Sunday, April 28, 2024

Group of Seven April Technique - Coloring with an Elegant Writer Pen

 It's time for the April Group of Seven Cardmakers Post -  this month we are using an Elegant Writer Pen to color our images.

There are two YouTube Videos linked over at Group of Seven for techniques and I'm sure there are others available as well.

For my first try, I used 2 of the 4 floral images in the Bold Botanicals stamp set from Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous.  I inked the stamps with Nocturne Ink and most of the image is black when you stamp it.  I wrote over most of the lines with the Elegant Writer then I started brushing water over the image, which pretty much, turns blue.  I like to have some pink, so I dab over the watery blue and, like magic, some of the area turns pinkish!  You can get a greenish tinge as well.

For my third try, I found this really large funky kind of floral image Doodle Bouquet from Lavinia and used the same process on this.  I then stenciled around the image with the Bubble Layering Stencil from Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous with Iceberg Ink.

I forgot the step of fine misting the panel from a distance to be sure that all of the Elegant write ink has been activated - I'm going back and doing it now!!


You can find the Elegant Writer pens at most craft stores and on Amazon.  They are not expensive.  I used a 2.0 mm because that's what I had, but the video recommends a 1.3 mm extra fine tip.

So check out the rest of the GO7 team over at the GO7 blog and then get your own Elegant Writer and try it out -  then link it up so we can see it!

I'm linking my cards to:

first time using the both the Bold Botanicals and the Doodle Bouquet Stamp 

Linking my daisy card to:
We Love Stamping:  spring/garden ends 5/1

Linking my rose card to:
CAS card  ends 5/13
a rose with subtle blue and pink




Stamps:  Bold Botanicals - Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous, Doodle Bouquet - Altenew
Paper:  Water color paper - Canson Cold Press
Ink:  Nocturne - Versafine Clair, Iceberg - Altenew
Accessories:  Elegant Writer 2.0 mm, water, #3 paint brush, paper towel, Bubble Layering Stencil- Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous, blender brush.

11 comments:

Christine Alexander said...

the elegant writer really adds some beautiful colours to the bold botanicals. I love the touch of pink when the color is blotted xx

HilaryJane said...

This is such a great technique. I love all your examples. Thanks for sharing your tips xx

Sue N said...

What great cards, Julia! I'm definitely intrigued with the look you guys achieved! They're all a bit different. I might have to get a couple and give it a try! Thanks for the inspiration! Sue N

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Wow Julia - three gorgeous examples of the Elegant Writer technique! Love them all but especially the floral w/soft stenciling around it!!

Bonnie said...

I didn't catch the misting step so none of mine have been misted. Hmmm...Your botanicals are amazing, my friend! Very elegant with the plain borders. The stenciling adds a playful feel to these sweet daisies! Love their faces!

Darnell said...

Wow, sis, your examples really show the magic of the black EW on a b/w image! I think I'll get a finer tip EW and try this again with a penciled large image like you've used. Great inspiration and thanks for linking again to NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

Susan said...

You got beautiful colours - lovely little hints of pink and blue! I think we all did amazing and different things with our Elegant Writers - such a fun technique to try.

Brenda in IN said...

I love the pink that peeks through the black ink. Those flowers with "faces" are so cute and the misting spreads the color so well.

Loll said...

All your cards are fabulous Julia. I especially love the areas where you've blotted and there is lovely shades of pink and blue. This has been a fun experiment with these pens and I think everyone has enjoyed them. :) Great work Julia! xx

Marcia Hill said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL cards Julia! I think I need to go shopping at Amazon for one of these pens and give this technique a try! Your botanicals just couldn't be any prettier!! Hugs. :0)

brenda said...

Really striking CAS designs Julie, they make a real statement, many thanks for joining us at We Love Stamping challenge.

Like the lady above will check out the pens at Amazon, have so many white pens but most disappoint so always happy to try another.

B x