Saturday, May 5, 2018

Kentucky Derby Florals

I have a birthday card to share today - and I'm SO happy with how it came out!
I had made the background piece for a card I made last week - I had taken a panel of water color paper and pounced it on my craft mat where I had rubbed Carved Pumpkin Distress ink spritzed with water. After drying the panel I pounced it into Mermaid Lagoon on the craft mat also spritzed with water and then dried that.  

I laid the Happy Flowers Stencil from Stamplorations over the panel and sponged over it with Ripe Persimmon Distress ink.

I die cut the BIRTHDAY, layered it onto the panel and stamped HAPPY.

My card design was inspired by the following challenges:
Splitcoaststampers Free 4 All Challenge
Be inspired by the Kentucky Derby - I was inspired by the flowers all the ladies wear on their hats!

Splitcoaststampers Mix Ability Challenge
Keep It Simple -  use 2 layers and at least 2 Mixed Media 
(I smooshed ink and used a stencil and a die cut)

Bold Bloom - Mixed Media Style

Stamps: Never Enough Birthday - PTI
Paper: Tropical Teal, white - PTI, watercolor paper - Canson
Ink:  Ranger Distress Ripe Persimmon, Carved Pumpkin and Mermaid Lagoon; Tropical Teal - PTI
Accessories:  Happy Flowers Stencil - Stamplorations, Happy Birthday Combo Die - Poppy Stamps, craft mat, water mister.

11 comments:

Christine Alexander said...

Julia, I love your gorgeous layering of colours, amazing card :)

Nancy Penir said...

Well, this calls for a frame and display in a gallery! Gorgeous! Love all the artsy detailing. So glad it's on display at the Card Concept challenge!

Mary Marsh said...

This is beautiful Julia- I can see why you are happy with it- love mixed media and you are good at it

Vicki Dutcher said...

Fabulous use of color! This returned out beautiful

nancy littrell said...

Gorgeous Mixed Media layering, Julia. I love your smooshed background and stenciled flowers. Your die cut and stamped sentiment were the perfect final addition to your birthday card. TFS your card and description, my friend. Hugs..

Mac Mable said...

Wonderful mixed media card with great colours and love the layering effect. Very eye catching and absolutely fabulous x

Susan said...

Beautiful colours - great layering of them with the vibrant flowers on the top.

Bonnie said...

These bold flowers are gorgeous, Julia! Love the colors you've used here!

Loll said...

I can see why you are happy with your card, Julia ... it is GORGEOUS!! LOVE all the splashes and splatters of ink that make the most amazing background. The stenciled flowers and sentiment tie the colours all together. Awesome design! xx

Words and Pictures said...

Wow! Sometimes you just can't beat a mop-up, can you? Absolutely magical inky effects to create a really artsy look to your florals - I love it.
Alison x

Susan Powell said...

I love all the layers on your card! So pretty! Thanks so much for joining us at The Card Concept.