several of the Design Team blogs. 


You have one week to complete and link your project

The competition will close at 8:00 AM Claire’s time on November 10th, which is 3 AM Eastern, 2 AM Central and Midnight, Pacific time. The winner will be announced on Claire’s blog on November 11th.

A Visit from St. Nick:
Stamps:  Waltzingmouse - Twas the Night Before Christmas
Paper:  Pure Poppy, Rustic Cream - PTI
Ink:  Palette L'Amore Red, Memento London Fog
Accessories:  jingle bell from bell wreath kit - Michaels, Mandarin Bakers Twine - the Twinery, foam tape, Mega Rectangle Nestabilities.

Wrapped Card Box:
Stamps: Waltzingmouse - Twas the Night Before Christmas, Say It Loud
Paper: Kraft, Text Style Holiday Cheer - PTI
Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black, Bamboo Leaves, Ranger Distress Tea Dye.
Accessories:  Velvet Ribbon - Michaels, Labels 14 Nestabilities, Cappuchino Baker's Twine - The Twinery

20 comments:

Pauline said...

These are all beautiful Julia, but I love your Kraft box package, such wonderful stamping and inking. A gorgeous set of cards too, they would make a lovely gift.

Susan said...

I have really appreciated your tips on looking for inspiration in various places. I just love the way you translated these inspiration pieces into your amazing cards. Love the box with the thank you cards -- such a thoughtful idea.

Sandie said...

Oh my! this is a post full of amazing inspiration. Love your take on your inspirational finds. I really want that reindeer pillow now, lol.xx

Clare said...

Love the brown paper packing! Gorgeous creations!

Ellen Jarvis said...

Fabulous work, Julia! I hope to find time to participate in the challenge ... if I can pick myself up off the floor after being STUNNED how beautiful the DT's projects are in this SOAP. Thank you, thank you for your participation in the team.

Fondly,
Ellen ♥ CardMonkey
http://cardmonkey-business.blogspot.com
E-mail: cardmonkey@comcast.net

Kelly S. said...

Ohh I was getting excited to see what inspiration photos you might choose today, and you did not disappoint! That is such a lovely and elegant card set and the box is amazing, too! Love how you used the Twas the Night Before Christmas set...I totally need that one now!

Lynn Mercurio said...

I'm so loving your inspiration theme this month and today's projects are an inspiration to me! Such wonderful projects and packaging...it's what makes an ordinary gift EXTRAordinary. Fabulous job...and thanks for all of your inspiration this entire week!

snowbear said...

You did such a great job matching your inspiration!

Mona Pendleton said...

What an amazing collection of projects Julia! Love how you used the Night Before Christmas ~ thanks for the inspiration! You are on fire!

Annette Allen said...

wow these are all amazing.. I would so love to get a gift wrapped like that...great job.

Anonymous said...

So very beautiful Julia! I especially love the craft paper box and the cards and label!! Love , love, love the color choices! Kim Walker

Becca Feeken said...

I love how you tailor your gifts around inspiration. All I can say is that every time you are "spot on"!! These are beautiful and vintage-y looking gifts, I especially love the gift wrap!!

Jen Cuthbertson said...

I adore that kraft box with the notecards and the stamped wrapper you made is wonderful!!

Riet said...

This is so beautiful Julia.

Hugs Riet.xx

Renee said...

I have loved each and every one of your catalog inspired projects...
including this one...
just gorgeous!!
So many incredible gift and card ideas...
I'm ready to dig in and get started!

Joanne (jojot) said...

fabulous gift set....and wonderful inspiration

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Julia,
What wonderful ideas - all week! I love the box and the cards. Using the poem on that wonderful kraft-type paper is a really nice effect!

Your work is INSPIRING as always!
Hugs!

Velta said...

Hi Julia ~ Sorry I haven't been around, I have been caught up in DT work! Your art work is just beautiful and I love these last two posts! Thank you for your inspiration, as always, you are, just that, an inspiration!

anya said...

Amazing, as always, Julia! I love that you have shared your inspiration pictures with us as well. The brown paper package is such a great gift idea!

Deborah Frings said...

Julia - I really like the way you've interpreted all the inspriation images you've used. I love the gift box with thank you card - a super gift for Christmas (and one I may well borrow)!