Friday, April 28, 2023

Group of Seven - April Technique - AI's on Round Gel Plate

 It's time for the April Group of Seven Cardmakers Technique Post.   Christine suggested we try Alcohol Inks on a Gel Plate.  A supply list and instructions are all listed over at the blog.

Here are some cards I created using this technique for the backgrounds!



Below are a few photos of how I made a gel print.

Drop some 91% rubbing alcohol onto the 4" Round Gel Press Plate.  Then drop your chosen ink colors onto the Gel Plate.  I used Pink Sherbet, Citrus and Lemonade AI's on this one.
Blow the inks around the Gel Plate.
Place a panel of white card over the plate and press over the panel.  Here you can see some ink seeping through the card - which is normal.
Pull the panel off the Gel Plate and you have your print!  
Every time you do it, it will look different!
Two prints using Citrus, Glacier and Raisin AI's.
Two prints - Top one using Sunshine Yellow and Pink Sherbert , bottom adding Citrus, to Sunshine Yellow and Pink Sherbert.AI's.
Two prints using Citrus, Aqua and Dijon AI's
Once you start making prints - it's hard to stop!


I'm linking this card to:
Option: real birds

Linking this card to:
Things that Fly
And
First time using the numbers and dragonfly stamps


Linking this card to:
Anything Goes


You'll find more lovely samples from the rest of the Seven over at the blog as well as a Mr. Linky for you to link up your cards using this technique.  We look forward to see what you create as well!



It's the Little Things
Stamps:  Rory and Dory, Small Trees, Ducks in Flight, Mini Flowers, Mini Slender Mushrooms, Gate and Fence - Lavinia.
Paper - White - Papertrey Ink
Ink:  Alcohol Inks - Aqua, Citrus, Lemonade and a little bit of Fiesta (that was on the plate from a prior pull), Nocturne Versafine Clair.
Accessories:  4" round Gel Press Plate, air bulb - Ranger, 91% Rubbing Alcohol, Clear Glitter Wink of Stella, Small Talk Stickers - Tim Holtz/Idea-ology

Make a Wish Upon Your Birthday Star
Stamps:  Star Gazer Additions - Papertrey Ink (retired).
Paper:  White - Papertrey Ink
Ink:  Alcohol Inks - Citrus, Glacier, Raisin, Nocturne Versafine Clair, Ranger Distress Broken China.
Accessories:   4" round Gel Press Plate, air bulb - Ranger, 91% Rubbing Alcohol, Clear Glitter Wink of Stella, Milky Way Stencil - Colorful Life Design, Silver Star Confetti - Honey Bee, blender brush.

It's Time to Celebrate
Stamps:  Dragonfly and Hare - Carabelle Studio,  Sentiment Suite: Birthday - The Greetery.
Paper:  White - Papertrey Ink.
Ink:Alcohol Inks - Citrus, Sunshine Yellow, Pink Sherbet, Wendy Vecchi/Ranger Die Ink Fern Green, Nocturne Versarine Clair.
Accessories: 4" round Gel Press Plate, air bulb - Ranger, 91% Rubbing Alcohol, Clear Glitter Wink of Stella, Tuxedo Hearts - Honey Bee. 

23 comments:

Marcia Hill said...

All 3 of your cards are FABULOUS Julia, but I am especially loving the first one! The little scene in the circle is so FUN!! I think I need to pull out my gelli plate and my Lavinia stamps and have a play!! Thanks for the great inspiration!! :0)

Christine Alexander said...

Julia, you certainly had fun with this one. Love all your colour combos especially the blue mix and your little scene is so cute ♥

Loll said...

I LOVE the cards you've created using these beautiful backgrounds. The first card is so magical with collage of stamping ... perfect with the colours you've used. The other two are the same ... perfect match to the colours with your images. Great work Julia! xx

Brenda in IN said...

This has been so much fun and I love the results you got. I love them all, especially the birthday card. That is so cool.

Sue N said...

Wow, Julia, I love all of the cool backgrounds you made and the cards you've created already are amazing! I don't have a gel press, but I might do some experimenting with what I have for some neat BG's for cards! Thanks for your inspiration! Sue

Darlene said...

OH WOW these are awesome! Beautifully crafted! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
DOUBLE D
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Triple B ... OUR NEW CHALLENGE BLOG which is all about butterflies, birds & blooms.

nancy littrell said...

Thank you Julia for sharing ALL your gelli print using alcohol inks backgrounds for your beautiful cards. I loved how you used them for many different occasions too. I Always appreciate your detailed descriptions and photos too, my friend. Love and Hugs..can't wait to play along:-)

Lisa Elton said...

These are all fantastic Julia! I think the first one is my favorite. All of those little silhouettes in your scene are darling!

Darnell said...

How fun to scroll down your post, sis! With each design, I was oohing and then aahing and I still can't pick a fave - they are ALL fantastic! I love how you did a photo tute to show the process, which is so helpful, especially if one is a visual learner. Huge thumb's up! Hugs, Darnell

kiwimeskreations said...

Stunning work Julia - I think the top one is my favourite. I may be biased as I wish to thank you for entering it at We Love Stamping this month, and for using the optional theme
Blessings
Maxine WLS DT

brenda said...

So what am I going to do this morning I wonder!

Absolutely love your card and the scene created against the fabulous backdrop, in fact they are all lovely. I've seen mention of using alcohol inks with the Gel plate many times but always resisted as wondered if it would clean off but your link had answered that one.

Many thanks for sharing with us at We Love Stamping April challenge.

B x

Bonnie said...

You got wonderful prints, Julia, and found perfect stamps to go with them! Your tutorial is great to show the steps. I'm sure it will inspire others to try this technique.

Birgit said...

These are really beautiful! Thanks for linking up to the Double D Challenge. Best of luck to you!

aussie aNNie said...

Brilliant and magical designs, thanks for adding to my facebook group and Christine is one great teacher.. thanks also for linking to our Double D challenge xx

Susan said...

Beautiful prints, wonderful colour combinations, and great choices of stamps to use on top of the AI prints!

Kristin Sluhan said...

What a great technique and your cards are beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing the details on how you did it...Now I'm inspired to get a shaped gel plate! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment...

Cathy said...

Wonderful cards and thankyou for the pic tutorial. This looks like such a fun technique. Thankyou too for playing along at Seize the Birthday, Cathy x

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Oooo - just love the results of your AI gelli plate technique, Julia!! Thanks for sharing the various prints & I love the finished cards you shared!!

HilaryJane said...

That looks like a brilliant way to make backgrounds. we will all be having a go now. Love the cards you have made so far and I shall look forward to seeing the others in due course. Lovely to see you in the we love stamping gallery too xx

Nancy said...

Julia, I totally enjoyed reading and looking through your pics this morning while having my coffee. Awesome set of cards and now I think I need a Gelli plate. Your work is done. LOL. Thanks for linking up with us at Seize the Birthday!

Papercraft Boutique said...

A fantastic trio of AI's on gel plate cards, Julia! You've got wonderful results with this technique! The color combos are wonderful, and I especially love the sweet scene you created for the first card. It's like a page from a children's picture book. Thanks so much for your tutorial with lots of photos! It's super helpful for a visual learner like me. :-)
Hideko xx

StephW said...

Gorgeous makes from your lovely gel print results, your fairy scene is my fav x

Pat said...

Wow, you made so many beautiful backgrounds Julia and I love all the different stamps and the pretty heart stencil, and I particularly love that fun dragonfly..a bit steampunky, if that is the right word...lol. Thank you for the tip of using the sanitiser to clean the gel plate..I will give it a try. x