Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Winter Thank You Cards and Christmas Tags Using Eileen Hull's Sizzix Dies - Comfort and Joy

 Many of Eileen Hull's Design and Educational Team members are creating Comfort and Joy posts - quick projects for the holidays and beyond using Eileen's Sizzix dies.  All of the teams projects will be linked over at the Eileen Hull Fan Club FB.

I have created an easy to make winter Thank You Note using the snowflake die from Eileen's Wreath and Snowflake Thinlits die set.

I also made two tags, also using the lovely snowflake die along with the bird die from the Wreath and Snowflake set.  I die cut the tag using the largest tag die from her Waterfall and Tags Thinlits die set. By changing the sentiment these could be used on any winter gift!


Here is a brief tutorial on making the quilt background for the Thank You note.  
I found the tutorial for the 'Disappearing 9 Patch' in the Forum over at Splitcoaststampers.

First, I picked out 3 snowflake patterned papers from a 6x6 paper pad.  I cut a couple of 1" strips from each pattern and then cut the strips into 1" squares (so each strip gave me 6 one inch squares.)

I cut a 3" square out of white card stock and adhered a double sided adhesive sheet over the white panel (you could also just put glue on the squares to adhere them to the white panel)
I laid out the snowflake squares onto the white panel mixing the patterns 
(looking at the top row across below) - I did pattern 1, pattern 2, pattern 3  second row Pattern 2, 3, 1, then third row pattern 3,1, 2) 
You want to try and adhere the squares evenly with edges touching.
Next, I cut the square in half one way, then the other way as per below.
Then I laid the 4 quilt pieces on a 4"x4" black panel leaving 1/2" outer edge all around, turning each square to create a mixed up pattern. Once I was happy with the look of the pattern, I adhered the 4 pieces to the black panel.
I die cut the snowflake out of Disco Glitter Cardstock (Michaels) and put thin foam strips on the back as shown.
I adhered the snowflake with the foam strips, to the center of the quilt piece.  
My outside edges on this one didn't quite come out even (!?)  so I die cut a square frame using 3 1/4" and 2 3/4' Nestibilities and adhered it over the quilt square. (There's always a 'fix' right?!)
The frame makes the outside lines look crisp and clean.  
You could also just trim your quilt square outside edges to make them even, if you're trying to make a bunch of these as quickly as possible!
Another way to get these put together quicker is to just leave your 9 patch and don't cut it in quarters!  
It's still a lovely quilt look!  I lined up these pieces better and the edges were even so I didn't need a frame around it.
Below is the simpler finished card with the 9 patch and no framing.  I also just adhered the snowflake over the panel without foam so it lays flat.
Below is the Disappearing 9 Patch with the frame over it and the snowflake up on foam.
I adhered the black panel to a 4 1/4" square white card base.  I stamped the thank you, punched out the oval and adhered it to the corner of the frame.
Now on to the tags.   
You could use this tag for any winter gift giving with a different sentiment (Happy Birthday, Just for You, Congratulations)  It would look pretty on a bottle of wine, right?!

A simple how to for the tags.
I die cut snowflakes out of the Disco Glitter Cardstock. I cut the birds as well as the tags out of blue and red Glitter cardstock using Eileen's Wreath and Snowflake Thinlit dies.  I used the largest tag die from Water Fall and Tags Thinlit Dies.  
I stamped the sentiment on a strip of white card and adhered it as a grounding for the bird's feet.  I added tiny black gems for the eyes.
I hope I have inspired you to create some simple but impressive holiday/winter cards and tags!

All of the teams' Comfort and Joy projects are being shown on Eileen Hull's Fan Club Face Book page with links to our blog posts during the month of December.

Are you a member of the Eileen Hull Fan Club? Join over 5,ooo other members to share ideas, inspiration, sources, challenges and make some fabulous friends – make sure to answer the questions! Watch her Facebook Lives at Eileen Hull Designs on Tuesdays at 6:00 Eastern and Thursdays at 4:00 for project ideas, techniques, inspiration and creative community. Additionally, you can also find Eileen on FacebookInstagram and Pinterest.

Stamps:  Thank You from Vintage Roses Add On Stamp Set - Altenew, Merry Christmas from Silent Night - Papertrey Ink.
Ink:  Obsidian - Altenew
Paper:  White and True Black -Papertrey Ink, red and blue glitter paper, Disco Glitter Cardstock - Michaels, DP North Winkd 6x6 paper pad - Craft and You.
Accessories:  Wreath and Snowflake Thinlit Dies, Waterfall and Tags Thinlit Dies - Eileen Hull/Sizzix, 6x6 Adhesive Sheets - Sizzix, word window punch - Stampin' Up, black tiny twinkles - Taylored Expressions.

10 comments:

Mac Mable said...

Thank you for the tutorials and what a striking Christmas card Julia. Such pretty tags and love that beauiutlf snowflake on the card and tags x.

LJMILLER said...

love how you did the patchwork on the card. wonderful idea!!!! thanks for sharing.

Stamped Impressions said...

These are lovely pieces Julia, thanks for sharing!

Christine Alexander said...

Beautiful card, love the shades of gray and silver against the black, and great sparkly tags ♥

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

Fabulous tutorial on the disappearing 9 patch...I can make that! And thanks for the tip on how to fix those edges!

Susan said...

Thanks for the tutorial on the quilt cards - a great way to use up some of that DP I have hanging around! And I love the two tags - beautiful colour scheme of blue and red!

nancy littrell said...

Beautiful quilted pattern cards with pretty glitter die cut snowflakes and sweet and glittery tags, Julia. TFS your projects and photo descriptions, my friend. Merry Christmas and Happy Healthy New Years. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Bonnie said...

I love the dimension and sparkle of the snowflake thank you card! The patchwork background is perfect for showing it off! The sparkly tags will look awesome on any gift, especially a bottle of wine! They are so much prettier than the tags I made out of leftover paper! If I didn't thank you before, I want to tell you how much I'm enjoying your Christmas card! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas! xoxo

Loll said...

LOVE how you've combined the three patterned papers to create your amazing background for the glittery snowflake. So creative and beautiful Julia! And your tags are just the sweetest! xx

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Fabulous 9-patch cards, Julia, and I love your glittery tags too!! Thanks for sharing how you made the 9-patch; you really chose a beautiful combo of papers!