Saturday, February 5, 2022

Cloisonne Jar of Flowers

Today I'm joining in with the CAS Mix Up Card Challenge - using Faux Cloisonne.  I have not done this before so wanted to check it out!

I used embossing, and stenciling with mousse as my mediums and stamped the sentiment.

I used the cloisonne technique where you take a page from a glossy magazine and gold emboss an image over it.  I didn't have any magazines so I got out last years calendar from the Disabled Veterans that luckily, I hadn't thrown out yet.

This one was from a photo of a sunrise on a farm road, of oranges and tans with a pink sky.  I tried to line up the stamp in an area of colors that would work with the image.

 
Here's the image I used below -  I stamped it in two places  and ended up using the one cut out on the left where it showed the sun rising in the orange sky.    
The area on the right was all a mix of oranges and yellows and didn't have enough variation and you couldn't see the detail of the image very well.

I wanted to try another page with different colors so here is my second card.

Here's the calendar page I used for this stamping, just capturing the darkness of the night landscape and the purples and reds of the sunset.

For both cards, I die cut scalloped frames and stenciled over the center of them using Mother of Pearl Nuvo Embellishment Mousse with a bubbles stencil.  
I adhered each faux cloisonne image to a die cut piece of white card to give it sturdiness and layered it over the stenciling with foam dots after the mousse was dry.  
I stamped the Hello in coordinating colors, punched it with a Word Window punch, added 3 gold pearls and layered it over the image with foam dots.


Stamps: Mason Jar of Flowers - Stamping Bella, Hello from Hero Arts Sentiment Set
Paper: White - PTi, Watercolor paper - Canson Cold Press
Ink: Versamark, Marigold, Purple Wine - Altenew
Accessories: Mason Jar of Flowers die - Stamping Bella, Stacked Scallop Medium die- PTI, Bubble Layering Stencil - Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous, Nuvo Embellishment Mousse Mother of Pearl, word window punch - SU, foam dots, glossy image from a calendar, gold pearls, heat tool.

13 comments:

Glennis F said...

I have not heard of this technique, it looks fascinating

HilaryJane said...

Lovely to see you in the Mix Up gallery this month. Your Cloisonne examples are fabulous. It is interesting how much difference the picture makes. I don't think I can pick a favourite, they are both fabulous. Thanks for taking the time to join us xx

SmilynStef said...

Your card inspired me ... and made me realize this was the first-ever stamping technique I tried back in November 2006 ... how fun to revisit it again.

Bonnie said...

Wonderful examples of the faux cloisonné technique, Julia! Very unique looks from the different illustrations! The stenciled mousse makes a great background too! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

Christine Alexander said...

beautiful effect with the backgrounds. I really have to try this :)

Susan said...

I remember trying this when I first joined SCS and they had a tutorial. But I haven't done it for many years. Seeing your card is inspiring me to try it again. Love both versions of your vase of flowers - great stencilled background and framing.

nancy littrell said...

Two beautiful faux cloisonne images for your gorgeous cards, Julia. TFS your descriptions of both your cards. Isn't this a fun technique:-) TFS my friend. Love and Hugs..Nancy

Jo said...

Truly lovely Julia, thank you for the inspiration xx

Mac Mable said...

Great use of the calendar and both cards are beautiful. Great effect with the fun technique Julia x.

Susan Joyce said...

Julia your cards are stunning, love how you have captured the colours perfectly for your stamped images and teamed with the backgrounds made two beautiful cards. Thanks for playing along this month at CAS Mix Up!

Loll said...

Two beautiful cards using the faux cloisonne technique, Julia! You have picked your glossy images perfect and the lining up to create the difference from your flower to your jar vase is perfection! xx

Brenda in IN said...

Both are pretty, Julia. The purple flowers do show more detail. I love the scalloped frame and background you used.

Linda said...

Two gorgeous cards for this months challenge. You picked the perfect colours for your flowers. Thanks for sharing at CAS Mix Up xx