Sunday, May 28, 2023

Group of Seven Cardmakers - May Technique - Ink Blending on Colored Card

 The May Group of Seven Cardmakers post is up!  This month Loll has chosen the technique for us to play with -  Ink Blending on Colored Card.  You'll find full instructions as well as a link to a YouTube Video over on the blog.

I found that I had to try a lot of different outline images to find ones that worked the best.  I also tried light and dark colors of card stock - and found the lighter colors worked best as we then blend darker ink over the panel and blend around the outside edges with black ink.  If your base card is too dark - the blended ink won't show up.

My first two samples (these are actually my 3rd and 4th try with the technique!) are the same image, embossed in gold on Hawaiian Shores cardstock (a light tealy/blue).  I sponged over the panel with a darker blue, starting from the outside edges up to, but not over, the embossing.  Then I sponged just over the edges of the panel with black ink.  I splattered white with a POSCA pen, embossed the sentiment in white on a black strip and adhered it over the card with foam dots.  You also can splatter with water but I didn't do that on any of my cards today.

Here's the exact same embossed stamping on the exact same Hawaiian Shores card panel and sponged with the same inks as above.  This time I sponged more over the embossed flowers (not on purpose!) so there's just a small bit of light in the center.  I sponged around the edge with black, splattered white with a POSCA pen, and this time, gold embossed the sentiment on a black strip.

This card below was the first card I tried with the technique - the base is a a light yellow, but as you can see, I sponged entirely too much Russet Orange over the gold embossed image so there is hardly any noticeable lightness in the center!  I sponged black around the edges, splattered with a white POSCA pen, layered it over a metallic gold panel and layered that over a Hammered white panel with foam dots.

This was my second attempt at the technique.  I started with a light pink panel, embossed the image in gold, and then sponged with a darker pink inside the rose by mistake (!) and also around the edges, totally forgetting the black!  I splattered this one with Metallic Gold water color paint. 


So - you don't have to follow the instructions exactly if you don't want to! 
The point is to experiment with the technique!

You'll find full instructions, inspiration from the rest of the team and a link to the video over at The Group Of Seven Cardmakers blog here.  

We invite you to try this fun technique for yourselves and you can link your card over at the blog just so everyone can come and see them!

I'm linking my sympathy card to:
Inspired by Nature

Linking my Birthday card to:

Keep it Simple
easy to make - emboss image, sponge, layer to panels

Anything stamped - In the Garden option
Gold embossed stamped flower




Sympathy Cards
Stamps:  Layered Poppy Stamp - Rubbernecker, sentiment from Beyond Basic Borders - PTI (retired).
Paper:  Hawaiian Shores, True Black - PTI
Ink:  Blue Lagoon Elements - Lavinia, Nocturne Versafine Clair, Versamark
Accessories:  White POSCA Pen, foam dots, Gold Embossing Powder, heat tool, sponges.

Sunflower Birthday
Stamps: Botanical Blocks, Birthday Basics - PTI 
Paper:  Harvest Gold - PTI, Kraft Stock Gold - Tim Holtz/Idea-ology, Hammered White card - Amazon.
Ink:  Russet Orange - Elements Lavinia, Versafine Clair Nocturne, Versamark.
Accessories:  Gold Embossing Powder, Heat Tool, foam strips, white POSCA Pen, sponges.

Rose Birthday
Stamps:  Botanical Blocks, Birthday Basics - PTI
Paper:  Pale Peony - PTI, Kraft Stock Gold - Tim Holtz/Idea-ology, Hammered white card - Amazon.
Ink:  Picked Raspberry - Ranger Distress, Versamark, Versafine Clair Nocturne.
Accessories:  Gold Embossing Powder, Heat Tool, foam strips, Metallic Gold Watercolor paint for splatter, sponges.

13 comments:

Loll said...

All of your cards are so beautiful, Julia! The first couple of cards you made without the black are gorgeous ... and so says it has to have black. I did one card without black and was happy with it. Definitely experimenting with colours of card and colours of ink make the technique even more versatile. xx

Christine Alexander said...

they all came out so beautifully Julia, I know what you mean about picking the right colour card stock. Love all your samples ♥

Bonnie said...

Awesome samples of this technique, Julia! I love each of them and think they look awesome without the black! Your experimenting paid off!

Lisa Elton said...

They're all pretty Julia! The final one is my favorite!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

All so beautiful, Julia! My fave is the first one you shared (3rd try) - love the inking, leaving the light blue!!

nancy littrell said...

Four beautiful cards for different occasions using the stamped heat embossing on colored cardstock and then ink blending. I loved how you experimented with different coloring techniques. TFS all 4 of your beauties and your detailed experimenting, Julia. Love and Hugs..Nancy

Brenda in IN said...

I think that's what is so fun about doing these techniques, everyone tries different ways with their cards. I love your second card as my favorite but still love them all.

Sue N said...

Gorgeous cards, Julia! I LOVE the richness of the sunflower card and the flowers on the hawaiian shores cardstock are lovely, too! I need to check my stamps to see what I have that will work for this neat technique! Sue

Darnell said...

I love them all, sis, and I like how you wrote up your post to point out the differences and how the whole point of this particular technique is freedom! You can choose your image, choose your color of card and your color of blending, embossing, and schplattering! I made graduation cards for the boys on white bases and then just lightly sponged their favorite colors around the edges - what an impact! I know it's not a new idea, but for some reason it never stuck to the Velcro (fading) in my brain before. Slap! Hugs, Darnell

ScrappyHorses said...

How lovely is this sympathy card! So beautiful and full of peace; just perfect to convey feelings of comfort. Thanks for sharing with us at Path of Positivity! ~Katrina

HilaryJane said...

Lovely examples of the technique and thanks for sharing your journey making these. I love the glow you get with this technique. It is on my list of things to do. I hope it reaches the top soon. lovely to see you in the we love stamping gallery too xx

Pia S said...

There are some gorgeous cards and interesting techniques used showcased in this post. A great way to use colored cardstock and teaming up with a darker ink, will keep this in mind. I'm so glad to see the pink rose card in the gallery over at Try it on Tuesday, thanks for sharing with us!

Carole J said...

Your teal sympathy card is just beautiful, Julia. The colours are soothing and calming. Thank you so much for joining the May Path of Positivity 'inspired by nature' challenge.
Please visit us again soon.

Carole DT x