Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Group of Seven Cardmakers - May 2024 Bokeh Technique

 This month, the Group of 7 Cardmakers are working with the Bokeh technique.

There is a link to a YouTube video on this technique as well as written instructions and supply list over at the G07 blog.

Here are two cards I created with my Bokeh backgrounds.

The beautiful trees are a stamp called Forest Scene from Lavinia.

Here is my second card using the same colors on my 2nd panel.  The stamps used here are Tall Dandelion (the stem is really straight on the stamp but I bent it a bit to turn into the center of the card) and Drooping Dandelion also from Lavinia.  I added White Nuvo drops to the dandelion bits.
Here is how I made my cards.
I chose 3 Distress Inks - Mermaid Lagoon, Twisted Cintron and Hickory Smoke.  I smooshed them on my craft mat (one color at a time going light to dark), spritzed with water and pressed a panel of white card stock into the colors.  I kept inking and smooshing until I got a coverage that I liked.  I made two panels in case I ruined one later!  Luckily both survived and I made two cards!

I put double sided removable tape on the back of my panel to hold it down on my glass mat, laid my White Orbs stencil from Lavinia over the panel and taped the edges to hold it.
I took a finger sponge, inked it on a White Pigment ink pad and then dabbed it over random circles.  My stencil was already a mix of big and small circles so I didn't have to move it around.  

Below are my two finished panels.  You can see that even though I used the same inks for smooshing- they look quite different.

NOTE:   I have to confess -  I hadn't gone back to the group instructions after reading it once - and I forgot the part about overlapping some of your circles to make it look more mystical -  probably because my stencil had all the different size circles and I didn't have to move it at all (that's my excuse anyway!)  -  so consider my cards as examples of how it looks if you don't overlap the circles!!??!!  I was afraid to go back when I was done - and try to overlap some -  we all know what happens when you try to fix or add something right??!

I also didn't really achieve darker white on small circles and lighter white on big circles although I tried!  My first panel may be better than the 2nd on this point.

So please check out the rest of the G07's beautiful Bokeh cards over at the Group of Seven Blog.  We hope to inspire you to try it out if you haven't yet, or even play with it again if you have!  You can link up your cards there so we can all see! 


I'm linking my dandelion card to:

first time using the Tall Dandelion stamp

Girly theme -  Flowers  Ends 5/31

Polka Dots ends 6/2



Stamps:  Forest Scene, Tall Dandelion, Drooping Dandelion - Lavinia, Birthday Basics - PTI, Simple Strips - Sympathy - Taylored Expressions.
Paper:  White - PTI, Easter Grass - Bazzill.
Ink:  Twisted Cintron, Mermaid Lagoon, Hickory Smoke - Ranger Distress, White Pigment - Hampton Arts, Nocturne - Versafine Clair.
Accessories:  White Orbs Stencil - Lavinia, A2 Arches - The Greetery, Gloss Simply White Nuvo Drops, Simple Strips flag end and straight end dies - Taylored Expressions.

10 comments:

Darnell said...

Great post about the process, sis! I forgot that bit, too, and did go back and double a few of them, but not many because it made me too nervous! Whether overlapping or not, I love the extra interest it adds to the backgrounds and I love your finished creations with the domes and the dark silhouettes! Hugs, Darnell

Bonnie said...

These trees are fantastic against your bokeh background, Julia! Love your background colors with the different size circles. Those dandelions are awesome with the graceful curves and white drops!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Gorgeous backgrounds with the bokeh, Julia, and I love how you finished them off!!

Christine Alexander said...

I love how you used the arch die, it really gives a beautiful frame. Stamping after adding the white circles really makes the image stand out. this was a great technique :)

Lisa Elton said...

Who needs the overlapping with results as pretty as these!

Susan said...

Even without overlapping circles, you created beautiful backgrounds! Love the arched focal panels. Great choice of both the dandelions and the trees.

Loll said...

LOVE the colours of your backgrounds, Julia. The stenciled circles add so much over top. And gorgeous stamped images too! I love the look of your cards whether you overlapped the circles or not. The stenciling adds a lovely, dreamy look. xx

Pat said...

Two beautiful backgrounds Julia and I love the arched shapes you cut from them and the added Lavinia stamps looks so pretty over the top, and the white bokeh circles look really effective. x

Brenda in IN said...

This technique made a wonderful sympathy card with that soft background. I love the tall trees. The arched card is fun and makes me want to blow those fuzzies all over!

Donna Phelan said...

Loving the look of your Bokeh Technique, so cool! I also loved your shaped Happy Birthday card, amazing! Great colors too! Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Double D, Polka Dot Challenge. Donna, DT Member.