Thursday, September 6, 2018

Stamping with Leaves

There was a fun Ways to Use It challenge over at Splitcoaststampers last week -  Stamping with leaves - where you go out in your yard and find some leaves - press them into your ink pad and then press them onto your cardstock!  
I used plant leaves instead of tree leaves - and look how pretty they came out!
For my first try -  I used 3 leaves from my pink geranium and 3 different colors of Wendy Vecchi Archival Ink -  Orange Blossom, Cornflower Blue, Fern Green.

I stamped a sentiment from Simple Stems by PTI in the same colors of ink.  I used Tim Holtz Mini Scallop die - 3D Impresslits (it die cuts and embosses in one swoop!) with metallic green paper for the lovely border along the bottom.  The blue frame is cut with Scallop Stackers Small die from PTI and the green border is Noted: Scalloped A2 die also from PTI.   I also splattered some Yellow Oxide Acrylic Paint mixed with water over the panel.
The Process:  I laid a leaf onto the ink pad.   Then I placed a piece of computer paper over the leaf and ink pad so I could really press on the leaf without getting all inky!  Then I removed the leaf from the ink pad and laid it onto a watercolor paper panel. Again, I laid a clean sheet of computer paper over the  panel and rubbed over the leaf to get as good an impression as possible.  I repeated the process with other leaves in other colors.

My next try was with a leaf from a ground cover plant I have in my garden -  I had forgotten the name of it - it has bright yellow flowers in the spring early summer.  I looked it up in my Garden Flowers Book and I think it is Spring Cinquefoil.
The veins in the leaves are more prominent than the fleshy parts. I wasn't sure how the leaves would show up over the text stamping (a panel I had on my desk from a previous project) but I love how it came out!
I die cut the panel with Noted: Pinked A2 Vertical Die from PTI and layered it to a green panel and a die cut blue panel using the same Pinked die set. I added three black rhinestones. I didn't put a sentiment on it - I will probably either just use it for a note or stamp a sentiment inside for an appropriate occasion!

Here are the leaves of this ground cover - the yellow blooms long past but will return next spring!

So - give it a try!  Ink up some leaves and stamp them on your cards!


Geranium Card
Stamps: Simple Stems (sentiment) - PTI
Paper: watercolor paper - Canson, Enchanted Evening, Simply Chartreuse, white - PTI, Foiled Card Stack - DCWV
Inks: Wendy Vecchi Archival Cornflower Blue, Fern Green and Orange Blossom
Accessories:  Real geranium leaves from my garden, Yellow Oxide Acrylic Paint - Golden, paint brush, water, Scallop Stackers Small Die - PTI, Mini Scallop die - 3D Impresslits Tim Holtz/Sizzix, Noted: Scalloped A2 die  

Spring Cinquefoil  card
Stamps: Script Background Stamp - Wendy Vecchi/Stampers Anonymous
Paper: Vintage Cream, Enchanted Evening, Simply Chartreuse, white - PTI
Inks:  Wendy Vecchi Archival Cornflower Blue, Fern Green, Hero Hues Black
Accessories:  real Spring Cinquefoil leaves from my garden, Pinked A2 Dies - PTI, black rhinestones - Kaiser Craft

9 comments:

Sharli Schaitberger said...

My Goodness!! I was looking at a beautiful maple tree yesterday and thinking I should steal a leaf or 3 to make a card! Can you believe it!?!?! Your's set the bar very high, Julia! They are so pretty - I'm glad the veins show up so well - it is the skeleton of the plant after all. Very, very nice!

Bonnie said...

Beautiful botanical prints, Julia! Love the leaves over the script! It reminds me of a botanical journal page.

Mac Mable said...

What an inventive and unique idea. I could see the first card was made with the leaves from a geranium before I read it...Such a beautiful first card and love the splats of yellow oxide too. Fabulous second card and the text script works perfectly with those wonderful leaf images. Thanks for sharing this fun technique x

nancy littrell said...

Your leaf stamped images turned out beautifully, Julia. TFS your process. Your finished cards are so creative and pretty. TFS Hugs..

Words and Pictures said...

Oh, how lovely - proper leaf prints. Your cards are so pretty. I've loved playing with real garden gatherings on my gelli plate, and I had some fun stamping with a sliced little gem lettuce. Must ink up some leaves soon!
Alison x

Christine Alexander said...

beautiful Julia, I love the natural print from the leaves :)

Papercraft Boutique said...

Your leaf prints are so unique, clear, and beautiful, Julia! Thank you for explaining the process and posting the actual botanical photos. Looks like a fun project to try! Hideko xx

Loll said...

LOVE your botanical prints Julia!! Both turned out so beautifully. Great colours too. Amazing how much the leaves show over the script. I have tried this once before with a fern and it is really fun to go "hunting" for your image. :) Great work, my friend! xx

Jo said...

I've always wanted to try this, but with my Gelli. This is really different and leave crisp detailed images. Loving the colour combo used, mother nature tones. Loving this technique and your beautiful cards. xx