Sunday, June 9, 2019

A Pansy Flower Journal

This month Eileen Hull's Inspiration Team is creating using her brand new Color Box Blends 2 inks and Emerald Creek Molten Dimensions Embossing Powders.
I made a journal using Eileen's newly released Notebook Die and adorned it with a die cut Pansy Flower.
The first decision I had to make was what colors I would use - and I looked through the array of Color Box Blends 2 that I had and pulled out Melon, Rose Gold and Flagstone.
I began with the flowers, cutting out each of the petal sizes twice out of watercolor paper using Eileen's Pansy Flower Die.  I sponged the largest and smallest petals with Rose Gold Blends 2 mixed with water on my craft mat and then sponged the medium size petals with Melon Blends 2 also mixed with water.  I love the mottled look achieved using this natural sponge.
While the watery ink was still wet  - I decided to emboss the largest and smallest petals with White Wonder Molten Dimensions.  I love the crackled look it gives when melted and you can still see some of the Rose Gold Blends 2 showing through.  (I ended up not using the smallest petal on my flower).
Then I die cut the Notebook out of Little Sizzles Matboard and sponged over some areas with Flagstone Blends 2 ink mixed on my craft mat with water.
I sponged over the rest of the cover with Melon Blends 2.  Just look at the wonderful mottled effect!
While the inks were still wet, I scattered some Golden Rod Molton Dimensions over the cover. I heat embossed it, holding my heat tool about 10" over the cover until the pieces started to melt and slowly moved my heat tool closer (to avoid having all the powder just scattering.)
Hopefully, you can see the wonderful shimmer of the gold in the photo below.
Next, I sponged the inside of the cover with the Melon Blends 2 mixed with water.  I also sponged just along the outside edges of the cover with Flagstone using what was left on the sponge.
I used two little notebooks for the notebook pages (from JoAnn sold in a package of 3)  I simply tied a piece of round white elastic cord through  the center of each notebook and around the binding of the notebook, knotting it on the outside to bind them to the cover.  That way they can be slipped in and out easily or replaced with full!
I tied a bird charm in the knot of one of the binding cords that matches the gold embossing.  I held the flower petals together with a pink plastic flower brad from my stash that just happened to match perfectly!  I glued the flower to the cover with Tombow Glue.
 I looped a silver elastic tassel for the closure of the notebook through the bindings so it won't fall off when opening the journal.
I like simple closures that are not bulky and are easy to open and close.

Please check out Eileen's blog during the month of June for lots of creative inspiraton using her new Color Box Blends 2 Inks and her Emerald Creek Molten Dimensions Embossing Powders!

I'm Linking my 3 3/4" x 5" Notebook to:


Paper:  Little Sizzles Matboard - Sizzix, watercolor paper - Canson
Inks:  Melon, Rose Gold, Flagstone - Eileen Hull/Color Box Blends 2
Accessories:  Golden Rod and White Wonder Molten Dimensions - Eileen Hull/Emerald Creek, Notebook Die, Pansy Flower Die - Eileen Hull/Sizzix, white round elastic cord, silver elastic tassel, bird charm, flower brad, water, Craft Mat, Tombow Glue.

11 comments:

Mac Mable said...

I so enjoyed reading the process and how you made this beautiful and creative notebook. Gorgeous colours and love the look of the mottled effect and the molten dimensions x

Christine Alexander said...

Wonderful journal Julia, I love the effect the colour blends created and love the colours you chose :)

Bonnie said...

This is another wonderful mixed media project, Julia! Love the flower with the beautiful color and texture! Thanks for sharing the process.

nancy littrell said...

Gorgeous Pansy Flower Journal, Julia. I love your color choices and the sponged mottled coloring plus heat embossing. Very artsy and unique. TFS all your photos with each step of your beautiful creation. Hugs..Nancy

Redanne said...

Your journal is stunning Julia, I love the mix of Blends with the molten powders, they look amazing and the flecks of gold look beautiful. A great tutorial too!

Whilst I am here, thank you so much for joining in with us at Mini Album Makers with your beautiful art! Hugs, Anne xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Another fabulous journal Julia and I so agree that mottled look is magnificent alongside those dots and dabs of embossing. Your matching flower really sets it all off so beautifully. Thank you for sharing your tutorial with us over at Mini Album makers. Creative Wishes Tracey DT

Papercraft Boutique said...

What a pretty journal inside and out, Julia! I love the color combination and the motted effect you achieved! The little bird charm is a nice touch.
I always enjoy your photo tutorials! Thank you so much for sharing this!
Hideko xx

Kim Heggins said...

What an amazing project...looks like you much have had so much fun creating this.

sarascloset said...

Gorgeous colors on this little book, Julia! The flower and touches of gold are stunning! I'm so happy to see the Molten Dimensions used, as they have been on my wish list. I am loving how the white makes the crackled effect and am moving that onto my need list! Sending hugs! Sara Emily

Gail said...

Very lovely and creative work - like how you created the flowers - TFS

Words and Pictures said...

Ooh, the embossing effects are spectacular here... especially those crackle-look off-white petals. A fabulous little album, as always.
Alison x