Monday, August 27, 2018

Another Eileen Hull Journal Purse!

As I mentioned in last weeks leather 'purse post'! -  I made a second one to share today - and this time I attached a leather cording loop to it so it could be carried on the wrist - or through a belt loop.
 I used Eileen's Sizzix Wrapped Journal Die for the purse and die cut the flowers using her Flower Heart and Soul die.  I used brown, grey and burgundy colors of leather that I purchased on Amazon.
 In the same fashion as  my first purse -  after folding up the bottom half of the journal die cut - I sewed around all the edges on my sewing machine with a 1/4" seam allowance.
  I hand sewed a large snap onto the flap and the body of the purse for the closure. This brown leather is softer and thinner than the gray I used last week - and it was much easier to get the needle through to sew on the snap!
I glued the layers of flowers together with Beacon 3 In 1 Advanced Craft Glue and then put a brad through the center hole.  I glued the flower to the front of the purse over the stitching that showed from attaching the snap.
 To add the handle, I punched a hole with my Cropadile on the top fold of the purse about 1/2" in from the edge.
 When I bought the scraps of leather - I also bought a package of leather cording.  

 I cut a piece about 12" long, folded it in half and pushed the two ends through the hole on the purse.
I pushed a threaded needle through the soft parts of the leather cording and wrapped the thread around the pieces a few times - then knotted the thread.
I laid the end flat and put a big dab of glue under it.
 It seems to be holding on quite well so far!  I've been walking around the house with it dangling from my wrist!  And you can't really put a ton of stuff in the purse that would make it super heavy!
The closed purse measures about 4 1/2" x 5".
All this month, members of Eileen's Inspiration Team are making projects using some of their favorite Eileen/Sizzix dies.  Please check out her blog where Eileen is gathering all of the projects!

 

Accessories:  Wrapped Journal Die, Flower Heart and Soul die - Eileen Hull/Sizzix,  leather scraps and leather cording - Amazon, Urban Prairie Glazed Brad - Basic Grey, Sew On Snap Size 10 - Joann, strong black thread, sewing needle, sewing machine, Cropadile, Beacon 3 in 1 Advanced Craft Glue - Walmart.   

7 comments:

Mac Mable said...

Clever use of the die. So unique and the die cut flower is gorgeous. Thank you for the fabulous inspiration X

Words and Pictures said...

The perfect little gift - this is just lovely, Julia.
Alison x

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Very cool, Julia!

Bonnie said...

Another fantastic, clever and useful project! Love the flower that decorates the purse! What a great idea to put a strap on it!

froebelsternchen said...

Your purses are so pretty Julia! What a special design!Perfect gifts! Absolutely adorable!
Hugs Susi

nancy littrell said...

Beautiful leather coin purse, Julia. You are so clever and creative, my friend. Hugs

Papercraft Boutique said...

This purse is so lovely too, Julia! You really ARE a crafter, handling the leather so well. The leather cording loop is practical and pretty! I always enjoy your photo tutorials! Hideko xx