Monday, March 24, 2008

What a Pear - Flap Fold Anniversary Card



Well - I went to Jury Duty this morning and I'm happy to say they didn't need any jurors today so we were dismissed a little after 12 noon. The only trial up today chose to let the judge decide the case. Phew!! I believe in doing my civic duty and certainly would have served if empanelled - but I'm just as happy that they didn't need me!

So of course I went shopping at AC Moore and got some nice pieces of designer paper - one of which I used on this card today - it's by K & Company - Amy Butler.

What a great Try a New Technique challenge they had on SCS today - a Flap Fold card - I have been wanting to try one of these. Guest hostess JoLynn found this tutorial by Rose Ann Reynolds on the Scor-pal site.

I made mine an anniversary card - I used my Coluzzle circle and knife to cut the curved top edge and the flap is kept closed with a Magnetic snap Closure by Basic Grey that I purchased on line at Eclectic Paperie. I stamped the pear twice with embossing clear ink and covered it with Denim Embossing Powder from Adirondack. I colored them with my Prismacolor markers. Then I cut one with a nestability circle and cut out the other. I had to stamp an extra leaf to have one going to the left. I put one pear up on dimensionals as well as the sentiment. I sponged the edges of the flap, the circles and the sentiment with Buckaroo Blue ink.
On the inside pictures you can see where I put one piece of the magnetic closure on the top flap - I attached it with a glue dot - the other piece is underneath the verse panel. You add the panel to cover the magnet. You also can see that I stamped the pear over the verse to add a little interest. I used my Soft Sand Shadow ink by Memories so you could still read the words.

I'm also submitting this card to the Caardvarks Homegrown challenge - to use fruit or vegetables on your card. See that challenge here.


Well - I'm off to cook supper for my starving husband who just finished up painting our bedroom walls and ceiling - he really is a handy-man! I love the smell of fresh paint and it's fun to have a room done over - almost like you are in a new house! Now I have to decorate to go with the new color (Marlboro Blue).

I also have to design a card my sister wants for her brother-in law who is retiring - he loves race car driving and is moving to Arizona so I have to incorporate those two things into the card! Fun Challenge!

Thanks for dropping in today - keep your eyes peeled for my retirement card - it may get posted tonight or maybe not until tomorrow! I still have to do my taxes too! (can you tell I'm avoiding that!!??)



Stamps: Pear: Rubber Stampede, Sentiment: Karen Foster Snap Stamps, verse: Verses Rubber Stamps
Paper: River Rock, Buckaroo Blue, Very Vanilla, DP: K&Co Amy Butler
Ink: Buckaroo Blue, Pitch Black Adirondack , Soft Sand Shadow - Memories
Accessories: Coluzzle Circle Cutting System, tag punch, oval punch, brad, Scor-pal, denim EP Adirondack, Hot Gun, paper piercer, sponge, magnetic snap closure - Basic Grey, glue dots, dimensionals, prismacolor markers
Techniques: sponging, coluzzle, embossing

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those pears are so fun and perfect for this card ... love the colors.

Pat (mspfd) said...

Awesome card, Julia. I love pear stamps and I absolutely love what you did with yours. Great DP!

Deb Wood said...

This is wonderful, love those pears and the sweet sentiment!

Linsey R said...

wow, you're a busy one! Jury duty, taxes, requests for specialty custom cards...not to mention work, home life and this fabulous fruit card creation--how do you do it?! This is so very lovely, what neat patterned pears! Hey, jury duty had a plus side afterall, you got some new dp's and this is beautiful! Glad you're out of that although, not so easy to get out of taxes, hehe! I didn't finish ours until late last week, and that was only due to my DH's continuous picking...and they say women nag, ha! I hope you win the Cardvaark challenge because you are wonderful and so is every single thing you create! hugs

dpkennedy said...

Oh Julia this is adorable! I love pears....I don't know why, but they are one of my favorite images...of fruit I guess! That sounds so funny! Love it!