Tuesday, May 1, 2018

May CAS Mix Up Card Challenge - Gelatos or Crayons

It's the first of May and the CAS Mix Up Card Challenge is up at the blog!
And it's a fun one! Bonnie is our creative host this month and she is asking us to use Gelatos or Crayons.  
Now I have had Ranger Distress Crayons for a couple of years now and have not used them much - so I was happy to see the videos with ideas on using these crayons posted over at the challenge.
This is the video that inspired my card:  Backgrounds with Distress Crayons by Shari Carroll (3:14)

And here is my card!
 I took a few photos of my creative process.
First I rubbed 3 different colors onto watercolor card and rubbed them to blend with my finger.  I used Iced Spruce, Shabby Shutters and Wild Honey.
Then I laid the Heart Struck Stencil from Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous over the colors and rubbed over the stencil with a baby wipe to remove the color.
(don't use a really wet wipe it will wash all the color out)
And when I removed the stencil - this great design was revealed!
I added this sweet fox washi tape by Alexandra Renke across the middle of the crayon design and stamped a sentiment from Butterfly Blooms from PTI using Cocoa Bean Ink.
I'm so happy to know this lovely technique using the Distress Crayons and Stencils - I'll be making more cards using it for sure!

Our Guest Designer this month is the lovely and talented Jenny (My Paper Epiphany)

So please join us in this fun challenge.   There are several technique videos to inspire you! 
Check out all of the wonderful inspiration from the Design Team here at the CAS Mix Up Blog!  You have until 5/24 to link up your card!


Stamps:  Butterfly Blooms - PTI
Paper:  Canson Watercolor Paper, Soft Saffron and white - PTI.
Ink:  Cocoa Bean - PTI
Accessories:  Ranger Distress Crayons Iced Spruce, Shabby Shutters, Wild Honey, Heart Struck Stencil - Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous, Fox Washi Tape - Alexandra Renke, baby wipe.

16 comments:

Mac Mable said...

Such a unique and fabulous background with that wonderful stencil and the fun technique. How cute is that tape? Artsy and fabulous card Julia x

Bonnie said...

Awesome background, Julia! Love these colors together and the pattern from the stencil! The Washi tape with the foxes is adorable! A fun card and great use of the Distress Crayons!

Jo said...

I couldn't wait to see the "how to" for your card. That washi tape is truly unique and beautiful, but that background is totally in sync with those foxes, along with the thin frame of your card. Simply beautiful xx

Susan said...

Love the technique with the stencil and the crayons - I must try it! And I adore the sweet foxes on the tape. A fabulous card!

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, how pretty! Interesting how it comes out with the stencil. I really need to watch more videos. The colors are perfect with your sweet foxes.

Loll said...

Love how your background turned out Julia. I used the same technique for my DT card and found it really fun and easy. I have had my distress crayons for a long time and not really figured out how to use them, so this was a great chance to try out some of the video techniques and I was so happy. :) I LOVE that gorgeous tape across the middle of your card ... works so perfectly with your background. What a lovely Mother's Day card! xx

Redanne said...

That technique with the crayons and stencil is amazing, I love how it turned out! The washi tape is beautiful (I am in love with her papers, I buy them and then cannot bear to cut them up). A beauty of a card Julia! Hugs, Anne xx

nancy littrell said...

Such a fun and artsy crayons background for your sweet washi tape foxs. I agree..an awesome challenge to inspire us to use our gelatos and/or crayons properly. TFS Julia. Hugs..

Christine Alexander said...

OMG Julia, that colour combo is perfect for your foxy washi tape. Gorgeous earthy tones Love it :)

Pat said...

That fox washi tape is fabulous and goes beautifully with your Distress Crayon background Julia, and love the look of that stencilled pattern too. x

Trina P. said...

What a cool lifting technique and you got awesome results. Perfect choice of crayon colors to match the fox washi tape. A beautiful card, Julia. x

Marcia Hill said...

What a FABULOUS card Julia!! I love your step by step photos of how your background evolved! I bought the crayons when they first came out and only tried them once without much success. After seeing your card I definitely need to give them another go! LOVE that washi tape you used too...what a wonderful card!! :0)

Papercraft Boutique said...

What an awesome forest you've created with the disterss crayons, Julia! I love the lifting effects and the color combo you chose! Using the washi tape this way is so clever and the fox colors perfctly matches the background colors. Thanks for showing the photos of your creative process! I love visual tutorials. :-) Hideko xx

Cathy said...

Great card, love the look of this technique with baby wipes and the stencil. Your colours are gorgeous, perfect for the foxes, Cathy x

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

Wow! This is just beautiful!

akmoose said...

I clicked on Renke on your page and ended up here!! LOVE the fox washi tape. I love A. Renke dies and thought that was what I was going to see...but it was washi tape.. I will have to find some. So fun!!