Monday, October 11, 2021

New Chapter 4 Journal from Eileen Hull/Sizzix - Bugs Tutorial

 Today I'm sharing a quick tutorial on how I put together this fun BUGS Journal using Eileen Hull's new Chapter 4 Full Size Journal Die.    

This is a larger die and requires a machine with at least a 9" throat like the Big Shot Plus or Big Shot Pro.   Eileen also sells all the precut pieces for this journal in her Etsy Shop so you can still make one if you don't have the larger machine. 

 First a few views of the finished journal. 

The front showing the latch closure and label using pieces included on the die.

The back and binding, showing the elastic cord that holds the 3 signature sections in the journal.  Depending on how  you layer the binding, you can increase the width of the journal to hold more signatures.
I added the longer label die cut on the back, stamping it with my name and adding enamel dots to the ends.
The pages inside - awaiting drawings, photos and notes on any bugs I encounter!  Slipping the signature pages through the elastic cord allows for more pages to be added very easily.

Now on to construction.  
I die cut the cover piece twice and adhered ScorTape to one of the binding areas being sure not to cover the holes.  Then I laid the right binding section over the left and pressed to adhere.  If I only put the tape on  the outside edge on the left and only laid the outside edge of the right piece over it - the journal would be wider allowing 5 signatures to be added.
I cut pieces of my bugs paper and Stick it Double Sided Adhesive Sheets to fit the outside covers, and adhered them to the journal covers.
I sponged Bay Blends 2 Ink over the inside covers and let dry.

I cut a piece of Sticky Back Canvas Tape to cover the outside binding and sponged it with the same Bay Blends 2 Ink.  The canvas tape is 2" wide and fit perfectly over my binding and wrapping around onto the covers about 1/2".


I adhered the Sticky Back Canvas piece over the binding and then used an ice pick to open the holes for the elastic cord.
I lined up the latch panel and marked the holes, punched them with my Cropadile and attached the latch to the cover with large aqua brads.
I attached the closure tab to the back of the journal with another brad.
And slipped it through the front piece.

 
I cut 6 pieces of Rustic White Card Stock to 7 1/2" x 11", scored them at 5 1/2" on the 11" side and folded them in half. I used 2 folded pieces in each signature.  I cut 3 pieces of white elastic cord 18" long, looping each piece through a whole in the top and bottom of the binding and knotting it in the middle.





This new die makes a lovely large size journal that can be made narrow or wide in the binding.  A lovely addition to all the different size journal dies Eileen has created for us!

Please check out Eileen's Blog every Wednesday this month for more inspiration from her Inspiration and Education Teams using her new Chapter 4 Dies and embossing folder!

Are you a member of the Eileen Hull Fan Club? Join over 5,ooo other members to share ideas, inspiration, sources, challenges and make some fabulous friends – make sure to answer the questions! Watch her Facebook Lives at Eileen Hull Designs on Tuesdays at 6:00 Eastern and Thursdays at 4:00 to for project ideas, techniques, inspiration and creative community. Additionally, you can also find Eileen on FacebookInstagram and Pinterest.




Paper:  Rustic White Card Stock - Papertrey Ink (for pages), white Little Sizzles Matboard - Sizzix, DP Bugs - American Crafts (Michaels).
Ink:  Bay Blends 2 - Eileen Hull/Color Box Clear Snap
Accessories:  Full Sized Journal - Eileen Hull/Sizzix, Alphanumeric Dies - Tim Holtz/Sizzix, Double Sided Adhesive Sheets - Stick It, Sticky Back Canvas Tape - Dina Wakley, colored brads, ice Pick, white elastic cord, enamel dots - Altenew.

3 comments:

Vicki Dutcher said...

Hey stranger! It’s been a minute 😀. I love that you are still rocking out the ABC projects!

Bonnie said...

I'm amazed at building this journal, Julia! It would be fun for journaling all kinds of nature!

Christine Alexander said...

great tutorial, love how the journal came together. Love it ♥