Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Twofer - Leaves

I made myself sit down in my craft room and work on two cards for Darnell's Twofer challenge, which this month is Leaves.  

I don't know why I have such trouble thinking of two different ways to use the same stamps - but it seems to shut my creative mind right down!?!  Usually, I'm very good at multi-tasking -  but apparently not so good at multi-designing?!!!
But, I think I got it done.......
 I know at first glance, my cards look similar -  same colors, same grid background stamp, same dew drops, same leaf stamp, but on closer inspection, I'll show you how they are different!

For my first card I stamped this lovely leaf (retired set Season of Change from Sweet N Sassy) by inking the stamp first in Orange Zest and then 'rock n rolling' the edges (remember that technique??!) in Honey Nut Ink.  You can see all the lovely detail in the stamp.  Then I stamped the Distressed Grid background over the panel in Soft Stone and die cut the panel with Pierced Feature Frames from PTI.

My Thanksgiving card!
For my Twofer below - I used the same stamp but "inked' the stamp by coloring it with Tombow Markers, brown around the outside edges and orange on the inside of the leaf.  Then I stamped the leaf onto watercolor paper and brushed over the middle of the stamping with a slightly wet paint brush to move around the color - which also makes all the detail of the stamp disappear 
(although there wasn't much detail showing anyway since this is a textured watercolor paper.) 
I repeated the process for the second leaf. 
Then I die cut the leaves using the coordinated die and layered them with foam dots over a panel of watercolor paper stamped with the same grid stamp as my first card. I layered the panel to a scalloped die cut and onto a card base of Rustic Cream cardstock .
My Thinking of You card.
So, I hope I got it right sis?  Two different designs for different occasions using the same stamps!

Thanksgiving Card
Stamps: Season of Change - Sweet N Sassy (retired), Distressed Grid - Cornish Heritage Farm (retired), Sentiment -  Inky Antics.
Paper:  white, Honey Nut - PTI
Ink:  Soft Stone, Orange Zest, Honey Nut - PTI
Accessories:  Pierced Feature Frame dies - PTI, orange dew drops, foam dots, Tombow Glue.

Thinking of You Card
Stamps:  Season of Change - Sweet N Sassy (retired), Distressed Grid - Cornish Heritage Farm (retired), Sentiment Staples: Thinking of You - PTI
Paper:  Rustic Cream, Honey Nut - PTI, Arches Watercolor paper
Ink:  Soft Stone, Honey Nut - PTI
Accessories:  Tombow Markers Brown and Orange, water, paint brush, Season of Change leaf dies - Sweet N Sassy (retired), Scallop Stackers Medium die - PTI, foam dots.

12 comments:

Jo said...

Loving the autumn theme, both in the colours and designs. The leaves pop out on both cards and as you said, two very different approaches. Both are beautiful! xx

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Fantastic! I love them both - equally! I think I NEED that sentiment on the 1st one. Oh Julia, your blog is so "expensive"! LOL

Bonnie said...

Looks right to me, Julia! And you used two different stamps in two different ways! Kind of a Fourfer! Love, love, love the sentiment on the first card! What a lovely font and the reason for giving thanks. Love the more subtle look of the leaves on the second card. Isn't it nice to get two different looks from one stamp!

Trina P. said...

These are beautiful and I think you got it right! Two great designs. Love the grid background. x

Mac Mable said...

Love how the both cards turned out. So much detail on the stamp on the first card and love the effect on the second, even though you lost the detail of the stamp. Makes your stamps go further by doing it in such a different way x Wonderful x

Redanne said...

I think you have done an amazing job creating two such different cards, the leaves on both are just gorgeous! Hugs, Anne xx

Darnell said...

You got it right, sis! We don't mind if (in addition to the same stamp or die) you use all the same elements on your card designs, or even the same technique, but we do want to see that the design of the card~the underlying layout~is different, just like you've done here! Of course, using different elements and/or different techniques is also great fun! That leaf is a beauty and I love how you achieved completely different and amazing looks that go so well with the grid paper and sensational sediments!! Thank you so much for playing in Twofer Card Challenge #9! Hugs, Darnell

Anita in France said...

I love that you've made that gorgeous leaf look so different, Julia ... rock and rolling on the single one really made the delicate design on it stand out against the graphic grid background! There's a softness on your second card that comes from the watery blending of the colours ... seems those popped up leaves really are tumbling! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Twofer! Hugs, Anita :)

Kara Lynne said...

You did a fantastic job changing up your leaf with two different techniques and mediums! I love how the neutral background gives texture but keeps the focus on the gorgeous leaves! Thanks for joining in the fun with us at the Twofer Card Challenge

Loll said...

Two beauties, Julia! LOVE that leaf and it is so cool with the rock 'n roll technique. I remember hearing about that technique, but have not done it myself. It looks so pretty to add a deeper colour to the outside edges. The leaf, grid and same colours on both cards is a great idea as these elements make a perfect combination. Your second card is beautiful with your falling,watercoloured maple leaves. The grid and scalloped border are perfect compliments. Thanks for playing along with us at Twofer Card Challenge! xx

Papercraft Boutique said...

Great twofers, Julia! I love how you colored the maple leaves for both cards. Yes, I remember the "rock'n roll" technique - a great way to give the edges a different color. The delicate pattern of the leaf is so pretty. I love the soft fall colors and texture of the leaves inked with makers. The blend of the inks is beautiful. Hideko xx

Words and Pictures said...

That's a great leaf stamp - and I particularly like the version with the blended colouring - lovely and natural. Two fab cards.
Alison x