Sunday, July 28, 2024

Group Of Seven Cardmakers - July 2024 Kaleidoscope Technique

 For July, we - the Group of Seven Cardmakers - are playing with the Kaleidoscope Technique.

You will find instructions for this technique over at the Group of 7 blog, as well as my own step by step below.

I made this lobster card for my wonderful daughter-in-laws birthday - which is in December - but she LOVES lobster and always gets it when they visit us in MA in the summer, as the lobster in MD, where they live, isn't as good - and her name is Sunny -  so I created this very personalized card for her.

I'm taking great creative license here in saying my strips are like the bottom of the ocean or maybe its a map from MD to MA??!


I'll show you some photos of how I created my cards.

I gold embossed a Roses All Over background stamp from MFT  and a Crackle Stamp from Impression Obsession onto a panel of water color paper. 


I brushed water over the whole panel.  Then I brushed on random patches of watercolors.  


I dried the panels with my heat tool and cut the panels into 1/2" x 4 1/4" strips.  

This is how I finished the Anniversary Card

I embossed a frame (Simple Frame 3D - Altenew) onto a panel of Hammered White Paper.  I put some Rub 'N Buff Gold Leaf on my finger and rubbed it along the embossed frame so it matched the gold embossing on the strips.
   
I cut the strips to fit inside the frame and glued them  in random order onto the panel.
I added a printed sentiment along the base of the frame - like it was the title of this modern art painting!

I made this an Anniversary card for a friends' Son and Daughter-in-law so I added their names to the die cut hearts.


We hope you will give this technique a try and link up over at The Group of Seven so we can all see your creation!

I'm also linking my anniversary card to:

First time using the frame embossing folder.

Anything Goes  ends 8/7



Linking my lobster card to:



Tic Tac Toe ends 7/31
Middle Horizontal row - Die Cuts - Free - Any Sentiment



Anniversary Card:
Stamps: Roses All Over Background - My Favorite Things
Paper: Water color paper - Canson Cold Press, Hammered White Card - Amazon, Lavender Moon, Lemon Tart - PTI.
Ink: Versamark
Accessories: Gold Embossing Powder, Heat Tool, water, brushes, Winsor and Newton Water Color Paints, foam tape, printed sentiment strip, Heart Nestability, heart Punch, Computer generated names

Lobster Birthday
Stamps:  Crackle background stamp - Impression Obsession, sentiment from My Island set - Waltzingmouse (retired)
Paper:  Water color paper - Canson Cold Press, Pure Poppy, Spring Rain, Lemon Tart - PTI, Hammered white - Amazon.
Ink:  Nocturne - Versafine Clair, Versamark
Accessories:  Gold Embossing Powder, Heat tool, water, brushes, Winsor and Newton Water Color paints, form dots, Lobster die - Charlie and Paulchen, Sun die - Lil Inker Designs, cloud die - PTI, enamel dots and heart - Altenew

13 comments:

Darnell said...

Another wonderful teaching post, sis, with great photos and instructions! Your inspiration for this technique is infectious! I especially love the personalized fun lobster card you made for Sunny! Hugs, Darnell

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Cool technique - thanks for sharing the how-to, Julia! Just love the roses on card one (great personalization too!) and the fun lobster on card two. Thanks for the Go7 inspiration!!

Brenda in IN said...

That lobster card is wonderful and I love the explanation of it either being a map or underwater! The pink and gold is so pretty and the frame is a great way to show it.

Bonnie said...

I like how the roses go together with this technique, Julia! The gold makes this very elegant and perfect for an anniversary card. The lobster card is fun especially thinking the background is a map for your DIL to get to your house!

Betty said...

cute lobster birthday card, Julia and interesting technique - new to me - thanks for joining us at TicTacToe this week!z

HilaryJane said...

I love the look of this technique. these are 2 great examples. and gorgeous colours. Thanks for showing your process too xx

Christine Alexander said...

wonderful cards, your anniversary one is gorgeous with the embossed frame and your Kaleidoscope strips in the centre. I love your little lobster card, he's a cutie and great use of the technique xx

Loll said...

Both cards are fantastic, Julia!! I love the personalized anniversary card in pink and yellow. So pretty with the roses background and those lovely stacked hearts and vintage-look frame. The lobster card is a wonderful tribute to Sunny. I LOVE the crackled background with the different colours ... they look so amazing in randomly ordered stripes for your background. The lobster is going to make Sunny smile! :) xx

Susan said...

Both are fabulous cards, Julia. I especiall love the first one with the pink and yellow, and also love the way you did the frame with the rub n buff gold leaf. Great job on our technique this month!

Nancy said...

That lobster is fantastic! Thanks so much for playing with us at Time Out Challenges!

Melanie Hungerford said...

Love the floral card, the embossing is a wonderful way to frame the strips. Very pretty, thanks for sharing with us at Can You Handle the Pressure!

Greta said...

Wonderful cards and I especially love the look of the panel you cut into strips. Always great to personalize a birthday card and glad you joined us at Time Out.

My Paper Epiphany said...

Two fabulous card! I love how the first one is framed and the fun lobster in the 2nd!