Saturday, June 6, 2020

Butterflies for the Graduate

A friend of mine asked if I could make a Graduation card for her 11 year old granddaughter, Lila, who is graduating from 5th grade -  I guess 6th grade must be Middle School, hence the graduation out of Elementary School!   
My friend is giving Lila a butterfly bracelet as a graduation gift so she asked if I could put butterflies on the card.

So I searched on Pinterest for a butterfly card to get ideas for a creative design and I found this wonderful Double Diamond Fold card. 
It looks pretty impressive sitting here like an award or something doesn't it?! It was really easy to fold - the hardest part was figuring out what papers and butterflies to use!

Here is the tutorial on flutterbyheidi's blog which includes a YouTube video

I used Vintage Cream cardstock for the base, Royal Velvet for the frames and white card stock covered with Painted Fantasy wide Washi Tape from Altenew on the smallest panels. 
I used Tim Holtz/Sizzix Detailed Butterflies/Mini die for the big butterfly, cutting it out of vellum, a light purple DP and Metallic Gold - adhering the 3 layers just at the center body piece using Tombow Glue.
The butterfly and tiny butterflies on the sides are two separate Martha Stewart punches.
View from the back -  there's plenty of space to write a message on the two back panels and that middle area.
The whole thing flattens down easily for mailing - limited only by how high your butterfly at the top is.
Mine will actually fit (snugly) into an regular A2 envelope as shown below, but the top wing might get a little bent so I gave my friend a A7 (5 1/4" x 7 1/4") invitation size envelope to use if she is mailing it.
I just love how this card stands up and can be proudly displayed by the graduate!  
It would be lovely for any special occasion when you want a little more than just a flat card!

I'm entering my graduation card into the following challenges:
Optional Twist - Success (graduation!)
Anything Goes





Stamps:  Keep It Simple: Graduation - PTI, You Did it!  from A Year of Sweet Sentiments - Taylored Expressions (retired), Karen Foster mini letter and number snap stamps (retired).
Paper:  Vintage Cream, White, Royal Velvet, Vellum - PTI, Metallic Gold Kraft Stock - Tim Holtz/Idea-ology.
Accessories:  Dienamic Sentiment Strips - MFT, Detailed Butterflies Mini dies - Tim Holtz/Sizzix, Painted Fantasy Washi Tape - Altenew, butterfly detailed punch,  3 butterflies punch - Martha Stewart, Tombow Glue

8 comments:

Marcia Hill said...

What a beautiful graduation card Julia! All those gold butterflies are SO pretty and I love the folds on this card too. Thanks so much for the how to link you provided...I will definitely have to check it out! :0)

Papercraft Boutique said...

Wow, another wonderful foldable 3D project, Julia! You friend and Lila will love this personalized card. Thank you for sharing the video link! It's like origami, that I used to love when I was a kid. I'd love to make one. :-)
Hideko xx

Bonnie said...

Congratulations to Lila on her moving up to Middle School! What a fun card! I'm sure she will treasure it!

nancy littrell said...

OMG..Gorgeous 3D fold graduation card, Julia. Your friend and Lila will treasure her one of a kind card. TFS the video. I think this design would be beautiful for a wedding card:-) TFS my friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Joyce said...

What a fabulous card, and such an interesting and spectacular folding system. Thanks so much for playing along at Time Out.

Loll said...

Sweet! Lila is going to LOVE this card Julia! How special to celebrate your 5th grade graduation. I love the papers you've used and the gorgeous butterfly at the top of the diamond. I have made a few of the pop-up box cards that fold flat. They really are fun to make and such a surprise for the recipient when they pop open. xx

Gerrina said...

Such a super special shaped card! Great how you used those beautiful butterflies! Think your friend and her granddaughter both will be stunned by this one! Thank you for joining us at TIME OUT!

ScrappyHorses said...

What a beautiful card! The design is incredible and I'm sure the young grad will love it with her bracelet! The paper choices and those gold butterflies are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing with us at Path of Positivity. ~Katrina