Friday, November 23, 2018

Two for Christmas!

I've got two Christmas cards to share today using a lovely new stamp set by Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous called Festive Overlay. (it's on sale today, Black Friday, over at The Funkie Junkie Boutique!) All the images look great stamped behind all the sentiments!  You just have to figure out a lighter shade of color for the image so the sentiment shows up over it!
I used Pierced Feature Frames Ovals from PTI cutting them out of white paper and Birch Wrapping Paper.  I stamped the Santa in Broken China DOX - stamping off on paper first so the ink wasn't too dark and then stamping on the card stock oval, and stamped the sentiment over it using Wendy Vecchi Archival Watering Can Ink.
and on the inside I used the inside oval cut from the birch wrapping paper behind the sentiment! (sorry for the blurry photo!)
I'm linking my Santa card to:
 I made my second card using a wreath from the same stamp set - but instead of stamping it in ink, I colored the stamp with my Mowed Lawn Ranger Distress Marker, spritzed the stamp with my water mister and stamped it on the die cut oval.    
I stamped the sentiment in Wendy Vecchi Archival Red Geranium Ink first - but it wasn't quite dark enough to show up over the green -  so I stamped over it with Hero Hues Black - a tough thing to do since its a red rubber stamp but somehow I got it just right - a little off set - so you can see the red around the edge of the black!?!  (how often would that work out??!! )
And here's the inside.  I stamped the sentiment the same way with both red and black inks and it worked out again! (I did have a couple of non alignment stampings that went in the bin!)

I'm linking my watercolored wreath to:

Two more for the Christmas box!  I actually have enough cards made for this year already for my own cards but I sell some at my church as well so always good to have extra!

Stamps:  Festive Overlay - Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous.
Paper:  White - PTI, Birch Bark Wrapping Paper - Pier 1 Imports.
Ink:  Ranger Distress Oxide Broken China, Wendy Vecchi Archival Watering Can and Red Geranium, Hero Hues Black.
Accessories:  Pierced Feature Frames Ovals - PTI, foam dots, water mister.

9 comments:

Colleen said...

Julia, I love your Santa image, he turned out great with that color! All of your cards are so lovely with the birch background! Thank you for sharing this at CAS Christmas!

Papercraft Boutique said...

I love the oval frame made of birch wrapping paper on both cards, Julia! It gives out a Christmas feeling and frames the classy Santa and the watercolored-look wreath beautifully. Fantastic job of Red & Black layered sentiment stamping! Great use for the inside oval cut from the wrapping paper too. Thanks so much for joining us at CAS Christmas!
Hideko

Christine Alexander said...

Julia, such a great Santa image and so perfect to use the oval frame to frame dear Santa :)

Loll said...

I love the vintage style of your first card. The Santa looks like an old time Santa, and the birch framing and stamping in blue, adds a modern twist. Very creative Julia.

Another card using that fabulous birch paper. :) It does make an amazing oval frame for your wreath. Great job lining up the over-stamped sentiment. Just a little red showing which gives it such a unique and beautiful look. Great job doing it again for the inside of the card! xx

Bonnie said...

I love how you've used the cut out oval on the inside with the sentiment! So much better than holding on to it! The sentiment stamped over the image is such an interesting look! Lovely vintage images!

Nance said...

Beautiful vintage woodsy Christmas cards, Julia! Love the woodgrain ovals that create a great contrast next to the blue Santa and green wreath images.

Karen Dunbrook said...

such a lovely collection Julia...love the vintage feel they have.

Thanks so much for playing along with the CAS Watercolour Challenge.
:) Karen

Mac Mable said...

The oval frame and the wonderful paper looks fabulous. Two gorgeous CAS cards x

sarascloset said...

These are so charming, Julia! I love the 'wood' you've used to frame the sentiment. I'm still kicking myself for not getting this Overlay set when I had the chance. Sending hugs!