Monday, March 2, 2020

March CAS Watercolour Card Challenge - Luck of the Irish!

Well -  here it is - March already.  The new CAS Watercolour Card Challenge is up on the blog - and I am the hostess this month!
So I thought we'd honor St. Patrick's Day since it occurs this month on the 17th - and everyone's Irish on St. Paddy's Day right?!    
So my challenge is to use some green, or a rainbow, or something gold!  It doesn't have to say anything about St. Patrick's Day -  just be inspired by it.

I made a 'friend' card that could say Happy St. Patrick's Day inside or it could be a thank you or birthday card!
I made the background by water coloring through a stencil onto a piece of watercolor paper - the more water you use, the more the color bleeds under the stencil.
 And because I'm the hostess this month -  I made another card to share today using the same stamp set I used on my first card.  This one has a familiar Irish Blessing stamped inside the circle.  
I die cut a circle out of a watercolor panel and water colored around the circle with the same watery green used on my first card.  I stamped the sentiment on the circle cut out.  I layered the outside panel onto a white card base with foam dots and then adhered the sentiment inside the circle.  I added a green die cut 4 leaf clover in the middle of the sentiment with a foam dot and covered it with Glossy Accents.   I stamped 2 smaller shamrocks in the corner in green ink and added Glossy Accents over them as well.
So please show us what St. Patrick's Day inspires in you and link up your clean and simple card over at the CAS Watercolour Challenge here.  You'll also find inspiration from the Design team as well as our March Guest Designer - the talented Hannelie (Desert Diva)!!


Stamps:  Irish Blessings - Papertrey Ink
Paper:  White, Pine Feather - PTI, watercolor paper - Canson
Ink: Obsidian, Hunter Green - Altenew
Accessories: Mini Basket Weave Stencil - The Crafters Workshop, green watercolor paint, paint brush, water, Irish Blessings Die - PTI, Lucky Leaves Die - Memory Box, lacey edge die - no brand, Glossy Accents - Ranger.

11 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

Julia, I am not Irish EXCEPT on St. Paddy's Day! What a fun challenge you've given us! Your projects are fun, and fabulous!
=]

Robyn Oliver said...

Two inspirational cards for your Luck of the Irish challenge, Julia...green is not my go to colour so great to be challenged, fabulous cards and lots of great cards from the DT too, hugs Robyn

nancy littrell said...

Love your artsy green watercolored cards for St Patty's Day or greens representing the holiday or other occasion. A fun challenge for March, Julia. TFS and hosting this month. Hugs..Nancy

Christine Alexander said...

Great artsy background Julia, I'm more of a ST David's day fan rather than St Patrick but I do like the green :)

Marcia Hill said...

This was definitely a challenge for me this month Julia, but once I started playing with it, I had a LOT of FUN!! Both of your cards turned out fantastic and are great inspiration for all of us! Thanks for such a wonderful challenge this month!! :0)

Susan said...

Love both cards, Julia. The watercolouring through the stencil turned out so well! Love the sentiment about the good friend on the first card!

My Paper Epiphany said...

I love your artsy green background and the scalloped edges! The second card is beautiful too:)

HilaryJane said...

Love that water colour stencilled background xx

Mac Mable said...

Fabulous water colouring and especially love the looseness of how you did the stencilling on card number one x.

Karen Dunbrook said...

Two great cards for St. Patty's day...so well done.
xx Karen

Brenda in IN said...

What a great effect you got water coloring through the stencil. I love both the Irish sentiments and those glossy four leaf clovers.