Tuesday, February 28, 2023

February Group of Seven Cardmakers: Technique - Resist Debossed Background

It's time for the February Group of Seven Cardmakers post, playing with the Resist Debossed Background technique. 

Our group met for a zoom call in early February to try out a recent video tutorial from Splitcoaststampers (created by Anna-Karin Evaldsson).  

I love how this came out and I think blues and browns are my favorite colors to use with this technique!

So, basically, you lightly run a Versamark ink pad over the raised, inside, back of your embossing folder. (3D embossing folders seem to work best because they give a deeper impression).  

Take a piece of water color paper (or any water friendly paper like Mixed Media), rub over the paper with an Embossing Buddy (powder), put it in the embossing folder powder side down (over the Versamark inked side) and run it through your machine.

Take the panel out and cover the back side (the debossed side with the Versamark ink on it) with white embossing powder.  If the powder sticks to too much of your panel background, you can brush some off gently with a paint brush.  You want the powder to be on the design which is 'debossed' since you are using the back of your panel.

Then heat emboss the panel.  

To add color to the parts not white embossed on my panel, I pulled out two Distress Inks - Tumbled Glass and Frayed Burlap and two Distress Oxide Inks Salvaged Patina and Walnut Stain (DOX inks leave a darker color than the regular Distress inks).  You want to use water based inks.  I rubbed the inks (one at a time and do the Distress first, then the DOX since they are darker) onto my craft mat, spritzed with water and then pressed the panel randomly into the ink, then looking where there were open spaces and pressing that section into the ink.  

Notes: 

1.  You can just use one or two water based inks. 

2.  You should try several different embossing folders, as some work well and some not so well?!


A close up:
I added the die cut sentiment and some enamel dots to the panel.

I made a second card (below) using the same technique, embossing folder, white embossing powder and inks - and you can see it looks very different.  

The white embossing powder stuck to more of the card rather than just the debossed image and so just small bits of the panel absorbed the smooshed inks. (I didn't brush off the excess white powder on the flat bits!)  But it still makes for a pretty and interesting background I think?!

I'm linking my birthday card to:



Three more cards I made using this technique.
Embossing folder:  Tree Rings - Tim Holtz/Sizzix.  White Embossing Powder/Distress Oxide Vintage Photo Ink.  The bird is Feathered Friends Thinlit dies - Tim Holtz/Sizzix covered with strips of DP.

I'm linking my tree ring card to:

anything embossed - optional things with wings


Embossing Folder:  Vintage Button - Eileen Hull/Sizzix.  White Embossing Powder, Distress Tumbled Glass and Frayed Burlap Inks.  The horse is an old wooden stamp by Judith, colored with markers.

I'm linking my Baby card to:
Feb - anything stamped


Embossing Folder: Circuit - Tim Holtz/Sizzix.  White Embossing Powder/Distress Lost Shadow Ink. Die: Voltage Bigz Die - Tim Holtz/Sizzix

I'm linking my voltage card to:

First time using both the circuit Emb Folder and the Voltage Die


For the full tutorial of this Resist Debossed Background and inspiring samples from the rest of the Seven Cardmakers, please pop over to the Group of Seven Cardmakers Blog.

We post a new technique on the 28th of each month that we hope will inspire you to try it out as well!

  We've added a Mr. Linky to the post - so you can link up your creations if you try this technique -  It's not a challenge, just a place you can put your card so everyone can see it and be inspired! 



Birthday Card
Paper:  Water color - Canson Cold Press, Tropical Teal - Papertrey Ink.
Ink:  Ranger Distress Tumbled Glass, Frayed Burlap, Ranger Distress Oxide Ink Salvaged Patina, Walnut Stain, Versamark.
Accessories:  Gracious Leaves Embossing Folder - Memory Box, white embossing powder, heat tool, water mister, craft mat, Happy Birthday Die - Simon Says Stamp, Happy Birthday Poe Script Die - Poppy Stamps, Enamel Dots - Altenew.

16 comments:

Loll said...

Amazing cards , Julia! Thanks so much for leading our Group of Seven with this fun technique! I love the versatility of this technique ... which you have shown with your fabulous cards. xx

nancy littrell said...

Thank you Julia for sharing your Resist Debossed mixed media technique as the host for this new GO7 technique..Loved all your cards, but especially your 1st card. I so appreciate your very detailed description and the SCS video for the technique. I Love your colors and 3D folder on your 1st card. I will be thinking of you when I try this really beautiful and artsy mixed media technique:-) Love and Hugs..Nancy

HilaryJane said...

What a wonderful collection of cards using this technique. such great inspiration, thank you. I think the first one is my favourite xx

Bobby said...

They all look so different but so artsy, Julia. You had great folders to use for the technique.

Bonnie said...

Thank you for sharing this fun technique with us, Julia! It was fun to see how all of our cards turned out. I love the colors on the first two and the other three turned out just as good but look very different!

Lisa Elton said...

Wow, you were on a roll and each one is as fabulous as the next!

Darnell said...

I love these colors, too, sis, and love how even with the same colors, using different e/fs totally changes the look and feel. All your creations using this technique turned out brilliantly, and what great additions they are to your stash! Hugs, Darnell

brenda said...

You have been busy and the baby card for We Love Stamping is very cute, many thanks for joining our February challenge.

B x

Melanie Hungerford said...

Gorgeous cards, what a wonderful technique and great use for embossing folders. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Can You Handle the Pressure!

Susan said...

All your cards turned out so well, Julia, but I especially love the first one. The blues and browns in it are wonderful together. I'm so glad you came across this technique as I've ended up with quite a few great backgrounds to turn into cards.

Diane said...

Wow, all are creatively beautiful, what a fun and great technique!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Can You Handle The Pressure!
Diane CYHTP Co-Owner
{Nellies Nest}
{Can You Handle The Pressure}
{Triple B} NEW March 3rd
{Stencil Fun}

Brenda in IN said...

Thanks for sharing this with us, Julia. Your cards are wonderful and you inspire me with these examples.

Ashwini Rao said...

What a wonderful technique and what amazing results! I do love the look of the cards - they have such superb backgrounds, not much to do except add the sentiment! Something I'll definitely be trying myself! Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Seize the Birthday challenge!

Papercraft Boutique said...

These cards are all fantastic, Julia! The color combo (blues and browns) is so beautiful, and I love the artsy backgrounds! Your cards show the versatility of the technique with different embossing folders and inks used.
Thanks so much for sharing this fun technique with us! I can't wait to try it.
Hideko xx

Christine Alexander said...

Julie this was such a fun technique. You have a great selection of very cool EF's. I think the baby one is my favorite the buttons match perfectly with your little push toy ♥

Robyn Oliver said...

You've certainly inspired me Julia, with your wonderful selection of cards using this creative technique....love using my Embossing Folders, cheers Robyn