Monday, July 19, 2021

Grand Slam Birthday Truck

 All this month, Eileen Hull's Design Team members are creating using her new Chapter 3 dies.  Today I have a project to share using her wonderful new Truck Box Die and I also used the large circle die from her Ornament Box die for the giant baseball I put in the truck!

Wouldn't this be a fun gift box for a baseball players' birthday?! 

The inside box measures about 6" x 1 1/4" x 1".

I filled my truck box with mints, but you could put in a gift card, cash, or small presents!
The sentiment stamps are from 7th Inning Stretch by Papertrey Ink but are now retired.


Here's how I put it together.
I die cut all the truck pieces twice out of matboard.  Then I cut two of the truck piece out of Rinea Star Struck red foil paper - cutting both pieces at once being sure the fronts of each piece of foil were facing each other so the right side would show when adhered to the truck piece.  
I got the baseball image from the computer and just sized it to 3", printed them on white cardstock and die cut them with Spellbinders Circle dies. 
I had printed some smaller baseballs as well as I wasn't quite sure how I was going to use them on the truck at that point.
I glued the truck sides to the box piece and held it with clothespins until it dried.
Then I glued the foil paper to each side of the truck
I glued the end pieces of the box to each end - again holding the glued tabs with clothespins.
I drew baseball stitching on the tire 'hub caps'.
I blackened the 'tires' by pressing them into a black ink pad.  Then glued the hubcaps on top and glued them to the truck body being sure the 'stitching' on the hubcaps were all pointing forward.
I glued the die cut baseball images onto the matboard circles I cut using Eileen's Ornament Box die.  They are about 3" diameter.  
I adhered the large baseballs to each side of the truck bed with a strip of foam tape so it held them slightly away from the outside of the truck.  See the foam strip on one of the sides below.
Then I pressed the baseballs onto the foam tape.
I used Versamark pressed onto the fender pieces to adhere Eileen's Polished Silver Molen Dimensions Powder.  I had to keep adding powder to the piece as I heated it, as some of the powder blew away when I used my heat tool to melt it but I finally got good coverage after several layers. 
 (I solved the problem below when I embossed the doors and end panels!)
I glued the fenders over the tires.  I was happy with all the 'dings' as I liked my truck looking used and well loved!
After I had embossed the fenders, I decided to use the cut out of the window for a door panel and I wanted to emboss them with the same molten powder -  this time I used my Emboss It Dabber as it puts a thicker coat of Versamark on the piece and holds this chunky powder better.  
It worked perfectly with one coat!
I cut a piece of vellum paper to fit behind each of the truck windows and glued them in place.  I glued the 'door' piece I made from the cut out of the window (and embossed as shown in the above photo) just below the window.
I die cut two more pieces of the end panel of the box, cut off the tabs and embossed them using the Emboss it Dabber and the Molten Dimensions
I clued the panels over the front and back ends of the box just to give it a more finished look.

The giant baseball in the back of this truck really cracks me up every time I look at it!  
It came out just as I had envisioned it - which doesn't always happen!

Eileen has posts on her blog every Wednesday sharing the projects from the Design Team members using her new Chapter 3 dies this month.  You can check it out here.

I'm also linking my truck box to:
Creatalicious Challenge -  Anything goes - optional travel/transport

Simon Says Wednesday Challenge - Simon Says Emboss it.


Stamps: 7th Inning Stretch - Papertrey Ink.
Paper: Little Sizzles white Matboard - Sizzix, Red Star Foil - Rinea, Vellum and white paper - Papertrey Ink.
Ink: Obsidian - Altenew, Emboss it Dabber - Ranger, Versamark.
Accessories: Truck Box Die, Ornament Box Die - Eileen Hull/Sizzix, circle die - Spellbinders, baseball image from computer, Micron 01 black pen - Sakura, Fude Ball 1.5 red marker - Ranger, foam tape, heat tool, Polished Silver Molten Dimensions Embossing Powder - Eileen Hull/Emerald Creek, Ultra Bond Adhesive - iCraft.

7 comments:

Christine Alexander said...

so cute Julia, any little boy (and big) would love one of these trucks :)

HilaryJane said...

Wo, that was a real construction project. Your finished truck looks incredible, love the silver embossing xx

Bonnie said...

Another awesome 3D project, Julia! It would be perfect to gift tickets to a baseball game too!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Just love all the details in your darling baseball truck, Julia!! Bril idea to use an ornament die for a couple of jumbo baseballs!!

Lisa Hoel said...

Sooooooo cute Julia!! =)

Loll said...

WOW! This is a labour of love, Julia. Amazing details that make it amazing! LOVE that red foil paper and the molten embossng powder that adds so much character to the silver metal pieces. Very cool! xx

Mac Mable said...

So creative, such fun and so unique x. Thank you for the step by steps Julia x.