Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Masculine Ride

I feel like it's a Saturday because I'm on vacation and I've been home all day puttering around!

I needed to create a masculine birthday card for our next card stamping workshop that 2 friends and I run at our church so I used today's sketch challenge as well as Monday's Try a New Technique challenge over at SCS to help me design it. I chose darker colors for my panels and card since it's for a guy. I had this fun cobblestone DP that I thought would look like a road or a wall around my antique truck. I purchased it at Michaels. I rubbed creamy caramel on the cuttlebug mesh folder before embossing it on the Kraft panel. This was the technique challenge - negative cuttlebug and the instructions from SCS are listed below. The edges of the car and sentiment are sponged and the car edges are distressed as well. I just used little pieces for the green around my panel - one on top and one on bottom rather than adding yet another layer to this card!! Both of my stamps are from Stampin Up - Classic Pickups and It's Your Birthday sets.

Here are Ann's instructions for the negative cuttlebug technique:

1. Take your CB folder and open it up so the negative side is facing down on your table. This is the side where the CB logo is. 2. Using whatever color ink, and whatever type of ink, ink up the negative side using either a sponge, brayer or the ink pad itself if you are using spots or the petal chalk inks. 3. Lay your cardstock over your inked side, close the folder and run it through your CB. Make sure to wash your folder ASAP, to avoid any staining from the ink. 4. Now you have an inked and embossed image to add that extra touch to your card!! Remember, if you are using chalk or pigment inks, you will want to wait for them to dry before putting your panel on your card. You can also use your heat gun to help them dry.

Hope you have a great rest of your night! I'm off to bed soon - I need to catch up on some sleep if at all possible!

Stamps: SU: Classic Pickups & It's your Birthday
Paper: Always artichoke, Kraft, choc chip, DP Rock Pathway by Jill Webster (Michaels)
Ink: Espresso Adirondack
Accessories: Cuttlebug folder: mesh, dimensionals, sponge
Techniques: negative cuttlebug, sponging

4 comments:

Linsey R said...

Oooh, neat one, Julia! That road looks absolutely real! Really fabulous card! thanks for the note on my blog--sorry I missed that you were also tagged by Danielle, guess I was too busy looking at all your other wonderful stuff!

Deb Wood said...

What a fabulous masculine card, love that rock paper and thanks for the clue as to which is the negative side of the CB!

Corie said...

This is FANTASTIC -- great guy card!!

Beverly said...

Julia.. this card ROCKS - pun intended.. hahaha! That dp is perfect for your man ride! Gosh.. wish I could come to your card class, cause this would make a perfect Father's Day Card! I just really love it!