Wednesday, February 19, 2020

James Skiing on TV - Eileen Hull's Display Stand Sizzix Die

Eileen Hull's Inspiration Team is continuing to create with her newly released Display Stand and Gift Box dies.  Every Wednesday the team's projects will be featured on Eileen's blog.

This week I have made a project to give to my 8 year old grandnephew, James, featuring a photo of him skiing this winter on a retro television!
I usually use white matboard to cut out Eileen's dies but I do have a few pieces of black matboard (no longer available on Sizzix site unfortunately)  and so I thought I'd try cutting the Display Stand die in black this time.   

For some reason, when I folded it all together - it looked like a TV set to me!!??!!   So then I Googled vintage retro TV images and scrolled through all the different sites that popped up until I found a TV image that I liked.

Then I decided that this photo I had of James (from his mother's FB page) would look nice on the TV screen.  I sized the photo to fit and printed it on white card stock.  I adhered it onto the TV screen and then covered the screen area with Glossy Accents to make it look like glass.  
I let it dry overnight and then adhered the image to the Display Stand die cut with lots of ScorTape as the Glossy Accents made the paper warp a bit and I wanted it held on flat.   I added little Neutral Candy Dots from Stampin' Up over the knobs printed on the TV to add some dimension.  I used stamps and dies from Two Feet Deep by PTI for the skis and sentiment.  The sentiment is popped up on foam dots.

This came out just how I had envisioned it in my head (which I'm sure you know doesn't always happen!?)  and I'm so happy with it! 
James skis most winter weekends with his family and also in an after school program and he's really getting good at it!  I think he will enjoy seeing himself skiing 'on TV'!

Eileen's Display Stand is a great platform to highlight special photos.
 
So then I had to make one for his 5 year old sister Madelyn, who isn't quite as skilled yet, as she just started last year, but she is a fearless wild woman on the slopes!!
And I made one for my other niece, featuring a lovely family photo!

Don't forget to check out Eileen's Blog to see more uses of her new dies!

If you haven't see this die before - you can check out how you fold it up on my previous post here.

Stamps:  Two Feet Deep - Papertrey Ink.
Paper:  White - PTI, Black Matboard - Sizzix (only white available now).
Ink:  Obsidian, Ultramarine - Altenew, Silver Pigment Ink - Color Box
Accessories:  Display Stand Bigz Die - Eileen Hull/Sizzix, Two Feet Deep Dies - Papertrey Ink, Sentiment Strip die - Neat and Tangled, Neutrals Candy Dots - Stampin Up, foam dots, ScorTape, Tombow Glue, Googled retro TV image.

6 comments:

Mac Mable said...

So creative and such fun. A very clever idea Julia and I bet they all loved them? x.

Christine Alexander said...

The TV die is so cute, makes for a great family frame :)

Karen Dunbrook said...

totally awesome!!
xx Karen

Loll said...

WOW!! These are so creative and fun memory keepers, Julia! You've created the retro TV perfectly. Your family is going to love these! xx

Bonnie said...

Isn't it nice when the idea comes out with the project? Fantastic and I'm sure James will be happy to see himself on tv!

Papercraft Boutique said...

Wow, you are so creative, Julia! I love these retro TVs, especially the Glossy Accent glass and the Candy Dots buttons! Wonderful memory keepers.
Hideko xx