Thursday, December 28, 2023

Group of Seven Cardmakers - Torn Edge Design Element

 This month the Group of Seven Cardmakers are playing with the Design Element of torn edges.

Here is the my card.



To create this background I followed  2) Gina K's Video linked below on torn stenciling.
 
I  tore one edge off of two strips of card stock.

I taped the torn edge pieces along the top and bottom of my white panel to mask off a small portion (if you know you are putting your sentiment in the white space on top or bottom, be sure to leave enough room for it.)

I laid my stencil (Pebble/Lavinia) over the open space in the middle.

I used a blender brush to blend a light blue ink (Sea Glass/Altenew) over the stencil, then I blended a little bit of darker blue (Dusk/Altenew) over some of the stencil to add a little depth.

I removed the stencil and  blended a little more of the darker blue along the torn edges of the masks.

I removed the torn strip masks and brushed very lightly over the white at top and bottom with the light blue ink just to soften the white and to give a grounding for my fairy (or you can leave it  white)

I stamped my images  (Lavinia) using Nocturne Versafine Clair Ink.

I colored a few areas on Fairy Starr with a yellow Copic and added a printed sentiment along the top.

Here are links to 3 different torn edge design elements if you'd like to try some out yourself!

Videos: 
1)  Turn ripped card stock into beautiful cards by Simon Hurley (14:35)
2)  Torn Stenciling Technique by Gina K (5:11)
3)  Ripped Paper Technique by Natasha Foote (12:24)

You will also find many lovely examples of various torn edge designs from the rest of the GO7 over at the Group of Seven Cardmakers blog -  so please check them out -  and if you try it yourself , please link up your card over there so we can all see!


I'm linking my card to:
1st time using all of these Lavina Stamps





Stamps:  Starr, Foliage Set, Forest Hares, The Wallace Family Hedgehogs - Lavina.
Paper:  White - PTI
Ink:  Nocturne - Versarind Clair, Sea Glass and Dusk - Altenew.
Accessories:  Pebble Stencil - Altenew, Y02 Copic, blender brushes, printed sentiment.

11 comments:

Loll said...

LOVE your design, Julia. Those Lavinia stamps are so sweet together to create a scene. The torn edges add so much interest, especially with the pebbles stenciling. Great work! xx

Christine Alexander said...

Beautiful scene Julia, the stencil is a perfect magical background. This was such a fun technique xx

nancy littrell said...

Hi Julia..I love how you used Gina K's torn technique for your beautiful Lavinia stamped scene. Your choice of stencil was perfect and your softly blended inks were wonderful. I look forward to trying this technique. Happy Creative New Year, dear friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Sweet fairy scene, Julia and I love how you framed the stenciling with the torn edges - very effective!!

Lisa Elton said...

What an enchanting scene you've created Julia! Terrific card!

Susan said...

Love your beautiful scene with the fairy and the animals! Your torn edge stencilled background looks quite magical behind the fairy - and you did such a good job of the technique!

HilaryJane said...

This is wonderful and such a great example of how a torn edge can enhance a scene. I must learn to use it occasionally. Thank you for the wonderful inspiration xx

Bonnie said...

What wonderful depth of color in your stenciling, Julia! The stenciled background is perfect for these whimsical stamps! Happy New Year, my friend!

Brenda in IN said...

I love the depth of color for your background. These stamps are so cute, especially the hedgehogs. Great card for torn edge. Happy New Year!

Sarn said...

A stunning card using the torn paper technique. Beautiful stamping and colours used.

Happy New Year to you xxx

Robyn Oliver said...

Fabulous card Julia, I love the combination of the torn edge and stencilling... perfect for that stamp, hugs Robyn