Monday, April 26, 2021

Garden Journal Tutorial using Eileen Hull's Sizzix Dies

 Today I have a tutorial for my Garden Theme Passport Journal using Eileen Hull's new Sizzix  Bookbinding and Label die inside a journal made using her older Passport Die!  I posted the journal a few weeks ago for Eileen's Blog Hop.

Here are photos of the finished journal and the pages inside.

Back cover of Journal.
I used beautiful papers called Under the Tuscan Sun by Ciao Bella for my covers and pages.  The daisy is a die from Wild Flower Stems #1 - Tim Holtz/Sizzix, the sentiment is from Tiny Text from Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous and quote stamp is from Stampotique.
The rest of the garden quotes and images are stamps from Stampotique.

I added a little notebook I had in my stash, stenciling it and then adding a die cut Ragged Daisy from Poppy Stamps and sentiment from Tiny Text.
I stenciled the background with Pebble Stencil from Lavinia.


Here's how I put it together
The bookbinding die is a way for you to attach your pages inside a journal.
I die cut the piece and did valley and mountain folds on the scores
I added ScorTape to one side of the 'mountains' then pressed them together to create the bindings.
This is what it looks like - die cut, fan folded and glued.
Flat on the back
I trimmed it down to just 3 ridges to fit the width of the binding in the Passport Journal,
I die cut the pieces of the Passport Die out of Little Sizzles White Matboard - one binding and two covers.  The other piece in the die cuts pages for the journal.
I adhered the binding to the inside center of the journal binding piece.

Here are all the pages cut out using the Passport die.
I then cut another binding out of a lovely piece of black leather and adhered it to the matboard die cut binding lining up the holes in the binding. 
(Sizzix may not carry this anymore but you can find leather on Amazon)
I glued the front and back covers on the inside of the journal binding piece.

Then I glued two pages together around each of the binding ridges.
So there are 3 pages- 6 surfaces.
I held the base of the pages with clothespins to be sure they were adhered to the binding.
As already shown above -  I adhered a little notebook to the inside of the back cover.

I knotted a piece of black round elastic cord, doubled it up and wrapped it around the journal
You can add a pen to either the binding or opening side if you want to keep one handy with the journal.
Please check out Eileen's Blog for more inspiration using her new Chapter 2 Dies!



Garden Theme Journal
Stamps:  Stampotique, Tiny Text - Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous.
Ink:  Obsidian - Altenew, Ranger Distress Twisted Cintron
Paper:  White Little Sizzles Matboard - Sizzix, Kraft cardstock - Papertrey Ink, DP - Under the Tuscan Sun - Ciao Bella.
Accessories:  Bookbinding and Label Die, Passport Die - Eileen Hull/Sizzix, Wildflower Stems #1 - Tim Holtz/Sizzix, Ragged Daisy Die - Poppy Stamps, Pebble Stencil - Lavina, black leather - Sizzix, UltraBond Adhesive - iCraft, Scortape, black elastic cord from stash, floral pen - The Greetery

8 comments:

Vicki Dutcher said...

LOVE THIS!! Awesome tiny notebook. I am inspired :)

Loll said...

AMAZING journal, Julia! LOVE those gorgeous papers you found. Fabulous design and lots of work has gone into making this creative and beautiful journal. Love the step-by-step tutorial! xx

Bonnie said...

WOW! This is awesome, Julia! Love these papers and the fabulous quotes! I am in awe of your precise folds!

Mac Mable said...

Thank you for the step by steps and what a personal and unique passport journal x. Sure has the WOW factor x.

Lisa Hoel said...

so pretty Julia! I love it. =)

eileen hull said...

Julia wow- who knew the book binding die would work in the Passport Book too? So clever! Do you like that UltraBond glue? Gorgeous project!

HilaryJane said...

This is brilliant and thanks for all the detailed instructions. I think a project like this would just overwhelmed me, so I am very impressed xx

jane stillman said...

This is amazing, thank you so much for sharing, and for the instructions x